Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
imo they should move willander sooner rather than later

he's a decent prospect but BU are going with gavin mccarthy (also a sophmore) next to cole hutson (a freshman) on their top pairing. willander is playing with boumedienne (a freshman and possible first round pick in 2025) on the second pair. hutson gets the majority of power play time and boumedienne and willander have both been tried on the second unit. he's not really getting the opportunity to be a star at the ncaa level and his development has been frankly disappointing. he still has all the same weaknesses he had when he started at BU

combine that with the fact he's kind of undersized for his style of play and i think he's way more valuable to vancouver as a trade chip than as a potential lineup insertion. if they can use him as the centerpiece for another hronek trade they should absolutely do it
Is it troll Wednesday or something?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d read this more as “well if I’m not going to get an NHL deal, it’ll take a pretty appealing situation for me to want to keep going as a 2-time cup winner in my mid thirties.”

Swiss league is, from what I understand, a pretty sweet gig for a guy like Schultz. Only 50whatever GP, limited travel, it’s in f***ing Switzerland, and I believe the pay for high profile imports is quite solid.

Beats the pants off of grinding it out in the AHL or dealing with the weirdness of the KHL for a guy in Schultz’ position who is probably mostly continuing because he’s looking to avoid regrets when he rides into the sunset.
Yea I just found it to be an interesting way of spinning things. He was searching for a 1-way contract over a “unique opportunity”.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yea I just found it to be an interesting way of spinning things. He was searching for a 1-way contract over a “unique opportunity”.
I think once we’re into the season, that ship has sailed and guys move into their “unique opportunity” era.

Although, if you’re in your mid30s and your +/- in recent years has been so far into deficit territory that your hockeydb page is easily confused with the BCCP’s costed platform, maybe a 1-way NHL deal would have been considered a “unique opportunity,” too.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Would really like to see Bains and Brannstrom sent down tomorrow. Even if it's just for two days, that would increase the Canucks cap space to 2.13m and would be a nice little chunk of additional cap space accrued over those two days.
Plus they would receive the enriching cultural experience of a weekend in Abbotsford.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
imo they should move willander sooner rather than later

he's a decent prospect but BU are going with gavin mccarthy (also a sophmore) next to cole hutson (a freshman) on their top pairing. willander is playing with boumedienne (a freshman and possible first round pick in 2025) on the second pair. hutson gets the majority of power play time and boumedienne and willander have both been tried on the second unit. he's not really getting the opportunity to be a star at the ncaa level and his development has been frankly disappointing. he still has all the same weaknesses he had when he started at BU

combine that with the fact he's kind of undersized for his style of play and i think he's way more valuable to vancouver as a trade chip than as a potential lineup insertion. if they can use him as the centerpiece for another hronek trade they should absolutely do it
Going forwards, what the team needs are cheap mobile dmen with a good outlet pass and can absorb hard minutes. He's tracking to fit both of those criteria. Trading him because he might not be a pp QB or a dynamic puck-rusher is shortsighted.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
We have some great coffee shops now!
1729722355954.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well anyone who argued against the Hronek trade got it wrong. Haha. Hronek has been excellent for the team.
It appeared at the time that the Canucks were going out on a bit of a limb--blowing their first rounder in the Horvat trade; and also throwing a second rounder into the mix, to get Hronek out of the Detroit. Then reupping him for seven years at $7.25m seemed risky as well.

But for Allvin, Hronek was 'his guy'. Finding a 'minute-munching' right shot d-man who can put up points is well nigh impossible to trade for. And in the early going, wouldn't Detroit love to have him back.

Still can't understand what Yzerman was doing. I guess they just didn't want to pay him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Heinen's trade protection is 12 teams. He's from Langley and wants to stay and play close to home.

If you really wanted to, I'm sure you can find a deal with one of the 19 other teams.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It appeared at the time that the Canucks were going out on a bit of a limb--blowing their first rounder in the Horvat trade; and also throwing a second rounder into the mix, to get Hronek out of the Detroit. Then reupping him for seven years at $7.25m seemed risky as well.

But for Allvin, Hronek was 'his guy'. Finding a 'minute-munching' right shot d-man who can put up points is well nigh impossible to trade for. And in the early going, wouldn't Detroit love to have him back.

Still can't understand what Yzerman was doing. I guess they just didn't want to pay him.
Canucks had a spare first rounder. He played a full season before they extended him. Hronek was a good player in Detroit. He didn't have a partner to play top pair with and Detroit was a weaker team. I got no idea why Detroit got rid of him. At least don't have to hear about the Yzerplan anymore because there isn't one.

Heinen's trade protection is 12 teams. He's from Langley and wants to stay and play close to home.

If you really wanted to, I'm sure you can find a deal with one of the 19 other teams.
He scored two goals last game and it's now time to get rid of him?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks had a spare first rounder. He played a full season before they extended him. Hronek was a good player in Detroit. He didn't have a partner to play top pair with and Detroit was a weaker team. I got no idea why Detroit got rid of him. At least don't have to hear about the Yzerplan anymore because there isn't one.

He scored two goals last game and it's now time to get rid of him?
I was replying to another poster aghast at the fact that he has trade protection. I don't want to trade him.

Reactions: ManVanFan

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Well anyone who argued against the Hronek trade got it wrong. Haha. Hronek has been excellent for the team.
the thing about the Hronek trade is it was made at a time where people weren't sure if the team was worth investing in and maybe should be blown up instead. but this management threaded the needle, they successfully retooled and made the playoffs. And while a successive playoff appearance this year isn't for certain yet, i think we're all feeling confident they'll be back.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad