Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Yeah I've had so many injuries, many serious ones too unfortunately, that I have a wealth of experience. You certainly compare injuries of any sort in the same area or muscle group that are even slightly related when you're trying to figure out an injury of a key player. Sometimes you have nothing else, sometimes at least it's a place to start understanding what you're dealing with. Even knowing McDavid completely damaged his and came back as McDavid is somewhat encouraging, even if the circumstances are completely different there is some valuable info there.

That was dumb though. We all saw the results of how players can make up their own minds and how effective that was. He should have been shut down by the team and had the surgery.
You can’t force someone to have surgery. Mikheyev would have been told he won’t be back to normal for a year or more and was like well the team isn’t out of the playoffs and I can still perform adequately.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I wonder if the Canucks will ever consider moving Joshua to the Center position.
Joshua has played C in the past and has a career FO% of 55.4%
The reason that this is on my mind is because of the apparent chemistry between Hoglander and Garland.
Because of Joshua works at Center then the only need i foresee the Canucks needing this year would be the 2RD position. hmm

Reactions: SiZ

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Management has said they have options for avoiding LTIR. Allvin and Tocchet are clearly giving Raty a legitimate shot to make the make the team and he showed pretty well tonight.

I wonder if there's a scenario where Raty makes the team as a center and Suter is moved for cap space. We have more than enough wingers already even with Joshua out. Netting a small positive return on Suter may be preferable than paying to move Poolman in management's eyes.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Management has said they have options for avoiding LTIR. Allvin and Tocchet are clearly giving Raty a legitimate shot to make the make the team and he showed pretty well tonight.

I wonder if there's a scenario where Raty makes the team as a center and Suter is moved for cap space. We have more than enough wingers already even with Joshua out. Netting a small positive return on Suter may be preferable than paying to move Poolman in management's eyes.

Far more likely Suter moves to wing in that scenario. We are pretty short on centres as it stands, I don't think we want to be trading any.

Reactions: Jovofan

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Far more likely Suter moves to wing in that scenario. We are pretty short on centres as it stands, I don't think we want to be trading any.

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong
Hoglander - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Raty - Sherwood
Aman (Joshua)

I don't see much room for Suter on the wing. To be honest his play hasn't been terribly impressive either. I think Heinen will be a considerable upgrade on the Miller line and I don't think Suter is reliable enough to be an everyday center. If creating cap space is a priority then moving him could be an option.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

Hard to move Suter after how flexible he was last season and moved around the line up, because someone waiver exempt had a good camp. Feel like handing away depth.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not sure if PDG is guaranteed a roster spot on this iteration of the team to be honest.

Id rather have Blais in his spot tbh

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong
Hoglander - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Raty - Sherwood
Aman (Joshua)

I don't see much room for Suter on the wing. To be honest his play hasn't been terribly impressive either. I think Heinen will be a considerable upgrade on the Miller line and I don't think Suter is reliable enough to be an everyday center. If creating cap space is a priority then moving him could be an option.

Would Tocchet really run a 3rd line with Garland and Hoglander?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You can’t force someone to have surgery. Mikheyev would have been told he won’t be back to normal for a year or more and was like well the team isn’t out of the playoffs and I can still perform adequately.

Technically you are right. The team can't force someone to have surgery. What the team can do is keep Mik out of games and place him on LTIR. These decisions are usually made together. In this case, at some earlier point, all parties agree that surgery is a necessity. This isn't a situation where they try conservative treatments first. If a team wants the player to get the surgery done and prepare for next season (the player has a multi-year contract), I haven't come across a reported incidence where it doesn't happen (unless Mik had some wedding to go to and didn't want to be on crutches or something). This isn't like the Eichel situation where the parties disagree on the form of surgery.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Technically you are right. The team can't force someone to have surgery. What the team can do is keep Mik out of games and place him on LTIR. These decisions are usually made together. In this case, at some earlier point, all parties agree that surgery is a necessity. This isn't a situation where they try conservative treatments first. If a team wants the player to get the surgery done and prepare for next season (the player has a multi-year contract), I haven't come across a reported incidence where it doesn't happen (unless Mik had some wedding to go to and didn't want to be on crutches or something). This isn't like the Eichel situation where the parties disagree on the form of surgery.
Yes the fix for a torn ACL is surgery, the Canucks medical staff aren’t the only doctors in the world that don’t know this. However, they likely would have advised Mikheyev that he can play on it if it’s not causing him too much instability, which seems likely because he’s an elite athlete and hockey doesn’t overly stress your knee. He likely chose to play on it until the season was gone and could still recover by close to the start of next season (which was an extremely aggressive timeline IMO but that’s a separate issue).

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The less Franky is involved in the Canucks, the more successful the Canucks will become.

2012 to 2021… a decade of failure and wasted NHL careers enabled by the blueberry trust fund baby.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yes the fix for a torn ACL is surgery, the Canucks medical staff aren’t the only doctors in the world that don’t know this. However, they likely would have advised Mikheyev that he can play on it if it’s not causing him too much instability, which seems likely because he’s an elite athlete and hockey doesn’t overly stress your knee. He likely chose to play on it until the season was gone and could still recover by close to the start of next season (which was an extremely aggressive timeline IMO but that’s a separate issue).
i think this is likely what happened.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
suter looked very strong to me at camp and a tier above most of the bottom six guys. i think it is highly likely he approached the pre-season game as a secure veteran there to have a skate and help the young guys while not getting injured rather than a guy trying to make the team. maybe a mistake on his part but i think we as fans should draw no conclusions from one game.

the guy who i think maybe needed to work harder in that game was heinen.

Would Tocchet really run a 3rd line with Garland and Hoglander?
that would potentially be quite something in the ozone. defensively not so sure.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

:laugh: Sometimes in sports you can't let the athlete make the decision that hurts themselves and the team. Mikheyev is certainly not bigger than any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad