Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't want the Canucks to pursue Sprong or any forward in that range.

Find a way, gotta find a way, to get rid of the Poolman contract. Then, be patient. The Canucks are a playoff team with their current roster and can afford to be patient.

Accrue cap space and at some point acquire the difference-maker where it's really needed, on the back end. I'm talking about a bona-fide #2 or #3.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes it does because the premise of your argument was that Sprong was bad bad bad and amalgamated with other teammates to kick Hakstol out which is incorrect.

Also what is this obsession with 200ft players or bust? If you wanted a team of 200ft players go get a bunch of Nic Dowd’s and David Kampf’s.

We have a bunch of non 200ft players and they all more or less come with their own flaws but provide good value and they are paid accordingly.
Hakstol was a Adams finalist and was benching Sprong. They chose not to bring him back. Yes i read that article incorrectly

If they add him as cheap depth sure.

And im on board with signings that could free up other assets to move to get a impact player but the notion that Sprong replaces Hoglander isn't a good one for me.

Im not trying to run him down i just dont like the fit and am more bullish on our own homegrown Hoglander especially if they are planning on a line mate in out top6

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Going to be something similar to Suter. It will be under value I'm guessing. My guess is 2 years 1.3 per. Maybe slightly higher.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I think you basically have to glue Sprong to Pettersson's wing and I'd probably rather have someone like Heinen there.

Obviously will come cheap but I don't love the fit.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I think you basically have to glue Sprong to Pettersson's wing and I'd probably rather have someone like Heinen there.

Obviously will come cheap but I don't love the fit.
Not sure I agree. He's done very well historically on the 4th line.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Still find it fascinating that management clearly drew a hard line and it was close to his ask but neither side could get there. It was the right call, especially at the term.

yes like others i was bending and struggling with this one as Z had such a impact on our playoffs and in character that i really wanted him to come back.

Would have overpaid but you have to give it to our management in that his past performance dictated a line in the sand and they stuck to their guns.

I know we will miss the nuclear deterrent a times but for most of last year you could hardly argue he was gonna be a good contract at those numbers and term.

Sucks were back looking probably for a top4 minute capable D with size and shut down ability but if it's a better one who has a track record of doing it for sustained periods then were probably better off

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Allvin & Co keep making solid moves, targeted basically all the players I've wanted and for value deals. The top 12 (+) is the best it's has been in ages and as good or better than any others.

Hopefully frees up pod to get moved for an upgrade/change of scenery swap.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Based strictly on that Sprong highlight package, he'd drive Tocchet nuts on the defensive side of the puck. If Tocchet couldn't live with Kuzmenko, despite his 39 goals, then his confidence in this player wouldn't even last a game.

I mean Sprong is now 27 and on his sixth NHL organization. How is that even possible?
I like Sprong, but I'm also worried that he gets waived out of camp and we watch him score 20 goals with 3rd line minutes for another team.

I hope Tocchet is willing to adjust a bit, I think guys like Petey and Sprong would benefit from some more freedom but I also understand why Tocchet doesn't want to give the green light to some players(especially if they're just role players like Sprong) and then be hard on other players.

It'll be interesting to see play out.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah but they’re carrying too many players on the roster anyway. They really probably just need to waive Aman to get under.

Yes probably a money in/money out situation. It doesn't prevent them from going after a Dman in trade.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here is a fun thought.

Lets load it up and see?

Debrusk- Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Ep40 - Sprong
Garland - Bleuger - Joshua
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't want the Canucks to pursue Sprong or any forward in that range.

Find a way, gotta find a way, to get rid of the Poolman contract. Then, be patient. The Canucks are a playoff team with their current roster and can afford to be patient.

Accrue cap space and at some point acquire the difference-maker where it's really needed, on the back end. I'm talking about a bona-fide #2 or #3.
That aged well.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't really see how sprong fits on this roster but at least it's a zero risk move

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
i don't really see how sprong fits on this roster but at least it's a zero risk move

He’s goal scoring depth and will probably be in competition for a top six spot in camp. He’s also probably only behind Boeser and Garland as a natural right winger.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

He is cheap production. They need goals.

Of the many ways they could have added a shooter, this is likely the most efficient option available. I think they're trying to get Pettersson multiple options that could work, in a scattershot approach. Probably the right strategy given they've missed out on Guentzel.

Reactions: arttk and David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad