Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's probably worth it at a particular salary. Even when Demko is back Silovs can start 50+ games in the AHL and you'd run a Demko/Lankinen combo. Canucks made him an offer so obviously they have a number in mind.

If nothing else, we can always trade Lankinen if Silvos looks good enough to actually take off backup duties and we need the salary for a bigger deadline acquisition.

I'm more curious if they'll finally find a way to dump Poolman. If not, well, this is his last year. So we're free, regardless.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just sign Lankinen already.

I don't know if I can stand listening to Pantera for an extended period of time.

I'd expect he's currently holding out for richer deals (ie. AAV that puts the Canucks into LTIR, which they don't want), and the Canucks are waiting to see if his price will come down, or other options become available. I still expect we'll add another veteran goalie before camp.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
"Embrace hard" is certainly a couple of words placed together.
1724947090400.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

And then, Thursday, came the reveal: Silovs is dealing with a knee problem, according to a statement released on X by the Latvian hockey federation.

“Initially, it was planned to register goalkeeper Artūrs Šilov for the tournament, who, unfortunately, did not manage to recover quickly enough from knee ligament inflammation, which prevents him from participating in the tournament games with maximum performance,” they said.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They (LHF) are causing drama where it is unnecessary with this phrasing. This COULD be a problem for NHL season IF we pushed forward w him as starter in this qualy, which won't happen (we have already submitted three goalies - Gudļevskis, Grigals and Vītols). Since we are NOT doing that, but resting him - there's no need to panic (I have some inside sources on this, no sarcasm).

This is a good follow-up from a Latvian,

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
At least the Canucks have their own first and second in next years draft. Start looking at the top 10 picks.

Just jokes people, relax.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
A lengthy quote from Artūrs Irbe, Latvian NT goalie coach; translation by me, so forgive a non-native speaker if something is off:

Artūrs is a person who likes to work and feel healthy amount of fatigue and therefore sleep well because he has done a good job. In the previous weeks, the soreness began to appear. Like any hockey player, the tried to get through it. At first he tried to rest, then rest for a little longer, getting to a point where he could think about returning to regular practice again.

His butterfly style and his size means is forced to go down on his knees all the time. Such style of play and such micro-injury does not allow him to perform all the necessary movement comfortably. It can be endured for a while, but over time it becomes a chronic problem.

During the training process, we tried to sense how things are going. We realized that he will not be able to return fully until these games. The schedule is very condensed. We cannot ice him in one period and then another goalkeeper for the next two. That's not how it works! A goalie has to be 100 percent ready in every situation. Moreover, this tournament is not end-all for him. If it was the ending stage of the World Championship, maybe he could risk it. However, at the moment, he could risk a chronic injury for months...

We were not entitled to gamble in this situation. Maybe it works out, maybe not, maybe it does - no one would forgive us, neither media, nor our fans, neither the management nor we ourselves. We have to put the most capable roster on the ice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If nothing else, we can always trade Lankinen if Silvos looks good enough to actually take off backup duties and we need the salary for a bigger deadline acquisition.

I'm more curious if they'll finally find a way to dump Poolman. If not, well, this is his last year. So we're free, regardless.
The Latvian Ice Hockey Federation has confirmed that the reason Arturs Silovs wasn't invited to the Pre-Olympic hockey tournament is that he's suffering from 'knee ligament inflammation'. Yikes!

It'll be interesting to see how many goaltenders are left standing when camp officially opens in the third week of September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad