Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I'd be a lot more concerned about Pettersson's 11.6 million cap hit than Draisaitl's 14 million dollar cap hit given how each player played this year.

EDIT: to add to that, I would 100% give Draisaitl that contract. If Draisaitl left that would be the end of the Oilers contention window.

Reactions: Luongos Knob

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd be a lot more concerned about Pettersson's 11.6 million cap hit than Draisaitl's 14 million dollar cap hit given how each player played this year.

EDIT: to add to that, I would 100% give Draisaitl that contract. If Draisaitl left that would be the end of the Oilers contention window.
don't think anyone would be concerned with Drai being paid 14M. I think their problem is going to be, how do you ice a team when you pay 30M to just McD and Drai. On top of that, have Boucher take 10M and Nurse with his 9.xM contract, you end up having 50M on 4 players. Even with the cap at 100M, it's really hard to fill out the rest of the team with 50M, never mind the fact they have like no prospects anywhere. Add on top of that, they already have Nuge taking like 6M as well with a NMC so the best case scenario is they have 44M to fill in 18 players? They are going to be taking on a shit ton of reclamation projects and throw them beside McD and Drai and bank on that working out.

I think people really overlook the part that their success last post season really hinged on their godly PK. Good luck creating a 95% PK when everyone they bring in is near league min pay.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
That Draisaitl contract is bonkers, though guess they had to do it. But guy is going to be making $14M AAV into his late 30s.

I dunno how long their window will be, but man they’re in a world of hurt in a few years.

Won't matter if they win the cup.

But they took a hit to their speed, grit on forward. Plus they lost all of their depth on defense.

With no 1st and a barren prospect pool they will struggle to get the quality they need to bolster the line up by March.

I think the Oilers got worse this off-season while we improved. But I've heard people feel the exact opposite so I dont know what's real anymore.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Won't matter if they win the cup.

But they took a hit to their speed, grit on forward. Plus they lost all of their depth on defense.

With no 1st and a barren prospect pool they will struggle to get the quality they need to bolster the line up by March.

I think the Oilers got worse this off-season while we improved. But I've heard people feel the exact opposite so I dont know what's real anymore.
they lost a big part of the PK that got them to the finals. Will be interesting to see if they end up with a 80ish% PK and expose the shit out of Skinner.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Just a refresher..

2024 Canucks Playoff Performances…

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Silovs
7. Myers
8. Soucy
9. Joshua
10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Blueger
13. Hronek
14. Hoglander
15. Di Giuseppe
16. Pettersson
17. Cole
18. Aman
19. Lafferty
20. Mikheyev

N/A Podkolzin, Juulsen, Karlsson

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
don't think anyone would be concerned with Drai being paid 14M. I think their problem is going to be, how do you ice a team when you pay 30M to just McD and Drai. On top of that, have Boucher take 10M and Nurse with his 9.xM contract, you end up having 50M on 4 players. Even with the cap at 100M, it's really hard to fill out the rest of the team with 50M, never mind the fact they have like no prospects anywhere. Add on top of that, they already have Nuge taking like 6M as well with a NMC so the best case scenario is they have 44M to fill in 18 players? They are going to be taking on a shit ton of reclamation projects and throw them beside McD and Drai and bank on that working out.

I think people really overlook the part that their success last post season really hinged on their godly PK. Good luck creating a 95% PK when everyone they bring in is near league min pay.
I'm not going to put in the math work but I feel like people get to caught up on hard numbers like $50M and don't look at things as percentage against the cap. The numbers are bigger now but I'm sure percentage-wise other teams have been here before.

Like for 50M against a 100M cap for 4 players on a 23 man roster, that means you can spend 2.63M per player for the other 19. Put about 10 of those players at $1M contracts, and you have an extra 16M+ surplus to spend extra on the remaining 9. It's still tight but not an impossible situation.

Generally how these things go a handful of big new contracts are signed at the same time is the team's cap is really tight the next few seasons but as the cap continues to rise it creates the breathing room you need.

Reactions: bossram

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just a refresher..

2024 Canucks Playoff Performances…

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Silovs
7. Myers
8. Soucy
9. Joshua
10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Blueger
13. Hronek
14. Hoglander
15. Di Giuseppe
16. Pettersson
17. Cole
18. Aman
19. Lafferty
20. Mikheyev

N/A Podkolzin, Juulsen, Karlsson
Silovs was a great story but with an .881 save percentage he was not the Canucks 6th best playoff player.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Lankinen is certainly the superior goalie, but someone like Raanta might make more sense considering the picture if/when everyone is healthy.

Do the Canucks really want a scenario where Demko/Lankinen are good to go, two of Silovs/Pitera/Tolopilo are in the AHL, and one of them is either sitting on a shelf or playing in the ECHL?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
No one's gonna say draisatls cap hit is bad, or mcdavids will be. They are what they are because of who they are.

The problem is when you add in Bouchard and nurse.

Then think in 2 years of a 35yr old hyman making 5.5, 34yr old Hopkins making 5+.

They let their best 2 "prospects" go in the off-season. They don't have any impact prospects that are close or blue chippers and will waste what they have in the them and picks in the next 2 deadlines or dumping those older contracts.

The future is rough. The next 2 years are different tho

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
You missed Jake Guentzel. 21 points in 25 playoff games on a cheap entry level contract.
In any event, I disagree for the reasons I stated in my earlier post. The impact of having Nurse in the big 4 instead of Kessel just can’t be overstated and Letang was a better all round D than Bouchard. Then there’s a huge edge in Pittsburgh’s goaltending compared to Skinner. Fleury had a .924 and Murray a .937 save percentage in the playoffs. As for supporting cast, Eckholm is 34 and Hyman 32. Two years from now it’s questionable how impactful they will be.
Just to add, Crosby won his last cup when he was 29 and Malkin 30. McDavid and Draisaitl will be 28 and 29 this season. This aligns perfectly with my view that the next two years are really the cup window for Edmonton.
I actually think they have a great chance at a Cup. But it’s the next two years that it needs to happen.
If Edmonton really believes that, then buying out Nurse next summer might be the best course of action for them. For 2025-26 they get almost $9m in cap saving as per capwages.com. That amount of cap space plus all the picks still available, could mean they can really load up for the 2025-26 playoff. They would also still have assets to make upgrade this coming season as well. From 2026-27 to 2029-30 seasons, there is barely any cap saving, but it allows the Oilers to go for it this next 2 seasons.

With 5 more seasons at over $9m cap hit, I really doubt any team will take on Nurse's contract. Even the bottom feeders now (ie: Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, etc) would expect to be competitive before the 2029-30 season, and they would have much better use of that cap space I'm sure. If it takes the Oilers retaining a significant portion (like 40-50%), then there is no point in attaching assets to dump him as you will need to acquire another player for your 2nd pairing.

Seems like buying out Nurse is the best of all the crappy options.

Lankinen is certainly the superior goalie, but someone like Raanta might make more sense considering the picture if/when everyone is healthy.

Do the Canucks really want a scenario where Demko/Lankinen are good to go, two of Silovs/Pitera/Tolopilo are in the AHL, and one of them is either sitting on a shelf or playing in the ECHL?
Raanta himself is injury prone and it would defeat the purpose of signing him if he is, highly likely, also hurt when Demko is out.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

you only need 6-8 players for a pk. vancouver are going to go with a bunch of guys making sub 3m on their pk. edmonton won't have any issues

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That Draisaitl contract is bonkers, though guess they had to do it. But guy is going to be making $14M AAV into his late 30s.

I dunno how long their window will be, but man they’re in a world of hurt in a few years.
I mean, their window is now. I don't think it's a crazy deal. They had to retain him to keep contending. The $14M hit isn't going to matter when he's 35 because they won't be contending then.

Like I said with the Matthews deal, people are going to have sticker shock with the next wave of superstar contracts. But they're really not unreasonable in a rising cap world. If the 2025-26 cap is $92M, that's 15.2% of the cap. That's the same percentage as Mackinnon's $12.6 M cap hit in 2023-24.

This is just what these superstar contracts are going to look like now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When McDavid signed, the max he could have gotten since he signed a year early, was $15 mill on a $75 mill cap. At $12.5 mill that is 16.67% of the cap. At this percentage, on a $92 mill cap, that's $15.3 mill. He'll probably land somewhere at $15 mill as the floor and upwards of $16 mill on the high end. Though he could take more if he wanted to.

Reactions: BimJenning

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
you only need 6-8 players for a pk. vancouver are going to go with a bunch of guys making sub 3m on their pk. edmonton won't have any issues
Sure. They’ll have some good PK’ers but the 95% rate they had in the playoffs is probably not repeatable. That’s way out of whack with their regular season numbers and no other team even came close to that.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Seems like buying out Nurse is the best of all the crappy opoptions.
They could also retain 50%.. 4.5mil frees up. Still not the best though.
Feel like they are better off paying to get rid of him and trade Bouchard and replacing with a bunch of 2,3,4s. Sort of like the canucks with the sedins.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Sure. They’ll have some good PK’ers but the 95% rate they had in the playoffs is probably not repeatable. That’s way out of whack with their regular season numbers and no other team even came close to that.

people love to claim edmonton are going to suck but they've averaged above a .625 winning percentage over the last five seasons. people severely underestimate what having the two best players in the game does for you and now they have hyman and bouchard they're better than ever imo

Reactions: pitseleh and Vector

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
They could also retain 50%.. 4.5mil frees up. Still not the best though.
Feel like they are better off paying to get rid of him and trade Bouchard and replacing with a bunch of 2,3,4s. Sort of like the canucks with the sedins.
Retaining 50% doesn't really do anything for Edmonton though. They will likely have to spend more than the $4.5m saving on a replacement for Nurse on the 2nd pairing. Even if they find the perfect fit, they are probably not saving any cap space (likely to spend more actually) and they would be down a bunch of assets dumping off Nurse AND acquiring his replacement, all for a minor upgrade.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No one's gonna say draisatls cap hit is bad, or mcdavids will be. They are what they are because of who they are.

The problem is when you add in Bouchard and nurse.

Then think in 2 years of a 35yr old hyman making 5.5, 34yr old Hopkins making 5+.

They let their best 2 "prospects" go in the off-season. They don't have any impact prospects that are close or blue chippers and will waste what they have in the them and picks in the next 2 deadlines or dumping those older contracts.

The future is rough. The next 2 years are different tho
When you have McDavid/Draisaitl locked down for the next 9 years then "the future" is a 9 year window, even if years 2-4 are a bit rougher.

Yes obviously though Nurse is a massive drag on their competitiveness, when a guy who isn't very good is making $9.25M long term.

Reactions: andora

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Raanta could be a decent option. Probably wouldn’t mind sitting in the press box or driving to Abbotsford (?)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
people love to claim edmonton are going to suck but they've averaged above a .625 winning percentage over the last five seasons. people severely underestimate what having the two best players in the game does for you and now they have hyman and bouchard they're better than ever imo
I never said they suck. I said they have a two year window realistically. A 95% PK is also not replicable. Still a good team. Cup favourites? I’m not so sure.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
When McDavid signed, the max he could have gotten since he signed a year early, was $15 mill on a $75 mill cap. At $12.5 mill that is 16.67% of the cap. At this percentage, on a $92 mill cap, that's $15.3 mill. He'll probably land somewhere at $15 mill as the floor and upwards of $16 mill on the high end. Though he could take more if he wanted to.

If he signs for any less than 20% of the cap he'll be taking a discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad