Value of: gucci kane to the preds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's either the Sharks buy out the contract themselves ($$$ cost + AAV for 6 years) or they PAY someone else to do it (in assets with OR without retention)

There's no other way around it

Or they just bury him for the remainder of his deal. That or the buyout is the most likely scenario. They're not paying someone else to take him.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
True enough. Has Kane been suspended before for off field issues?
The gambling on hockey and wife beater accusations seem to have been unfounded.

Id have to double check on the history. Leauge mandated suspension for non-hockey related issues... I dont think so. If a winnipeg fan stumbles across this though, I think there was a team instituted suspention for some nonsense a few yrs back.

Reactions: Groo

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Or they just bury him for the remainder of his deal. That or the buyout is the most likely scenario. They're not paying someone else to take him.

It depends what they want to do. If they are rebuilding and don't mind the additional AAV from the buyout, then they can do it themselves

Maybe these E.Kane threads exist because SJ's plans aren't clear yet.

Kane is just misunderstood, that’s all.

:laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It depends what they want to do. If they are rebuilding and don't mind the additional AAV from the buyout, then they can do it themselves

Maybe these E.Kane threads exist because SJ's plans aren't clear yet.

They aren't rebuilding but they're not in a position where they have expendable assets to pay a team to take a bad deal off their hands. They aren't clear but they have limited options. Nobody wants him in their room and teams willing to eat cap have to be paid to do so and the Sharks won't do that. They will either suspend him for the season, bury him, or play him. I can't imagine the room being okay with bringing him back and suspending him while on the books is dumb unless you waive him and assign him to the AHL first to save some cap.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
No one is giving a 1st round pick for a discount on Evander Kane and no one gives a rats ass about San Jose’s cap space in this deal. They should be thrilled if they could find a sucker to take him at half price if they can’t terminate the contract (and don’t count on that being a sure thing), teams can just wait for the inevitable buyout at this point if they have any interest in Kane.

Assuming San Jose can’t figure out someway to terminate the contract, a buyout next off-season would save them 5m in salary (out of the remaining 15m in salary, a buyout doesn’t help with the 4m left in signing bonuses) and sticks them with six years of various cap hits.

If another team would actually be stupid enough to take this ticking time bomb/future PR disaster/legal nightmare off their hands at half off… let’s say even after his 2m signing bonus is paid next July, they still would save 1/2 of the remaining 17m owed (8.5m) and have a 3.5m cap hit for three years.

The buyout only has one year with a slightly better hit, then a worse one and three more years of cap hits. The trade would save them millions and get Kane out of their hair (again, assuming a termination ends up not being possible), they should be so lucky. He’s virtually untradable.

View attachment 472091
Lmao it’d be worth a cup win. He’d put the leafs over the top and they’d win a cup with Kane.

Kane-Mathews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kase
Engravil-Spezza-Ritchie

E.Kane is the Antonio brown of the NHL.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They aren't rebuilding but they're not in a position where they have expendable assets to pay a team to take a bad deal off their hands. They aren't clear but they have limited options. Nobody wants him in their room and teams willing to eat cap have to be paid to do so and the Sharks won't do that. They will either suspend him for the season, bury him, or play him. I can't imagine the room being okay with bringing him back and suspending him while on the books is dumb unless you waive him and assign him to the AHL first to save some cap.
They’re presumably going to buy him out, other teams have bit the bullet and bought out players with similar sized deals (Shattenkirk, Turris, Parise, Suter).

The Islanders buried Ladd because he was paid mostly with signing bonuses and only had the 1m salaries each year which made him buyout proof. At 5.5m cap hit in the minors was lower than what a buyout cap hit would be (~4.5m vs ~4.8m).

Kane’s contract isn’t ideal for it but it certainly is way better to buy out than bury. It seems pretty inevitable at this point, it’s pretty tough to wiggle out of these deals so I doubt they’ll find a way to terminate it. It also seems unlikely that Kane is coming back to that locker room this season.

I don’t see why any team would trade for him, it’s easier to wait for the inevitable buyout and get him on a much cheaper deal if they were still willing to roll the dice on this screw-up.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I want everyone to know 95% of Sharks fans would take Kane off the team by any means necessary at this point. I personally would be fine with 50% retention because the Sharks may be forced to buy him out in the summer if they can’t terminate his contract
Kane at 50% retained in an Eichel deal could be interesting. Would he waive his NTC to be traded again before the deadline and or bought out in the summer? He would never actually play for the Sabres.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Not sure why they didnt just terminate his contract like LA did with Mike Richards at this point.

Just a friendly reminder that LA has a "termination fee" cap hit from Mike Richards that will last until 2032. That wasn't a typo. 2032.

People have been bringing up Richards for years thinking it's an example of just getting out of a contract. But it doesn't work that way.

If San Jose terminates Kane's contract, which seems unlikely now, they'd most likely still get hit with a cap penalty or fee.

Reactions: kingpest19

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Lmao it’d be worth a cup win. He’d put the leafs over the top and they’d win a cup with Kane.

Kane-Mathews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kase
Engravil-Spezza-Ritchie

E.Kane is the Antonio brown of the NHL.
How exactly would he put them over the top? There's a greater chance that he'd be a locker room problem again before they would come close to a Cup.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
True enough. Has Kane been suspended before for off field issues?
The gambling on hockey and wife beater accusations seem to have been unfounded.
He’s been hated by multiple teammates before, to go along with his legal issues

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I would expect some team in contention to make a play and as part of the deal send a contract back in order to accommodate Kane's salary as part of the deal. I also wouldn't be expecting much of a return for Kane.
I don't expect the Sharks will have to retain nor have to give up a 1st+ to make it happen
You’re going to be absolutely devastated when you see what actually happens with Kane then. Even your own team doesn’t want him around …

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Just a friendly reminder that LA has a "termination fee" cap hit from Mike Richards that will last until 2032. That wasn't a typo. 2032.

People have been bringing up Richards for years thinking it's an example of just getting out of a contract. But it doesn't work that way.

If San Jose terminates Kane's contract, which seems unlikely now, they'd most likely still get hit with a cap penalty or fee.

The fee seems pretty minimal though

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They’re presumably going to buy him out, other teams have bit the bullet and bought out players with similar sized deals (Shattenkirk, Turris, Parise, Suter).

The Islanders buried Ladd because he was paid mostly with signing bonuses and only had the 1m salaries each year which made him buyout proof. At 5.5m cap hit in the minors was lower than what a buyout cap hit would be (~4.5m vs ~4.8m).

Kane’s contract isn’t ideal for it but it certainly is way better to buy out than bury. It seems pretty inevitable at this point, it’s pretty tough to wiggle out of these deals so I doubt they’ll find a way to terminate it. It also seems unlikely that Kane is coming back to that locker room this season.

I don’t see why any team would trade for him, it’s easier to wait for the inevitable buyout and get him on a much cheaper deal if they were still willing to roll the dice on this screw-up.

Seems most likely that it ends in a buyout but there are options I'm sure they will exhaust first like waiving him and then assigning him to the AHL when nobody claims him. Then they'll see if he reports and go from there. If he does, they save some cap this year and buy him out in the offseason. If he doesn't, they will at the very least suspend him which should remove him from the cap. They could try to use this as leverage to get a mutual termination. Leave him in suspension limbo due to him not reporting unless he agrees to that but buyout seems more on brand for the Sharks. I just can't put it past them considering all the shit he's done to drag them into these messes.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
How exactly would he put them over the top? There's a greater chance that he'd be a locker room problem again before they would come close to a Cup.
Locker room problem doesn’t effect on ice production. I played AAA with a brutal person who everyone hated and had warnings by the coach to be kicked off of the team. He was a top 5 player but not the best but he’d constantly put down teammates and use racial slurs against a black player on the team which lead him to quit the team and we still won provincials and every tournament we went in.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Locker room problem doesn’t effect on ice production. I played AAA with a brutal person who everyone hated and had warnings by the coach to be kicked off of the team. He was a top 5 player but not the best but he’d constantly put down teammates and use racial slurs against a black player on the team which lead him to quit the team and we still won provincials and every tournament we went in.
That still doesn't explain how he would put them over the top.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
That still doesn't explain how he would put them over the top.
Well the leafs lost in the first round without Tavares add Tavares and the leafs make it to the final since Montreal made it to the final and the leafs in this scenario beat Montreal. Toronto vs a much weaker tampa team and a true elite power forward in E.Kane to replace Hyman. Kane probably puts up 40 goals and 70 points in the regular season and dominates in the post season where his style of play excels. He’d be the 2nd best winger on the leafs better then Nylander and under Marner

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wow, that sounds terrible and if that was a workplace there would have been some potentially serious problems there (and there should have been anyway, and the “brutal person” should have been dealt with). The NHL is a workplace and a business, and Kane getting back into that locker room involves more than just his play at this point.

Ryan Suter wasn’t bought out because he was playing poorly, Guerin was overhauling the team culture on the Wild. I would be surprised if Kane played for the Sharks again and if he doesn’t play for the Sharks again then he’ll probably end up being bought out.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Well the leafs lost in the first round without Tavares add Tavares and the leafs make it to the final since Montreal made it to the final and the leafs in this scenario beat Montreal. Toronto vs a much weaker tampa team and a true elite power forward in E.Kane to replace Hyman. Kane probably puts up 40 goals and 70 points in the regular season and dominates in the post season where his style of play excels. He’d be the 2nd best winger on the leafs better then Nylander and under Marner
Lol, they lost in the previous two first rounds with him.

That's being overly optimistic to think Kane would score that much on the Leafs. And he definitely isn't going to dominate the playoffs like you think he would

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lol, they lost in the previous two first rounds with him.

That's being overly optimistic to think Kane would score that much on the Leafs. And he definitely isn't going to dominate the playoffs like you think he would
I think he’d be the best player in the playoffs. He’s one of the most competitive players in the nhl. Probably one of the hardest workers In NHL history. He is a beast and can put a team over the edge.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Why would any team take on Kane at this point in time
I would look hard at him at 50%. He is a a 30 goal scorer and while he is a piece of work off the ice, he is a force on the ice. He brings just what we need at second line RW and would allow us to move Yamamoto down the lineup a little.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I think he’d be the best player in the playoffs. He’s one of the most competitive players in the nhl. Probably one of the hardest workers In NHL history. He is a beast and can put a team over the edge.
Like I said, you're being overly optimistic. He's not really a beast in the playoffs and I don't see him becoming one at age 30

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

How would the Leafs add his $7 Million dollar salary? WHY would the Leafs do that?

It seems to me adding another high priced forward isn't where their cap money should go, nevermind for a headcase like Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad