Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
He's expendable. Juulsen functions as the 4th guy on the right side and I doubt that Friedman on the left side is any more capable than Brannstrom or Wolanin. This is the easiest move in terms of saving some cap space; they still have 13F and 7D on the roster.
I think you are underestimating the importance of having solid depth in NHL-capable defenceman and overestimating Brannstrom and Wolanin as decent NHL options.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I don't know why but sometimes i focus so much on our forward group that i take for granted how special Quinn Hughes is.

I remember a co worker (who i played pretty high level hockey with) arguing with me about how tiny he was and doubting the pick (and i'm old school and love my big body guys but had already seen much of him)) We were going to the Czech USA game in Langley and i implored him to focus on how smart elusive and talented he was before casting judgement. By the end of the game he couldn't stop gushing about him and like me was convinced we had something special.

Getting to know the quality of person and now as a Captain and Norris winner you just have to tip the hat and sit back and watch a true hockey genius and ultimate competitor. As Canuck and hockey fans it's truly something special

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I don't know why but sometimes i focus so much on our forward group that i take for granted how special Quinn Hughes is.

I remember a co worker (who i played pretty high level hockey with) arguing with me about how tiny he was and doubting the pick (and i'm old school and love my big body guys but had already seen much of him)) We were going to the Czech USA game in Langley and i implored him to focus on how smart elusive and talented he was before casting judgement. By the end of the game he couldn't stop gushing about him and like me was convinced we had something special.

Getting to know the quality of person and now as a Captain and Norris winner you just have to tip the hat and sit back and watch a true hockey genius and ultimate competitor. As Canuck and hockey fans it's truly something special
we fans are juust lucky to have him on our team. despite his size everything he does is amazing. improves every year. his shot selections are better. i remember his first year he tried a slapshot but it wasn't strong enough to hit the net. he opted to do a wrister intead. but since last year hes been using his slapper quite a bit maybe not as powerful as say a shea weber hitting bombs for rebounds and for goals.

Reactions: sting101

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I think you are underestimating the importance of having solid depth in NHL-capable defenceman and overestimating Brannstrom and Wolanin as decent NHL options.
Canucks are willing to lose him on waivers, which tells me that they aren't particularly concerned about having to replace him as the #8D.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

One thing I'm wondering if us Canuck fans are properly assessing here is we look at our blue line today and tend to call it 'poor', and hard not to with the mediocre 2nd & 3rd pairing, but as this is the first time the franchise has actually had an elite Norris caliber #1 how much of an impact does that have?

Traditionally in recent decades the Canucks have had a 'deep' blue line, but have always lacked that elite #1. Let's take 2013-14 for example, where we had 5 guys who would compete for the #2 spot on this today's team: Edler/Hamhuis/Bieksa/Tanev/Garrison, before getting to the random depth. If it could be done would we want to swap that years blue line with what we have today and lose Hughes?

Reactions: Lindgren

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Horvat was the only real growth we’ve seen from a younger player under Green.
I think Bo was going to be a good player by hook or by crook. He had Willie,,Travis and Bruce. It would have been neat to see if Tocchet could have made a dent. Put some anger in Bo and he could be a beast.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

And he's still improving.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I still don’t think I’ve fully accepted the transition from Benning and Co to Rutherford and Allvin.

So scarred from that time that it still seems unreal to have smart, capable and respected mgmt.
We have suffered significant trauma that likely requires years of counciling. I would take a cup instead to heal my wounds.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Aye or nay, is Hughes a generational talent?

Hard for me to say yes when I wouldn't even say he's the best dman in the game today. But him and Makar are really changing the position in such a way that it's at least an open question.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Hard for me to say yes when I wouldn't even say he's the best dman in the game today. But him and Makar are really changing the position in such a way that it's at least an open question.

Definitely not.

He’s a guy that changed the parameters of the game a bit in terms of what an undersized defender was capable of but there are too many guys doing similar-ish things in the last 5 years (Makar, Hughes, Josi, Karlsson, Fox) to consider any of them ‘generational’ really.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Generational- Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr,,Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux ..... that is all

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Crosby, McDavid, Lidstrom, maybe Lindros depending how you define it.

Howe, Bobby Hull, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Hasek, McDavid would be my post-WW2 list.

Beliveau, Bourque, Crosby would be borderline.

Hull and Lindros were generational talents who didn’t necessarily have generational careers but both were freaks relative to their peers.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If you're one of those people that have a condensed list of just like 4, fine, but if you're expanding it and not including Ovechkin and Hasek that's wild to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad