Details Surrounding Nazem Kadri Trade

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Weird

The NHL targets Kadri, the Bruins know it and so they target Naz who loses his temper and does what almost anybody else would've done. The NHL on the thinnest of pretenses goes overboard with the discipline and essentially costs the Leafs the series, and then they do it again the following year.

The Leafs at that point had seen enough, LeaFland is carrying the torches, pitchforks and a healthy disdain for Nazem blaming the ills of the world on him. The Leafs saw the opening and used it.

FF a few years, another playoff, same two teams, Bruins star David Pastrnak stops up short and blows up Morgan Reilly with the so called "Forsberg" check, the same check OEL used and was fined 5k for. Oh and without even a 2minute minor for Pastrnak, such is life!

I'm glad Naz has told the story and didn't shine it up too much leaving it pretty much intact. Unlike Wayne polishing up the LA trade.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I'm not gonna get into the discussion of this too much because I'm gonna eventually read the book myself soon, but all I will say is that anyone who wants to tar and feather Kadri and call him an idiot for sticking up for his team and wearing his heart on his sleeve can get lost. Unlike other cowards who couldn't handle this market, he embraced all the adversity and scrutiny and wanted to be a Leaf for life. He proudly wore that crest every f***ing night and he went to war for his team. Even Matthews and others have mentioned in recent years after the trade that Naz was the best teammate and had a great attitude and outlook in the room. He had his warts but for better or for us he embraced who he was and truly grew up here, and he had the back of his team.

Blame the league for their double standard on reffing and supplementary discipline, or for the management and team for creating a cowardly culture where guys didn't have each other's backs. Why did it always land on Naz? DeBrusk almost pulled a Chara-Pacioretty on a respected vet like Marleau and there was no discipline for that. A season later Chara does EXACTY what Kadri did to DeBrusk but even more blatantly to Gallagher (he even mocks Gallagher for jerking back his neck out of recoil) and he doesn't even get a f***ing penalty Let alone a suspension, only a pathetic 5K fine. A 6'9 ogre doing that to a dude who is 5'10 at most in good lighting, what an absolute joke.

Naz loved Toronto and I wish we had more players who played with pride and passion like him. f*** Dubas for that dog shit video game trade, Barrie solved none of our problems and if anything was emblematic of the exact issues this team had in its roster construction, and was also a heartless coward himself
I think this sums it up purposefully.

Reactions: 1specter

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
I don't see what's so bad. He was lucky he was told anything.

Was he? He signed a longterm sweetheart deal and all he got was a 10 team no trade that kicked in a couple years into the deal.

I think the lucky ones are all the losers that got overpaid and better trade protection in the years afterwards.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Was he? He signed a longterm sweetheart deal and all he got was a 10 team no trade that kicked in a couple years into the deal.

I think the lucky ones are all the losers that got overpaid and better trade protection in the years afterwards.
True, but GM builds the team the way he sees fit.

It was wrong, but don't blame him for this decision. It's business.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Not sure what the issue is. He was traded like every other player. Kadri even had a clause for him not to go to Calgary, and he didnt.

His wife being pregnant should have nothing to with it. Especially sports where players are moved around and traded so it's important for teams to max out what they can get before the opportunity disappears.

But it really doesn't matter unless someone thinks that a player cant get traded, or a normal job guy isnt allowed to get fired as long as his wife is pregnant.

Sports (and any job) is a two way street. Sometimes management are bums. Sometimes the person is a scumbag too. Looks how many times in life a player or normal guy gets a good gig, gets paid well and totally sucks. It's not like the company can force him to take less pay. They got to live with it till they get rid of him or he quits.

As for Kadri, he also f***ed up screwing the leafs with bad penalties and suspensions at the worst time. Playoff time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Should have put him on left wing with Tavares and Marner as linemates and then went hard for a quality third line centre (probably could have gotten legendary Kerfoot for a 3rd or b prospect). We would have won the cup years ago. The leafs brass can’t assemble a winner.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Should have put him on left wing with Tavares and Marner as linemates and then went hard for a quality third line centre (probably could have gotten legendary Kerfoot for a 3rd or b prospect). We would have won the cup years ago. The leafs brass can’t assemble a winner.
Should have not signed Tavares and looked for a checcin 3rd line center that could handle the fighting and tough stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad