Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Hakstol was a Adams finalist and was benching Sprong. They chose not to bring him back. Yes i read that article incorrectly

If they add him as cheap depth sure.

And im on board with signings that could free up other assets to move to get a impact player but the notion that Sprong replaces Hoglander isn't a good one for me.

Im not trying to run him down i just dont like the fit and am more bullish on our own homegrown Hoglander especially if they are planning on a line mate in out top6

I don't really get it to be honest. We're cap strapped, just signed 3 wingers, and have too many players as is. Why on earth are people clamoring to add middling depth via a sketchy poor fit reclamation? Boredom I'm guessing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think it’s time for a Höglander trade

Like I said in the other thread, I wouldn’t be surprised if they attach Hoglander to Poolman and just accept a later draft pick back. Bank the cap space for a much more substantial upgrade during the season.

Granted, there’s risk with that strategy.

Reactions: Canucks LB

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This team is absolutely stacked offensively, but we still have huge puck, moving problems on the backend.

Back it needs to be fixed before the season, not just at the deadline.

We need another option
I wouldn’t say huge given Hughes will play half of every game. But it would be nice to trade for a 2nd pairing left shot two way dman.

Like I said in the other thread, I wouldn’t be surprised if they attach Hoglander to Poolman and just accept a later draft pick back. Bank the cap space for a much more substantial upgrade during the season.

Granted, there’s risk with that strategy.
Or this.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Only way I would be ok if Höglander was traded was if it was for McGroarty or a dman of similar pedigree. Sanheim would have been intriguing but no cap space to add him & Flyers aren't looking to offload him

I think it would be a mistake to dump Hoggy to get out of the last year of Poolman.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This team is absolutely stacked offensively, but we still have huge puck, moving problems on the backend.

We need another option
nah I don't subscribe to that notion, I'm quite pleased with the entire roster as assembled collectively, and on an individual skills/growth/value perspective.

Only concern is backup Goaltender but I'm a fan of all three options we have, especially with Clark, and hopefullydemko stays healthy with less games. If we'd got Stolarz somehow I'd be betting on a scf appearance.

Also don't think they're quite done, feel like atleast one other move is coming, either hog or hopefully pod, or both, and another move around camp/waivers time.

Reactions: calnuck

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

We need another option
I thought this too but if you look at some of the other contending teams in the league, many of them also have major question marks on defence (i.e. Edmonton/Dallas/Florida having terrible bottom 4s, Carolina still relying heavily on 39 year old Burns).

So many teams are going to roll with their current lineup and wait until the deadline to fix their deficiencies. We have the 2nd best pair in the league and a very high-end starting goalie - we can probably afford to wait for the right opportunity.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Already bored with this signing when’s the next move!

IMG_2471.jpeg

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't really get it to be honest. We're cap strapped, just signed 3 wingers, and have too many players as is. Why on earth are people clamoring to add middling depth via a sketchy poor fit reclamation? Boredom I'm guessing.
As a depth acquisition at the price it's a good move. He's got lots of skill and talent and it will create a competitive environment for the wingers especially at camp.

But yes Tocchet will likely eat him alive if he's not willing to compete and the fear would be that he pulls the wool for a few months and then turns into a pumpkin after we move players that excel in a new uniform. Jake Virtanen almost scored 20 and would have if he didnt miss games so I'm not buying into the excitement

I also don't get this frustrating desire to run out Pod and Hog now. Those guys are race car engines that battle all over the ice and play with intensity and pace. We've got lots of skill we need players that put pressure on the opposition. That's Tocchets system and it's also what will help our top skilled players succeed. I will be pissed if they move Hoglander for anything short of a solid young player that has value added. Frick it pisses me off reading the distaste. Was absolute money from the bottom 6 and looked great even with Miller. Not his fault EP40 was hurt and Mikhayev was in one of the worst slumps imaginable.

Pod maybe guy looks lost too often but he's a physical beast

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don’t see it. Suter should be getting more ice than Blueger, who is a prototype 4C. Suter is around the closest approximation to Lindholm you have on the roster if you want to recreate the playoff lineup. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start there.
You'll have a 55% xG line with Garland and Joshua regardless of whoever is their center. I don't think Suter ticks that up much/at all, and probably doesn't improve their chance conversion much/at all either.

But say a 4th line with 2 of Sherwood, Sprong, PDZ, or Podz, I think is much stronger with Suter than Blueger.

Reactions: andora

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sprong is less talented Kuzmenko 2.0

Allergic to the boards, quirky bad personality. Inconsistent, often poor defensively, streaky scoring winger

He's 27 and about to be on his 6th team. Cant believe some of you just agreed that you like him more than Mercer??

Dawson Mercer will be a stud and kinda is already in this league as he approaches his prime ages.

Making marginal improvements to his athleticism defending and faceoffs is pretty commonplace for 21/22 yr olds. He already has PK acumen and is a board demon with some of the better hands shot and he can dish. He's a target player in the mold of a young JT Miller who hasn't solidified himself in a playoff teams top6 just yet.

Mercer >>>>>> Sprong unless your just simply looking at this year but even then given the versatility Mercer is still a better player. If Allvin and JR are sniffing around it's because they are smart and see a player about to be bridged that should immediately outplay his contract for 2-3 yrs before he gets expensive and they are trying to plan for Miller to the wing to lessen his heavy lifting

At the end of the day, Kuzmenko's two seasons in the NHL: 39 goals 74 points followed by 22 goals 46 points (after a slow start).

I don't know where the Sprong is as good as Kuzmenko or better than Mercer comes from.

The one thing Sprong is better at is that he can score goals playing on the 4th line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You'll have a 55% xG line with Garland and Joshua regardless of whoever is their center. I don't think Suter ticks that up much/at all, and probably doesn't improve their chance conversion much/at all either.

But say a 4th line with 2 of Sherwood, Sprong, PDZ, or Podz, I think is much stronger with Suter than Blueger.

I don’t disagree Blueger is a nice value up option with Joshua/Garland if you need it (like for instance you have to move your true 3C to wing in the top six because your winger depth is so bad). But Joshua/Garland are gonna eat way more ice than the fourth line wingers, and I have no interest in Blueger getting more ice than Suter, who is a materially better player.

Blueger-Sherwood is the makings of a totally fine fourth line.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don’t disagree Blueger is a nice value up option with Joshua/Garland if you need it (like for instance you have to move your true 3C to wing in the top six because your winger depth is so bad). But Joshua/Garland are gonna eat way more ice than the fourth line wingers, and I have no interest in Blueger getting more ice than Suter, who is a materially better player.

Blueger-Sherwood is the makings of a totally fine fourth line.
I think it's fine too. But I don't think it provides much utility beyond "play your 10 low-event ES minutes and get off". Suter-Sherwood could legitimately drive play and provide some offense.

I'm not really worried that Blueger would get too much ice and/or Joshua/Garland too little. We've already seen with Tocc that the lineup chart doesn't really determine the total TOI for each player.

I am still partial to Suter with Miller/Boeser because they were a combo with absolutely cracked underlying numbers, but with all the wingers they added I do not expect that to happen now.

Reactions: andora and bh53

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Not gonna lie, i'll be salty if bringing in Sprong means höglander trade. I don't trust Sprong to be as effective in total, and he's not from northern sweden

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Sprong is not a top 6 player and he is certainly not making Hoglander expendable. He's gonna have a hard time staying in the Line up with Tocchet. But I good value signing.

I think this pushes PDG and Aman off the roster more than anything... and probably battles with Pod for a spot.

Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Sprong
(Podkolzin)

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
OUT: Lindholm, Zadorov, Mikheyev, Cole, DeSmith

IN: DeBrusk, Heinen, Forbort, Desharnais, Sherwood, Sprong

Could always include Patera to even up the goalie in, goalie out part of the list.

I think we all expect Silovs to be backup but things have a way of working out where I'm sure we'll see Patera.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not gonna lie, i'll be salty if bringing in Sprong means höglander trade. I don't trust Sprong to be as effective in total, and he's not from northern sweden
Sprong is here for 1 year then UFA. So, unless they are certain that more than Lekky are going to make the club a year from now, I wouldn't bet too much on Sprong.

Plus, with Veleno getting $2.25 mill per after 20 and 28 points, I do wonder if Hogs replicated his production (with a lower shooting %), what that translates in Arbitration.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Sprong is not a top 6 player and he is certainly not making Hoglander expendable. He's gonna have a hard time staying in the Line up with Tocchet. But I good value signing.

I think this pushes PDG and Aman off the roster more than anything... and probably battles with Pod for a spot.

Hoglander - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Sprong
(Podkolzin)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them keep Aman over Podkolzin. He's great center depth if Suter needs to be moved to the wing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even the most burned out and cynical Canuck fan, would have to concede that so far, Allvin's off-season has been nothing short of 'remarkable'.

Even after losing Lindholm and Zadorov, the team has added size and grit to replace the departed Zadorov and Cole on the blueline; and added 'depth' scoring up and down the lineup. Every line now will have at least one or even two guys who'll score at least 20.

The have arguably the best goaltending tandem in the league locked up for peanuts; and it looks like a lot of good young players will be be back in Abbotsford for another season.

For a team that went into the off-season with seemingly no salary cap room; they've added key pieces at affordable prices--and now, along with likely Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado and maybe Vegas, are clear favorites in the Western Conference.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Am I right in thinking that the Canucks are now at 50 contracts? I seem to recall the number being 48, before the signing of Silovs and the acquisition of Sprong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad