Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Is Merkley injured?

According to one of the ushers at tonights game he was sent home. He said it was for "discipline". Apparently there is trouble in the dressing room. He said there was a big meeting and then he was sent home. It appears that his arrogance is not benefitting him at all and he is not changing his ways. Also would expect his draft ranking is going to keep falling.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
According to one of the ushers at tonights game he was sent home. He said it was for "discipline". Apparently there is trouble in the dressing room. He said there was a big meeting and then he was sent home. It appears that his arrogance is not benefitting him at all and he is not changing his ways. Also would expect his draft ranking is going to keep falling.

I wondered about this as well - if he was sat to tune him in. However, the “official” report is that he had an undisclosed injury and was day to day, and was hopeful to play Saturday against Barrie. I’m not sure I would take an usher’s report as an official source, as many can’t even control patrons moving to their seats when play is ongoing - not exactly “in the know” as far as I’m concerned. But, ya never know.....
I wouldn’t be against a message being sent - and I’m a fan of Merkley’s talent - I wouldn’t mind seeing a tune-up in a couple of areas, for his own good and future.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Having said that, that was a weird game tonight. Both goalies should have been yanked before the first period was over.....given that it was not exactly a goaltending duel, Merk might have come in handy during the 3 on 3 OT.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
I feel for Popovich. I can honestly say that I've never seen 2 own goals in a game. Heart breaking. Glad to see the boys play hard and not give up. As for the Merkley issue sitting for injury or discipline reasons, I do know a couple of the ushers have inside connections and it's very possible that he was sat for disciplinary reasons. And if he was, I say it's about time the coaching staff/ team took a stand with him.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Pucklife you didn't start anything. People, myself included see or hear things about the players that give indications on how things are going with the team. We speculate, voice our opinions, add information to other posts. Have conversations. Which I might add gets heated at times. But we all have one thing in common, we all want the Storm to put their best skate forward.

Reactions: PuckLife

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
It was nice to get a point after the way the game started, but in a game where the Storm scored 8 goals they should get a point. 2 points if all are in the opponents net. Full marks for the comeback and shaking off the first period.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
No words about last night's game.

What words would you like?
He is a skilled, talented, offensive first, defensive liability, immature, arrogant hockey player.
Next week he will be able to put on a show for the whole country on Sportsnet.
Last night he got rocked on a clean hit at the blue line by Tucker with his head down.
Took another slashing penalty from his knees after he was hit to the ice by Willms at the Storm bench.
Got hit from behind by Brown in the corner and drew a penalty and then took a ten minute misconduct.
The Storm scored three goals in a row and tied the game with him in the box at 3-3.
Its too bad his discipline or injury didn't keep him out of the line up longer!

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
He is a skilled, talented, offensive first, defensive liability, immature, arrogant hockey player.
Last night he got rocked on a clean hit at the blue line by Tucker with his head down.
Took another slashing penalty from his knees after he was hit to the ice by Willms at the Storm bench.
Got hit from behind by Brown in the corner and drew a penalty and then took a ten minute misconduct.
The Storm scored three goals in a row and tied the game with him in the box at 3-3.

Might be why he is scratched again today.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Chico Maki I agree with everything you've said but I was talking about the team as a whole. Slow starts, lazy play isn't going to cut it. Not sure what's up but whatever it is they better find a solution....fast.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
What are the chances of a team maybe taking a flyer on Cedric Ralph as an overage draft pick? Obviously the size is not good but he can keep up with the best of them, and always knows where to go.

Reactions: hocknow

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
As a long time STH I am deeply concerned for this team. The last two years were hard, but I stuck it out because of the light at the end of the tunnel. In my decade plus buying season tickets I have never been so disgusted with the team on the ice. The lack of commitment, lackluster play, selfishness, laziness and so many more adjectives that can be placed on this team. There are a few guys that come to play every game and we all know who they are, but way too many don't seem to give a s__t. I have decided on many occasions this year to not attend games as I don't need the frustration in my life and I'm seriously thinking about not claiming my playoffs tickets. Why pay good money to go to two games we'll get slaughtered in by the SOO. Yes I'm positive we are going to drop that far. Thank God for redemption games, that way I can turn in unused tickets an let some kids in the neighbourhood see a game. They don't care win or loose, just being there is enough for them. Like many of the guys that pull on the Storm sweater. The old saying play for the emblem on the front, not the name on the back doesn't seem to apply on this version of the Storm. Well not to many more decisions to make in regards to attending games, March is just around the corner and the normal season end for the Storm is near.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
As a long time STH I am deeply concerned for this team. The last two years were hard, but I stuck it out because of the light at the end of the tunnel. In my decade plus buying season tickets I have never been so disgusted with the team on the ice. The lack of commitment, lackluster play, selfishness, laziness and so many more adjectives that can be placed on this team. There are a few guys that come to play every game and we all know who they are, but way too many don't seem to give a s__t. I have decided on many occasions this year to not attend games as I don't need the frustration in my life and I'm seriously thinking about not claiming my playoffs tickets. Why pay good money to go to two games we'll get slaughtered in by the SOO. Yes I'm positive we are going to drop that far. Thank God for redemption games, that way I can turn in unused tickets an let some kids in the neighbourhood see a game. They don't care win or loose, just being there is enough for them. Like many of the guys that pull on the Storm sweater. The old saying play for the emblem on the front, not the name on the back doesn't seem to apply on this version of the Storm. Well not to many more decisions to make in regards to attending games, March is just around the corner and the normal season end for the Storm is near.
Geo, at this point I don't think that we will have to worry about the playoffs. I don't think they'll make it. But if by some miracle they do we will not be picking up our playoff tickets either and rethinking about next year's season tickets.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Geo, at this point I don't think that we will have to worry about the playoffs. I don't think they'll make it. But if by some miracle they do we will not be picking up our playoff tickets either and rethinking about next year's season tickets.

I would have to say Geo is correct in saying that the Storm will finish 8th and play Soo in the first round, two home playoff games. Erie only has 8 games left and would have to win at least 6 of 8 to put them ahead of the Storm, without Guelph getting any points in their final 9 games. Possible but not likely. Windsor has 9 games remaining and lilely could go 4-5 with Guelph maybe going something like 3-6 in their 9 games. That may even be generous with their recent performance, suspension to Samurokov, health of Hillis and the ongoing saga with the Golden Boy. Tony Saxon tweeted this afternoon that indeed he was a healthy scratch, he knows why, and that it is between George/Ryan.

Reactions: hocknow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad