Value of: gucci kane to the preds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Its time to let the boy get back to the South.

Evander has made it clear that his tenure in Atlanta was the best time of his career and he enjoyed playing in a Southern Market .

Preds desperately need more dudes that can pot ginos.

I think the nurtuing atmosphere of the South, chill media environment and genial culture will allow him to thrive and reignite his passion for life and for the game .

Proposal:

To SJS: Nick Cousins

to Preds : Gucci Kane (50% retained )

Country Club Line
Tolvanen-Granlund-Kunin
Kane-Novak-Tomasino
Jeannot-Sissons-Trenin

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Evander has made it clear that his tenure in Atlanta was the best time of his career and he enjoyed playing in a Southern Market .

I think the nurtuing atmosphere of the South, chill media environment and genial culture will allow him to thrive and reignite his passion for life and for the game .

Proposal:

Country Club Line
Tolvanen-Granlund-Kunin
Kane-Novak-Tomasino
Jeannot-Sissons-Trenin
I doubt San Jose will retain that much for that long. And if they do, they’ll want at least a 1st round pick for all that cap space alone.

I don’t think Kane has much value. He’s a good player but the rest of the baggage makes him toxic.

But all that cap space via retention would come at a cost. That cost will be greater than a third line player.

I guess I agree with the guy below that thinks San Jose’s best course would be to see if they can get out of the contract via contract termination.

Last edited:

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Kane, at this point, is very likely done as a NHL player. Not because of lack of skill, but lack of morality and the ability to think as an adult. SJ likely wont trade him as (speculation, but lets be real) the way its headed, his contract will be terminated. This means no money out for SJ, no kane 'issues', no cap penalty.

As it stands currently, in a bubble this trade would be a coup for Nashville were it based strictly on hockey ability. The reality is, not a single team with any aspirations of being considered a prime destination for a winning culture, would take kane. That eliminates... every single NHL franchise. He will be in the khl by next season, dynamo might take a shot and have some russian mob guys keep him in line.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It sucks cause he's actually a really talented player but I genuinely don't know what we're going to do with Kane. His contract isn't even bad, it's just all his off-ice bull crap that never stops. I don't even know if I'd want to retain salary to get rid of him right now, but rather keep what somewhat hope I have that either the contract becomes eligible to get terminated, or he comes back and can figure himself out where he either plays or regains value. Probably long shots at his point but oh well

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Kane, at this point, is very likely done as a NHL player. Not because of lack of skill, but lack of morality and the ability to think as an adult. SJ likely wont trade him as (speculation, but lets be real) the way its headed, his contract will be terminated. This means no money out for SJ, no kane 'issues', no cap penalty.

As it stands currently, in a bubble this trade would be a coup for Nashville were it based strictly on hockey ability. The reality is, not a single team with any aspirations of being considered a prime destination for a winning culture, would take kane. That eliminates... every single NHL franchise. He will be in the khl by next season, dynamo might take a shot and have some russian mob guys keep him in line.
Players like Kane seem to do well on winning team. A team with a "winning culture"( whatever that means) / Strong leadership is needed.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Proposal:

Country Club Line
Tolvanen-Granlund-Kunin
Kane-Novak-Tomasino
Jeannot-Sissons-Trenin
That's an easy pass

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Players like Kane seem to do well on winning team. A team with a "winning culture"( whatever that means) / Strong leadership is needed.

For on ice production - no question, absolutely. Winning culture cant extend to winning attitude if the player is just unwilling to change. Kane has always had tremendous skill on the ice, but the ability to be a winner off the ice is... questionable.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
For on ice production - no question, absolutely. Winning culture cant extend to winning attitude if the player is just unwilling to change. Kane has always had tremendous skill on the ice, but the ability to be a winner off the ice is... questionable.
One doesn't win a cup due to ones abilities off the ice
He didn't seem the problem child when he first got to the Sharks. No one played better. Once we stared losing then he was more the Peg/Buffalo Kane

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
One doesn't win a cup due to ones abilities off the ice
He didn't seem the problem child when he first got to the Sharks. No one played better. Once we stared losing then he was more the Peg/Buffalo Kane

One doesnt contribute to winning jack, if one cant be on the ice to do so. His off-ice issues led directly to him not being on the ice contributing. So in this particular instance, yes, off ice abilities to act like an adult would directly affect any chance he'd have to assist with a cup. You cant score a goal if youre suspended from the leauge and/or in jail because of personal decisions off the ice.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I want everyone to know 95% of Sharks fans would take Kane off the team by any means necessary at this point. I personally would be fine with 50% retention because the Sharks may be forced to buy him out in the summer if they can’t terminate his contract

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
One doesnt contribute to winning jack, if one cant be on the ice to do so. His off-ice issues led directly to him not being on the ice contributing. So in this particular instance, yes, off ice abilities to act like an adult would directly affect any chance he'd have to assist with a cup. You cant score a goal if youre suspended from the leauge and/or in jail because of personal decisions off the ice.
True enough. Has Kane been suspended before for off field issues?
The gambling on hockey and wife beater accusations seem to have been unfounded.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
For this reason, I've always wondered how Kane would do as part of the Pens org. You have Crosby (Mr. Serious, straight-laced pro with the C who has work ethic to spare) Malkin (big sense of humor and big heart who can still show complete dominance) and Letang (plays loose and with his heart on his sleeve, but who never takes a shift off). My only question/worry would be about how Kane would fare under Sullivan, but the player leadership seems like the right blend of discipline, camaraderie and heart to motivate most players that are around it.

I was never 100% sure how a new "name" guy with a strong personality would do in that locker room. Most of the bigger players they've added over the years started young or as fringe guys (Neal, Rust, Dumoulin, Guentzel) before working their way into the team. Kessel was perfect, as he could shrug off the burden of leadership from Toronto and just have fun as the fourth Musketeer. Then Carter got traded (a guy who was used to leading his own team) and he has fit like a damn glove. Makes me think that the Pens leadership group can adapt and adjust based on the type of personality they're dealing with, and make them feel the love.

Anyway, part of me wanted to make a play for Kane back in the days where he was killing it for Buffalo, but the team wasnt getting off the ground. I thought at age 26/27 getting him into that locker room might really give him a fresh start. Its a shame how its gone in San Jose, despite the production.

Reactions: Groo

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
For this reason, I've always wondered how Kane would do as part of the Pens org. You have Crosby (Mr. Serious, straight-laced pro with the C who has work ethic to spare) Malkin (big sense of humor and big heart who can still show complete dominance) and Letang (plays loose and with his heart on his sleeve, but who never takes a shift off). My only question/worry would be about how Kane would fare under Sullivan, but the player leadership seems like the right blend of discipline, camaraderie and heart to motivate most players that are around it.

I was never 100% sure how a new "name" guy with a strong personality would do in that locker room. Most of the bigger players they've added over the years started young or as fringe guys (Neal, Rust, Dumoulin, Guentzel) before working their way into the team. Kessel was perfect, as he could shrug off the burden of leadership from Toronto and just have fun as the fourth Musketeer. Then Carter got traded (a guy who was used to leading his own team) and he has fit like a damn glove. Makes me think that the Pens leadership group can adapt and adjust based on the type of personality they're dealing with, and make them feel the love.

Anyway, part of me wanted to make a play for Kane back in the days where he was killing it for Buffalo, but the team wasnt getting off the ground. I thought at age 26/27 getting him into that locker room might really give him a fresh start. Its a shame how its gone in San Jose, despite the production.
SJ doesn't seem to have the locker room leadership to reign him in( if that's even possible)
A team like the Pens was just what I had in mind. A team with established star leadership

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
why are people speculating the contract will get terminated? The PA is going to fight tooth and nail against it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I doubt San Jose will retain that much for that long. And if they do, they’ll want at least a 1st round pick for all that cap space alone.

I don’t think Kane has much value. He’s a good player but the rest of the baggage makes him toxic.

But all that cap space via retention would come at a cost. That cost will be greater than a third line player.

I guess I agree with the guy below that thinks San Jose’s best course would be to see if they can get out of the contract via contract termination.
No one is giving a 1st round pick for a discount on Evander Kane and no one gives a rats ass about San Jose’s cap space in this deal. They should be thrilled if they could find a sucker to take him at half price if they can’t terminate the contract (and don’t count on that being a sure thing), teams can just wait for the inevitable buyout at this point if they have any interest in Kane.

Assuming San Jose can’t figure out someway to terminate the contract, a buyout next off-season would save them 5m in salary (out of the remaining 15m in salary, a buyout doesn’t help with the 4m left in signing bonuses) and sticks them with six years of various cap hits.

If another team would actually be stupid enough to take this ticking time bomb/future PR disaster/legal nightmare off their hands at half off… let’s say even after his 2m signing bonus is paid next July, they still would save 1/2 of the remaining 17m owed (8.5m) and have a 3.5m cap hit for three years.

The buyout only has one year with a slightly better hit, then a worse one and three more years of cap hits. The trade would save them millions and get Kane out of their hair (again, assuming a termination ends up not being possible), they should be so lucky. He’s virtually untradable.

842857CF-6F3D-403B-BF56-78F4FC0075E2.png

Attachments

• 434DBE82-7C34-4117-B50F-BB02EF88DBB6.png
    434DBE82-7C34-4117-B50F-BB02EF88DBB6.png
    351.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think the most relevant 2 questions are:

1) What NHL team, if any, would be willing to take Kane with 50% salary retained, even possibly with no assets in return going to SJ?

2) Would the Sharks prefer to "stick it" to Kane by buying him out and having him earn only 2/3rds of his remaining contract (but have the buy out cap hit spread across a longer period of time)? Or would they prefer to eat 50% and only have the cap hit for the next 3 seasons after this one and be done with it on their books more quickly (but Kane would then earn 100% of his remaining contract instead of 2/3rds)?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Don't be daft
How many teams are going to absorb 23 million dollars of salary in order to acquire a time-bomb that is an absolute guarantee to damage the franchise brand and become a PR nightmare? He’s 23 million dollars worth of pure toxic waste.

You’re right, I was being daft. It would be a 1st AND a 2nd, and probably more.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
How many teams are going to absorb 23 million dollars of salary in order to acquire a time-bomb that is an absolute guarantee to damage the franchise brand and become a PR nightmare? He’s 23 million dollars worth of pure toxic waste.

You’re right, I was being daft. It would be a 1st AND a 2nd, and probably more.
Thank you Miss Cleo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad