Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Silovs playoff stats: 2.91 GAA and a save % of . 898

It's not terrible for a rookie in his first playoffs, but many of the goals he surrendered in the latter half of the series were total stinkers. There was too much movement on nothing plays which left massive gaps at the top half of the net. It was sort of the same deal with his play in Abbotsford...he could be having a spectacular game but lose it in a span of a few minutes.

He still has potential but you ideally hope Demko is ready to go or they target a 1B goaltender to ensure he's insulated.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Woodley is super high on Lankinen, says he was his top goalie FA. Adjusted numbers over the past two seasons apparently have him highly ranked, and compared him to Charlie Lindgren. Shocked he's still available, but thinks it has to do with his asking price.

Reactions: bossram

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The concern is less so that this is a one-time injury that and that the team needs to overcome not having him for 1/4, 1/2, all of the regular season…

But that there seems to be a pattern to these injuries that suggests there is something fundamentally wrong with the mechanics of Demko’s body that will cause these injuries to repeatedly occur.

His workload was managed last year far more than ever with DeSmith and his body still let him down in the stretch and then again in the playoffs.

The concern is more so that even if he rested all regular season and then came back for the playoffs that he would still be just as prone to injury as he was before and not be available for the most important games.

My understanding is that the butterfly style is unnatural and puts a lot of strain on the hips and knees (especially the ACL). Taller goalies are especially prone to hip issues. So it's not as much there being "something fundamentally wrong with the mechanics of Demko's body" but the style that Demko plays. It's why pitchers getting Tommy John surgeries have become a frequent comparison. Even Luongo, who was known for his durability, essentially retired because the pain was too much for him to get ready for games.

I also wouldn't say Demko's "workload was managed last year far more than ever with Desmith". Here's a post I made before the AS game: 23-24 Load Management Thread

I was thinking more along the lines of needing to play DeSmith more to preserve Demko, but I figure this thread can be used to talk about other players as well.
Demko has now started in in 34 out of 47 games. Assuming DeSmith starts the next game, Demko is on pace to play 58 games. He is tied for 3rd (with 4 others) in starts/games played. DeSmith has been good so Demko has managed to rest on his scheduled games off.

Having your backup goalie play one of the back to back games really shouldn't be considered load management.

Reactions: bossram

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Another thing that IMO all NHL team should be using: An actual goalie "rotation". All starts are pre-planned, similar to starting pitchers in baseball. The rest/recovery period is predictable. They know the prep needed for their next game. And ideally having a third goalie to be the "ballcap guy" so even if the starter gets pulled, the other guy doesn't have to come into the game.

I've been pondering this for a few years now...since you very rarely see goalies getting 60 starts, and 70 never happens anymore. When I began, there was like 5-10 guys each year getting 65+ games. For that reason, I really think Luongo's 06-07 campaign will be forever underrated. 76 starts with a 92+ SV% is ethereal.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I've been pondering this for a few years now...since you very rarely see goalies getting 60 starts, and 70 never happens anymore. When I began, there was like 5-10 guys each year getting 65+ games. For that reason, I really think Luongo's 06-07 campaign will be forever underrated. 76 starts with a 92+ SV% is ethereal.
Pfff, didn't even win the Vezina. Not THAT great.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I can now hear the pedro song with demko in the lyrics.

Lankinen would be nice, he's a decent 30 games tendy and he has spearheaded the reading club in finnish national team. Absolutely no material for drama.
Lankinen would be a good option if Demko is really not ready to go (hopefully not)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unless we're trading Silovs for a more proven goaltender, I agree that signing Lankinen is a good idea.

Reactions: DFAC

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
so yesterday was demko demko demko and today is clarke clarke clarke.

hmm.
Maybe Clarke is going to be the scape goat for Demko's injuries or lack of being ready or able to play at the start of the season.

With the decline on defence on paper the need for a workhorse on the back end is vital.

The Canucks surprised a few teams but this year they are now marketing fodder for most teams in the league due to them taking Edmonton to 7 games in the playoffs.

Last year they got over 20 easy points from the Oilers, Sharks and Blackhawks with another easy 23 from non playoff teams, bottom third of the league.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Quinn Hughes is the main NHL 25 cover athlete

I get the feeling the Canucks are using the black skate jersey as their home jersey next season. They mostly used it for the Canucks in the trailer, and the Canucks used the flying skate colors on the graphic for next season's schedule when they revealed it.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Columbus just got Harris who plays the left side which essentially blocks Mateychuk from joining the team, does this make Provarov expendable, does he become this years Zadorov??

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
God damn right Quinn is the center
That photo of jack. LOL he looks like he is 4-5 years younger than Luke

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 11.40.35 AM.png

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

I get the feeling the Canucks are using the black skate jersey as their home jersey next season. They mostly used it for the Canucks in the trailer, and the Canucks used the flying skate colors on the graphic for next season's schedule when they revealed it.

think you're right

that sucks

Reactions: credulous

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Too good to be true

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Crazy! All that talent in one family. The parents deserve a lot of credit.
I'm sure the Hughes brothers all benefitted from being associated with the NHL and pro hockey from a young age. And of course they were at the top of their age category in every amateur league they ever played in.

But what struck me about the Hughes brothers were all those early videos of them playing on outdoor, backyard rinks. I'm sure as kids growing up they spent hours and hours just freelancing on backyard rinks and ponds. It's how their skating, lateral agility and edgework became almost legendary.

There's probably a lesson there for young players.....unstructured, joyful play on an outdoor sheet of ice no bigger than a drive-way. Sadly with the planet warming, those kinds of outdoor rinks are going the way of the dodo-bird.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm really curious to see how the Penguins handle their roster. I imagine the top-6 will have some combination of the following:

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rackell

They have a lot of bottom-6 forwards signed to one-way contracts, though.

Hayes - 2y/3.57m
Glass - 1y/2.5m
Eller - 1y/2.45m
Acciari - 2y/2.0m
Lizotte - 2y/1.85m
Beauvillier - 1y/1.25m
O'Connor - 1y/0.925m
Nieto - 1y/0.9m (IR)
Puljujarvi - 1y/0.8m
Puustinen - 2y/0.775m
Bemstrom - 1y/0.775m
Koppanen - 1y/0.775m

Nieto will start the season on IR and Koppanen is an obvious cut. Hayes, Glass, Lizotte, and Beauvillier were brought in this off-season. Bemstrom and Puljujarvi were added mid-season last year. Acciari and Eller were 2023 UFAs. O'Connor and Puustinen are the only players on this list not acquired by Dubas. They are also two of the highest performing players.

O'Connor is particularly intriguing. 6'3, 200lbs college UFA from when Allvin was the Penguins' director of Amateur Scouting and Rutherford was GM. 33 points (16g 17a) in 79 games last season. Not particularly physical (48 hits last season) but was second on the team in PK TOI. 26 years old and slated to become a UFA at the end of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad