Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That is literally what happens across the NHL. 2nd & 3rd round picks are not guarantees to be solid NHLers.

In the 2014 Draft, 9 out of 30 2nd round picks have played 200+ NHL games. 12 picks have played 0 NHL games. In the 3rd round, it is 4 picks with 200+ games played (and 2 goalies with 190+) and 14 picks with 0 NHL games played.

A 2nd or 3rd round pick is roughly 50/50 to play 0 NHL games or 200+ NHL games and more likely to play less than 200 NHL games than 200+ NHL games.

Yes, we need to hit on some of these. Be on the right side, or call it the lucky side. Maybe more than the average team if I believe the thesis that players won't come to Buffalo. (I don't)

Peterk was a huge, huge get at 34. Massive. Traded to move. If it's all GMKA there, bravo. or whatever scout. You just cannot say enough about that move and how good it looks.

Great teams pull a Braydon Point in the third round and win cups. In the last decade, Oloffson has been our best-value non-first-rounder. UPL may pass him by a country mile soon. But you have to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the draft

If you see one or two guys showing value from beyond first or a 28th overall, like Kulich becoming a top six, that's when the Sabres will really be turned around.

I'm not saying we've missed in the last 3-4 fours, but we really need someone to emerge. Maybe it's Walberg? Maybe who knows but you have to find gold in draft.

Go back in Sabres history, and you see a team that found talent who played in the NHL beyond the first round. Sneer at Clarke McArthur, but he was good in the NHL in the third. Sekera at #71 overall, brilliant. Pominvile at 52? Even Kotalik. I get his career was average, but for a 6th-round pick, mind-boggling value.

If we start finding that value, and I'm not saying we haven't, then everything changes in Buffalo. That is what Adams is selling. He has to start delivering this year—not a lot, but something. And more next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad