Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Management does not want to handicap the team like the Devils did or the Oilers, with Campbell to start the season. Even if they are fully confident that Silovs could be a starter for most of the season, they probably aren't confident that Patera can spell him enough. I suspect they'd much rather have someone like Lankinen rotate with Silovs.

I still chuckle at the fact that the Oilers strutted into the first game of the season against lowly Vancouver, and decided to start Campbell in net. Only for him to get lit up. And then switch to Skinner. Only for him to get...lit up.

It was glorious.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
O'Connor is a guy I'd circle. There are stretches he looked really good last season. 23 xG. Bang in some greasy goals.

He's a guy I would bet to score 20+ next season if I was more certain about his place in the lineup.

Yeah, just sign Lankinen and hope Demmer is back soon.

The only other option for goaltending is to like trade Poolman to Detroit for Husso at 50% just so they can get him off their roster. Problem, Husso's only good season was two seasons ago and he's been butt since.

Dubas occasionally makes really weird decisions and I'd hope that O'Connor is a guy that becomes available in training camp because they are prioritizing their new toys.

I still chuckle at the fact that the Oilers strutted into the first game of the season against lowly Vancouver, and decided to start Campbell in net. Only for him to get lit up. And then switch to Skinner. Only for him to get...lit up.

It was glorious.

I think about this a lot. Canucks came so damn close to destroying the Oilers franchise last season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Management does not want to handicap the team like the Devils did or the Oilers, with Campbell to start the season. Even if they are fully confident that Silovs could be a starter for most of the season, they probably aren't confident that Patera can spell him enough. I suspect they'd much rather have someone like Lankinen rotate with Silovs.

They can't go into the season with Silovs/Patera with Tolopilo next up, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I also don't think anyone would be particularly concerned if Silovs was the starter in Abbotsford for most of the season. It would help if he put together a stretch of high-level play in the AHL. Even if Demko was removed from the equation, I don't think we'd run Silovs as starter, it will probably still be a platoon.

I expect them to add a veteran goalie, but I'm not sure if they will wait until teams running three deep on their goalie chart start waiving guys and see what shakes free, or move now.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The only other option for goaltending is to like trade Poolman to Detroit for Husso at 50% just so they can get him off their roster. Problem, Husso's only good season was two seasons ago and he's been butt since.

Dubas occasionally makes really weird decisions and I'd hope that O'Connor is a guy that becomes available in training camp because they are prioritizing their new toys.

I think about this a lot. Canucks came so damn close to destroying the Oilers franchise last season.
Ehh, I'd much rather just go with Lankinen that whatever Husso is now. He's been bad + there's injury problems. Getting rid of Poolman might just be a pure dump.

I would like to inquire on O'Connor, but the Canucks forward corps is also quite crowded.

Reactions: Vector

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
They can't go into the season with Silovs/Patera with Tolopilo next up, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I also don't think anyone would be particularly concerned if Silovs was the starter in Abbotsford for most of the season. It would help if he put together a stretch of high-level play in the AHL. Even if Demko was removed from the equation, I don't think we'd run Silovs as starter, it will probably still be a platoon.

I expect them to add a veteran goalie, but I'm not sure if they will wait until teams running three deep on their goalie chart start waiving guys and see what shakes free, or move now.
Demko was last on the ice 4 months ago .
Something is not adding up here.Did he just have surgery or is he toast .Like I said before he has to many uncertainties this team does not need..Are we gonna be able to count on him going forward..

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The interesting thing is, last season, Tolopilo was more impressive in Abbotsford. They had very similar numbers but he was far more consistent.

Hell, a 25 year career AHLer like Sawchenko looked more comfortable in net based on the games I watched.

You ideally want to see your goalie prospects putting up a .920 SV% or greater in the AHL to show he's making progress.

He's at the very end of his NHL career but I would give Antti Raanta a PTO. It would be a decent veteran pick up.

Long-term? Goalie prospects in the system look pretty mediocre...Young and Koskenvuo? This is the long-term effects of lacking 2nd rounders. You totally lose the ability to draft decent goalie prospects.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The interesting thing is, last season, Tolopilo was more impressive in Abbotsford. They had very similar numbers but he was far more consistent.

I think Silovs has a tendency to get himself out of position but he has the temperament you like in a goalie under pressure. If he can improve his positioning and puck tracking he can be a #1. He reminds me a bit of Eddie Lack.

Reactions: Vector

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
We don’t have all the information… I think it really depends on how long they think Demko will be out for. They can push the decision a while longer to give themselves a better picture on the timeline.

I think there is a reason we really haven’t heard much though. We know we won’t hear anything until something happens

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We don’t have all the information… I think it really depends on how long they think Demko will be out for. They can push the decision a while longer to give themselves a better picture on the timeline.

I think there is a reason we really haven’t heard much though. We know we won’t hear anything until something happens

I think the biggest thing is that no one knows when he'll be healthy and how long he can last. If they were confident he'd be able to start and stay healthy, then we wouldn't be hearing this but with the unreliability, there's a bigger need to get someone. Very similar reasoning to grabbing DeSmith right as training camp started last season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Nash, probably should be similar to the Rutger for Yager deal. Prospect for prospect, I would imagine.

Logical for SJ to want a young goalie (either NHL ready this season or next) into their organization, vs hope for their 202X goalies. They took Gaudreau in Rd 3 in 2021, as he returned for an overage year in the OHL last year. Beaupit in Rd 4 in 2022 went from W to BCHL last season. And they just took a Swiss goalie in Rd 4 this past draft. Have to go back to 2018 for another G and he's been in the ECHL the past couple of seasons.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Could one of them be a cheap option for us to pursue?

(all I am remembering right now is us thumping the crap out of them 10-1...)
Blackwood totally sucks. Would take a flyer on Vanecek as he's proven to be average in the league but he makes 3.4 mil this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad