Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Last season the Canucks were surprised they did as well. They were Hopeful if everything went well.

This year they have less skill on defence and injured goalies before the start of the season.
They also have several new players to be integrated into the line up.
Edmonton will be improved, LA, Vegas and even Anaheim and San Jose will not be the push overs they were.
That and there has been no news on Boeser's blood clots yet except he probably hasn't been working out very long.

For Columbus it would show they aren't just sitting back, it would be a good PR move at least and they do have lots of younger players of much higher quality than the Canucks do now.
Next 2 years will be even harder on the Canucks as OEL's buyout hit over 4.7 million which all but negates any 5 million dollar bump in the cap ceiling

?

Just for FYI.

I just lost my son in June and my brother in July, in both cases I had to flip the switch.

Yeah man, I remember you mentioning that in the Grub thread. That's awful. I'm so sorry. 😞 🫂 ❤️

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This year they have less skill on defence and injured goalies before the start of the season.
Edmonton will be improved, LA, Vegas and even Anaheim and San Jose will not be the push overs they were.
That and there has been no news on Boeser's blood clots yet except he probably hasn't been working out very long. AND BB is a FA in July so where will the team get the 8 mil for him? The closer to the end of the season the less likely he re-signs especially as he has requested a trade more than once.
We started last season icing a defence of Hughes-Hronek, Myers-Cole, and Juulsen-Hirose. Soucy started on the IR and we didn't get Zadorov until a good way through the season. Saying we have less skill on defence just isn't true.

Demko's injury isn't great news, but we don't have any reason to believe that Silovs injury is serious and he's shown capable of holding down the fort.

Edmonton has very little forward depth, lost two of their high-minute defenders, and might not have Kane back all season. How are they improved? The other teams are just tossed out as being better without any reason given.

Boeser's injury is concerning, but until we see him skate in pre-season games it's too early to feel like the sky is falling. As for resigning him, I suspect we'll move on from Garland and Suter this offseason replacing them with the most ready of Karlsson, Raty, Sasson, and Bains and reaping cap savings from that.

------

You have this fixation that the Canucks have all of these glaring weaknesses but seem completely unaware that other teams have similar question marks. Try taking a wider view of the league and applying your same pessimism to every other team in the league and you'll see why we're top-5 in odds to win the cup this season.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Last season the Canucks were surprised they did as well. They were Hopeful if everything went well.

That and there has been no news on Boeser's blood clots yet except he probably hasn't been working out very long. AND BB is a FA in July so where will the team get the 8 mil for him? The closer to the end of the season the less likely he re-signs especially as he has requested a trade more than once.

For Columbus it would show they aren't just sitting back, it would be a good PR move at least and they do have lots of younger players of much higher quality than the Canucks do now.
Next 2 years will be even harder on the Canucks as OEL's buyout hit over 4.7 million which all but negates any 5 million dollar bump in the cap ceiling

?

Just for FYI.

I just lost my son in June and my brother in July, in both cases I had to flip the switch.
I must say I disagree with a lot of this.

Defense is pretty much the same as last season. Desharnais and Forbort are slight downgrades in some respects to Cole and Zadorov but in terms of skill it’s pretty much a wash. Desharnais and Forbort are good to great at the PK (Zadorov was average at best in that regard). Losing Zadorov’s mobility sucks but it’s not like we’re in a net loss considering Desharnais and Forbort are much better skaters than Cole. The real only loss was Cole’s ability to eat some valuable minutes in the top 4 and I’m less confident in having Myers essentially replace that role.

Forget Anaheim and SJ lol.

As for Columbus they’ll need to trade for a cap dump to get to the cap floor but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they are given a temporary exemption considering this has happened right near the end of the off season and that’s an absolute large chunk of salary to fill so quickly.

In regards to us, right now, our roster is set and at this current moment in time we have no bad contracts and while Columbus has good pieces, I don’t think it really makes sense at this point in time for them or for us. They’re not going to trade one of their younger players for a cap dump because that would be extremely bad.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The points are well made by previous posters.......Once you get past Hughes and Hronek, the rest of the group is 30 or older. It's still very much a 'transitional blueline' for the Canucks.

Obviously they have high hopes for Wilander; and there's a possibility some of their young d-men like D-Petey, McWard, Kudryavtsev, or Mynio could jump into an NHL job after some development time in Abbotsford.

But the hard reality is, the Canucks will still be out scouring the market for d-men, either via trade or free agency for at least the rest of this season, and probably into the next as well.

It's hardly ideal, but price you pay for the almost complete inability of the last regime to find a single credible d-man in the draft--other than Hughes.

Reactions: wetcoast

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Man, I can't wait until we have some actual hockey to talk about around here.
Yeah for real.

I really want to talk about how much Pettersson sucks ass, why we don’t got enough Canadians, if Demko is damaged goods, Hughes for Owen Power (“try” to anyway shout out Bobby9), if Tocchet is an old school coach or not, Myers’s increasingly long neck, why our arena DJ is still employed, and yeah. Some real hockey discussions.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah for real.

I really want to talk about how much Pettersson sucks ass, why we don’t got enough Canadians, if Demko is damaged goods, Hughes for Owen Power (“try” to anyway shout out Bobby9), if Tocchet is an old school coach or not, Myers’s increasingly long neck, why our arena DJ is still employed, and yeah. Some real hockey discussions.
I would like to dig a little deeper in the DJ one and Tylers neck

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah for real.

Bobby didn't actually say that, did he?!?!?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Bobby didn't actually say that, did he?!?!?
Screenshot_20240902_135619_Chrome.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We started last season icing a defence of Hughes-Hronek, Myers-Cole, and Juulsen-Hirose. Soucy started on the IR and we didn't get Zadorov until a good way through the season. Saying we have less skill on defence just isn't true.

Demko's injury isn't great news, but we don't have any reason to believe that Silovs injury is serious and he's shown capable of holding down the fort.

Edmonton has very little forward depth, lost two of their high-minute defenders, and might not have Kane back all season. How are they improved? The other teams are just tossed out as being better without any reason given.

Boeser's injury is concerning, but until we see him skate in pre-season games it's too early to feel like the sky is falling. As for resigning him, I suspect we'll move on from Garland and Suter this offseason replacing them with the most ready of Karlsson, Raty, Sasson, and Bains and reaping cap savings from that.

------

You have this fixation that the Canucks have all of these glaring weaknesses but seem completely unaware that other teams have similar question marks. Try taking a wider view of the league and applying your same pessimism to every other team in the league and you'll see why we're top-5 in odds to win the cup this season.
The thing is that the Oilers forward depth is actually pretty good, people need to go take a look instead of just hoping, and our super hot start last season was a complete surprise and sure we had a great season but our team doesn't really look like a serious SC contender unless everything goes extremely right and a lot can go wrong here, especially on the back end.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While I hate the current incarnation of that franchise, it’s certainly a turnaround for Edmonton fans from the 90s when they kept developing talent only for it to leave.

Have to think locking up Draisaitl is a harbinger that McDavid will stay as well.

Can’t fault the AAV or the term, either.

Reactions: bossram

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Edmontons cup window really is the next two years imo. And it’s a great opportunity.
But once McDrai and Bouchard are making a combined $40 million or so along with Nurse’s $9.25 million it pretty much is closed.
Add to that one of the worst prospect pools in the league and its clear they need to be all in for these next two years.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Edmontons cup window really is the next two years imo. And it’s a great opportunity.
But once McDrai and Bouchard are making a combined $40 million or so along with Nurse’s $9.25 million it pretty much is closed.
Add to that one of the worst prospect pools in the league and its clear they need to be all in for these next two years.

40m for drai, mcdavid and bouchard is a steal if bouchard can replicate his play from the playoffs

edmonton's problem is never going to be paying those 3 too much it's going to be putting the right depth around them. if mcdavid extends they'll have the best top 6 in the league all the way out to 2028 (when hyman expires) basically by default. all they really need to do to stay a legit contender is find a replacement for ekholm and maybe add another top 4 defender. it's not easy but it's also not impossible

Reactions: Hodgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad