Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I actually don’t mind them giving the sponsorship to Clio, a local startup that has actually made it big in the tech realm. Good for them.

Reactions: supercanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Demko:
-Rutherford is the most approachable guy on a lot of things but won't talk about injuries
-a lot of rumours about procedures Demko may or may not have had; lots of mystery
-believes the Canucks told Demko he had to play two games before the playoffs before they would permit him to play and this forced Demko to rush back
-no one knew if Demko would be able to play in the playoffs; still have people telling him he would have played round 3 and other say there is no way
-best piece of info he's been given is that Demko will have to learn to play through this; his injury can't be fixed with surgery; it's something he can and will play through to a high level
-doesn't know if he will be out for the start of the season
-they are going to change they way he practices
-Ian Clark had his goalies do their drills every day believes the Canucks think it has come at a cost
-will change how much he goes on the ice and what his workload is
-looking at Lankinen or something else

Misc:
-it's a noisy market
-players love playing for Tocchet
-the team really likes each other
-Boeser loves it in Vancouver and they really like him
-Canucks are in a great place

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Will be interesting to see if the NHL holds the Blue Jackets to the cap floor requirement. That numbers is 65m this season and the Blue Jackets are currently at 61.5m on a 21/23 roster. With internal promotions on a full roster that can get that about as high as 63.25m. If the NHL doesn't grant them any sort of clemency, and I don't believe they will, there are quite a few players on year contracts that are expected to be on LTIR all season.

Jesper Fast (Hurricanes) - 2.4m
Ryan Johansen (Flyers) - 4.0m
Matt Nieto (Penguins) - 0.9m
Tucker Poolman (Canucks) - 2.5m
Robin Lehner (Golden Knights) - 5.0m
Nicklas Backstrom (Capitals) - 9.2m
T.J. Oshie (Capitals) - 5.57m

Canucks seem to be an obvious fit but I would not be surprised if the Golden Knights jumped in and paid the price to get rid of Lehner. There's a rumour that the Flyers and Blue Jackets discussed a Johansen for Laine swap so maybe those talks can be modified.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Will be interesting to see if the NHL holds the Blue Jackets to the cap floor requirement. That numbers is 65m this season and the Blue Jackets are currently at 61.5m on a 21/23 roster. With internal promotions on a full roster that can get that about as high as 63.25m. If the NHL doesn't grant them any sort of clemency, and I don't believe they will, there are quite a few players on year contracts that are expected to be on LTIR all season.

Canucks seem to be an obvious fit but I would not be surprised if the Golden Knights jumped in and paid the price to get rid of Lehner. There's a rumour that the Flyers and Blue Jackets discussed a Johansen for Laine swap so maybe those talks can be modified.
I can't imagine the NHL not granting an exception in this case

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Don’t think the NHLPA will agree to that, they are going to want the teams to meet the cap min, even in this case.

• Wow
Reactions: Coffees and Peen

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Demko:
-Rutherford is the most approachable guy on a lot of things but won't talk about injuries
-a lot of rumours about procedures Demko may or may not have had; lots of mystery
-believes the Canucks told Demko he had to play two games before the playoffs before they would permit him to play and this forced Demko to rush back
-no one knew if Demko would be able to play in the playoffs; still have people telling him he would have played round 3 and other say there is no way
-best piece of info he's been given is that Demko will have to learn to play through this; his injury can't be fixed with surgery; it's something he can and will play through to a high level
-doesn't know if he will be out for the start of the season
-they are going to change they way he practices
-Ian Clark had his goalies do their drills every day believes the Canucks think it has come at a cost
-will change how much he goes on the ice and what his workload is
-looking at Lankinen or something else

Misc:
-it's a noisy market
-players love playing for Tocchet
-the team really likes each other
-Canucks are in a great place

Thanks for the summary!

If the bolded is true, that was a mistake, IMO. I get that the team from top to bottom was excited to be back in the playoff, but rushing a star player back from injury is almost never a good idea.

It sucks to hear that no surgery can fix this injury for Demko. Playing in the best league, you need to be at 100%. Even if Demko can "play through it", I'm not sure he'll be a Vezina level player going forward. Or even if he can play at that level, will he be able to handle a starter's workload. Our goaltending situation just got a little murkier going forward.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Would be nice if we could get cbj to take poolman at a lesser price if nhl forces them to meet salary cap minimum in their situation.
Could accrue more cap and possible go after fowler if he would waive for here

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
None of that seems like good news on Demko, frankly. A non-fixable mystery injury that he will have to learn to play through but which has already kept him out of the playoffs. Not only does that put his availability in question but it seriously sinks his trade value.

Sure hoping Tapioca really comes through in Abbotsford this year.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They'll acquire a veteran back-up for Demko here before the season starts. Will be interesting to see who ends up on waivers (I believe I read there are 7-8 teams possibly in a position to have to waive goaltending depth), versus how they feel about Lankinen and his value. I'm not overly enthused about the Raanta PTO idea, he seems a bit washed.

That will serve two purposes ... first, if Demko does go down you aren't running a truly green pairing with Silovs starting and an equally inexperienced goalie as back-up. Second, it's probably a good thing to start Silovs in the AHL under a heavier workload. Given Demko's appearance of declining health, you need to figure out whether Silovs can be the guy, or you're immediately starting to look for another #1 goalie. I would rather Silovs serves as "the guy" on the farm in this scenario, versus seeing spot duty behind Demko until an injury happens. At least in that case, if you need to call him up to start, he's already seeing a starters workload.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

Misc:

this makes me kind of nervous. not to take away from what boeser has done in his career but he's like the prototypical player that drops way off when he hits his late 20s. i'd be really skeptical of a long extension

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The Demko situation is extremely alarming full stop. fuelled by the lack of transparency (not that we’re owed but it does contribute to a ton of speculation) and just based on the fact that whatever current injury he’s dealing with isn’t fixable (by surgery) and it has to be managed at a high level…whatever the hell that means.

Even with the news a couple weeks ago that he may or may not be ready for camp, I wasn’t exactly worried. I think it’s very much reasonable to be somewhat alarmed and concerned at this point, both now, and the future.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Mgmt needs to figure out the LT plan regarding goaltending.

Demko could be done any minute.

Silovs showed promise.

But this team's fortunes could be dramatic depending on how this plays out.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
this makes me kind of nervous. not to take away from what boeser has done in his career but he's like the prototypical player that drops way off when he hits his late 20s. i'd be really skeptical of a long extension
I really think Boeser's next contract will become an anchor very quickly, no matter which team signs him. I see BB6 having a big season in 2024-25 (most pending UFA does, but BB6 is also in a very good situation on L1 with JTM and PP1 with 3 other superstar players). He is likely to score 35-40 goals and will be paid as such on his next contract. But his speed and health are 2 reasons for me to stay away from his retirement contract. I much rather use him as a self-rental this season and let him walk, instead of giving him a contract in the 8.5m x 8 range.

Reactions: credulous

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
We should have been taking goalies with mid rounders in the last couple drafts as well as the fa adds like Tolopilo

I really dont like the news about Demkos injury, I think we need a 1B type backup and to plan for the next starter when his deal is up

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone remind me (and the class) Elliotte's phrasing when he's just spitballing his own opinions and when he's actually passing on facts from real sources?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So it how sounds like brass and coaching staff have been drastically mishandling Demko for all of last season and likely longer, inducing an injury they believe is now untreatable, has to be managed in perpetuity, and will affect his ability to practice. Fantastic.

The league is so far behind on load management. Every team should have a set goalie rotation, and third goalie ballcap guy on the roster (complete day off for the starter and more practice days off for the starter).

Seems like maybe a situation for Hog + for Gibson & Carlsson deal possible happening
....how would Carlsson possibly be acquired in that scenario?

Also...Gibson? Ugh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rumor du jour is that the Canucks wanted to bring Kevin Lankinen in on a PTO, but he was holding out for a contract. But the Canucks would be loathe to use up all of Poolman's LTIR space on a goalie, whom they might only need for training camp and maybe a few games at the start of the season.

Demko's pre training camp physical might be one of the most anticipated events in the entire training camp. And if he's not on the ice and at least taking practice shots, then the anxiety level gets ramped up considerably.

Reactions: David71

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rumor du jour is that the Canucks wanted to bring Kevin Lankinen in on a PTO, but he was holding out for a contract. But the Canucks would be loathe to use up all of Poolman's LTIR space on a goalie, whom they might only need for training camp and maybe a few games at the start of the season.

Demko's pre training camp physical might be one of the most anticipated events in the entire training camp. And if he's not on the ice and at least taking practice shots, then the anxiety level gets ramped up considerably.

Where did you hear this? Everything up to you posting this was that the Canucks have offered Lankinen a contract but he's turned them down and they're considering Raanta on a PTO.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can someone remind me (and the class) Elliotte's phrasing when he's just spitballing his own opinions and when he's actually passing on facts from real sources?
I listened to the podcast, none of the Demko or Boeser stuff sounded like his opinions/guesses. I think he's actually cutdown on doing that this year except during TDL time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Where did you hear this? Everything up to you posting this was that the Canucks have offered Lankinen a contract but he's turned them down and they're considering Raanta on a PTO.
The usual source, Rick Dhaliwal......but he's not infallible.

But training camps are a little over a week away. If Lankinen was offered a contract by the Canucks, it's hard to believe he'd have turned it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad