Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Honestly, I kinda thinking Hög has more potential than I thought when he was drafted. If he puts it altogether, he's the next Mikael Renberg at such a smalller size which is remarkable.

my memory of renberg is he was the defensive safety valve for lindros and leclair, incredibly strong and unstoppable on the cycle, and a sneaky smart playmaker.

i feel like hög is almost the opposite player, in terms of both the good and the bad. strengths: a buzzy forechecker who forces turnovers and scores goals with his fast hands. weaknesses: not big enough to wear down the opposition, not very reliable defensively, poor at using his teammates.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
my memory of renberg is he was the defensive safety valve for lindros and leclair, incredibly strong and unstoppable on the cycle, and a sneaky smart playmaker.

i feel like hög is almost the opposite player, in terms of both the good and the bad. strengths: a buzzy forechecker who forces turnovers and scores goals with his fast hands. weaknesses: not big enough to wear down the opposition, not very reliable defensively, poor at using his teammates.
It's a truly bizarre comparison.

Renberg was a big, fast, playmaking winger who could use his size to protect the puck and had great hockey sense for getting into space and running give-and-go's.

None of this describes Hoglander.

Reactions: wetcoast

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

So Hurricanes will terminate his contract, get an extra 3.9m, but be without their 2nd line centre.

I believe this clears up 3.9m for the Capitals as well.

Reactions: ameselare

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So Hurricanes will terminate his contract, get an extra 3.9m, but be without their 2nd line centre.

I believe this clears up 3.9m for the Capitals as well.

Wonder if this extra cap room would have changed their position on Guentzal?

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Very curious what the price would be for Askarov in Nashville as he maybe asking out of Nashville w/ Saros signing the 8 year extension.

Goalies tend to not have the best value but he might be a nice player to have in the system

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
I'm not sure that's such a steal then if it doesn't buy any UFA years. If this deal had been 7 or 8 years yes, but 5 when he's gonna be a UFA at 26 is a little questionable.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Only bought 1 UFA year, so that contract makes sense. Not sure why’d you do that, but guess they wanted to keep the AAV down.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I guess this contract helps LA build out their roster these next few seasons, and is a pretty damn good trade piece if they decide they need/want to completely blow it all up if things don't go well? Would obviously be better for them either way if they could get him on a long term deal, but he might not have wanted that. Still getting a feel for his agent David Gagner - he's a newer agent for Wasserman. Took on a fair amount of Jeff Jackson's players when he went over to the Oilers (DeBrincat, Ekblad, Byfield, Drysdale, Evangelista, etc).

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You are correct. I thought he was younger but will be UFA at the end of this contract.
I think he'll be a UFA?? 8 accrued seasons (either has to be 7 seasons of 40 games or age 27+)
I think the rule to accrue an nhl season is for the player to be on the nhl roster for half the season or more. So a league year runs about 185 days or so. So something like 93 earns you that year. Thus Byfield got it for the 21/22 season.

Reactions: ameselare

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Very curious what the price would be for Askarov in Nashville as he maybe asking out of Nashville w/ Saros signing the 8 year extension.

Goalies tend to not have the best value but he might be a nice player to have in the system
Way too expensive for the Canucks, who have much bigger needs elsewhere.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They were probably well aware of Kuznetsov's intentions already.
The Canes are probably clearing the decks on what could soon be a whopping contract for Necas. His arbitration hearing is in 10- days or so, and it could be a big salary cap bite, based on his production last season.

It'll be interesting to see if Carolina is still interested in dealing him, or whether they accept the arbitrator's ruling and bring him back for a season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad