Greatest/Favorite NHL Players & History of the League

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Should the Hockey Mods allow,

Thread dedicated to the NHL's greatest players, our favorite players as fans, great or no, the history of the league, soup to nuts.

Not chronological, "organic:" opinions, books, articles, personal stories, video, audio, "My Brush With Greatness, Mediocrity, or Meanies," memories, et. al. as you please.

Origin stories,

Legends Of Hockey

is an excellent place to start, if you can find it. Bits and pieces on YouTube. All the greats up to that point in hockey history.

Also, Hockey, A People's History,

The History of the Boston Bruins.

If you're a Boston Bruins fan young or old, especially the former, a surprisingly thorough and considered documentary. Free on YouTube,

I will start with one of the greatest left wings ever to play in the NHL, four-time Stanley Cup champion, Ted Lindsay.

1718598819828.png

"Terrible Ted."

The Ted Lindsay Award, formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson Award, is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's most outstanding player in the regular season as voted by the members of the NHL Players' Association. It is considered the companion award to the Hart Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the league's most valuable player as judged by members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Key Points about the Ted Lindsay Award

• First awarded in 1971, it was renamed in 2010 after Ted Lindsay of the Detroit Red Wings to honor his role in establishing the original Players' Association.
  • The award is unique as the only NHL award voted on solely by active players themselves.
  • It is considered a peer-judged award, with players voting for the player they deem most outstanding that season.

Undersized, exceptionally talented, dirty as f*ck and willing to do *anything* to win -- like someone else we all know around here -- and the person most responsible for breaking the groundwork on a NHL players union.

For which he paid a heavy price,

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1966, he refused to attend the ceremony because women (his wife, his daughter) were prohibited from attending.

Lindsay also started the tradition of hoisting the Stanley Cup and skating it about for fans to enjoy. "Without them, we have no league. They're the ones who pay our salary. I wanted to show our fans respect."

As noted, there are all kinds of ways to contribute to this thread.

*Have fun.*

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bobby Orr....end of story

Bobby Orr revolutionized the game of hockey. Before him defensemen were pretty much stapled to the blue line. He was the first true offensive defenseman, capable of scoring whenever the puck was on his stick either by taking the shot himself or passing it off to an open teammate. Yet he also played suffocating defense.

In his brief career he set a standard for excellence & achievement that may never be equaled.

Truly the GOAT

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs - Keon & Horton
Canadiens- Beliveau & Cournoyer
Red Wings- Howe & Delvecchio
Rangers - Ratelle & Gilbert
Chicago - Hull & Mikita

These were the duos as league doubled from 6 to 12

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I only really started following hockey in the mid 90s. Focusing only on players since that time, if I could pick six players to watch in their prime forever, it would be:

37-63-88 I mean, duh....lol

And from Philadelphia (sorry, but this line is the reason I started to love hockey)

88-10-19

Two different styles but both a lot of fun

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Bobby Orr revolutionized the game of hockey. Before him defensemen were pretty much stapled to the blue line. He was the first true offensive defenseman, capable of scoring whenever the puck was on his stick either by taking the shot himself or passing it off to an open teammate. Yet he also played suffocating defense.

In his brief career he set a standard for excellence & achievement that may never be equaled.

Truly the GOAT
I very much agree, but in terms of the overall greatest NHL player, it is a debate between Howe and Orr.

Gordie: The greatest ever all-around player/power forward. A deceptively strong skater; he could defend, score prolifically and menace opponents with his elbows, stick and fists until retirement at the age of 52.

The total package.

1718599351122.png
1718599500013.png
1718599581928.png

1718599726274.png

The stories are legion, and every NHL legend has one. I encourage all to seek them out. Howe was ambidextrous, could score in multiple ways, and was a crafty, vicious competitor.

As Lou Fontinato, among many, discovered to his sorrow,

1718599873648.png
1718602402380.png
1718599938210.png

Bobby: Though he played just 10 short years due to injury, Orr did indeed revolutionize the game, and vastly expanded expectations of what a defenseman could do.

Amazing.

All you have to do is go back and look at the highlights on YouTube. He seemed to be going fast forward when everyone else was on pause. He was completely singular in that regard, and in my mind, remains so.

Most think of Orr, understandably, as an offensive anomaly from the back end. But, as you said, he was an extraordinary defender as well. He almost always returned to defend the net after a spectacular rush into the offensive zone.

It counts much with me as well that in his first season and maybe his second, they gave him everything they could in the intimidation department, and Bobby never backed down. Again, "Watch On YouTube,"

Not sure I ever saw him lose a fight. He obviously was not a hulking, big guy, but he responded very aggressively and emotionally to physical challenges.

Orr was also a great leader, who played through unimaginable pain to be the best in the game. He never complained, and challenged his teammates, fiercely, to be the best they could be.

It is important to recall that Bobby had antecedents. Notably, Eddie Shore and Doug Harvey.

Even so, as the immortal Milt Schmidt, who knew what he was talking about, observed, "I played against great ones. I saw great ones. There was no one greater than Bobby Orr."

1718603504466.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Never really got to see Orr as he was just before my time.....for me my favorite was and will always be Raymond Bourque. Always loved watching players like Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman and Fedorov. As far as a good scrap it was always Bob Probert. one guy I always wanted to be a Bruin was Wendel Clark. I'm sure their are others but that is off the top of my head. Loved that era of hockey....

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I only really started following hockey in the mid 90s. Focusing only on players since that time, if I could pick six players to watch in their prime forever, it would be:

37-63-88 I mean, duh....lol

And from Philadelphia (sorry, but this line is the reason I started to love hockey)

88-10-19

Two different styles but both a lot of fun

Know your history,

Never really got to see Orr as he was just before my time.....for me my favorite was and will always be Raymond Bourque. Always loved watching players like Sakic, Forsberg, Sherman and Fedorov. As far as a good scrap it was always Bob Probert. one guy I always wanted to be a Bruin was Wendel Clark. I'm sure their are others but that is off the top of my head. Loved that era of hockey....

Sherman?

Reactions: KOZ37

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I very much agree, but in terms of the overall greatest NHL player, it is a debate between Howe and Orr.

Gordie: The greatest ever all-around player/power forward. A deceptively strong skater; he could defend, score prolifically and menace opponents with his elbows, stick and fists until retirement at the age of 52.

The total package.

View attachment 883527 View attachment 883529 View attachment 883530

View attachment 883532

The stories are legion, and every NHL legend has one. I encourage all to seek them out. Howe was ambidextrous, could score in multiple ways, and was a crafty, vicious competitor.

As Lou Fontinato, among many, discovered to his sorrow,

View attachment 883533 View attachment 883538 View attachment 883534

Bobby: Though he played just 10 short years due to injury, Orr did indeed revolutionize the game, and vastly expanded expectations of what a defenseman could do.

Amazing.

All you have to do is go back and look at the highlights on YouTube. He seemed to be going fast forward when everyone else was on pause. He was completely singular in that regard, and in my mind, remains so.

Most think of Orr, understandably, as an offensive anomaly from the back end. But, as you said, he was an extraordinary defender as well. He almost always returned to defend the net after a spectacular rush into the offensive zone.

It counts much with me as well that in his first season and maybe his second, they gave him everything they could in the intimidation department, and Bobby never backed down. Again, "Watch On YouTube,"

Not sure I ever saw him lose a fight. He obviously was not a hulking, big guy, but he responded very aggressively and emotionally to physical challenges.

Orr was also a great leader, who played through unimaginable pain to be the best in the game. He never complained, and challenged his teammates, fiercely, to be the best they could be.

It is important to recall that Bobby had antecedents. Notably, Eddie Shore and Doug Harvey.

Even so, as the immortal Milt Schmidt, who knew what he was talking about, observed, "I played against great ones. I saw great ones. There was no one greater than Bobby Orr."

View attachment 883543

Gordie Howe is a very close #2 on my list. Best all around forward to ever play the game. :thumbu:

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
My personal favorite growing up was Neely

Went through a PJ stock phase (who didn't, twas dark times)

Then I dreamt of Mike Keenan's version of Joe Thornton.

Then it was Lucic who was both the rise and fall of the 2008-2015 Bruins. We are about the same age, I had season tickets from 2008-2015, he was the man. and I don't think I will ever have a favorite player like those who were older than me. So bummed it the reunion tour did not end well.

Reactions: BamBamCam and BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My personal favorite growing up was Neely

Went through a PJ stock phase (who didn't, twas dark times)

Then I dreamt of Mike Keenan's version of Joe Thornton.

Then it was Lucic who was both the rise and fall of the 2008-2015 Bruins. We are about the same age, I had season tickets from 2008-2015, he was the man. and I don't think I will ever have a favorite player like those who were older than me. So bummed it the reunion tour did not end well.

Same, Neely was and is my favorite. Then Stock and Dafoe, then Chara/Lucic/Quaider.

Honestly though my favorite hockey player growing up was Darren Banks. I know, odd choice, but I was a kid when the P-Bruins started up and we got season tickets. I remember every game it was a guarantee that he got in a fight. Just looked up his stats, in 2 seasons in Providence he had 388 PIM in 84 games. I miss the days of the blood donation AHL

Reactions: BMC

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Same, Neely was and is my favorite. Then Stock and Dafoe, then Chara/Lucic/Quaider.

Honestly though my favorite hockey player growing up was Darren Banks. I know, odd choice, but I was a kid when the P-Bruins started up and we got season tickets. I remember every game it was a guarantee that he got in a fight. Just looked up his stats, in 2 seasons in Providence he had 388 PIM in 84 games. I miss the days of the blood donation AHL
Nice!

My favorite AHL'er was Rob Murray. I went to a lot of Falcons games as a kid and he always down for a fight or 3

The 1996-1997 Falcons were fun with Manny Legacy in net

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Bryan Trottier. All-time favorite. Forgive me, I grew up on Long Island, NYI fandom was in my blood.

Peter Forsberg
Bergeron
Marchand
Vincent Lecavalier
If you'll allow the indulgence, here is a quick side story about Vinny.
He wasn't really a fighter, but one time he got into a pretty good scrap with Jeff Halpern... not exactly Stock vs Peat, but hey, a fight is a fight.
Anyway, my father was working for Tampa at the time, and Vinny handled Halpern pretty handily. Vinny came off the ice pretty psyched up from the adrenaline, and my father says to him, "You gave him so many lefts he was begging for a right!." My dad says Vinny loved it, and was like, "Yeah!!!" I loved that little story.

Pat Lafontaine... with another short story. My father told him he was going to score in the 4th overtime during the "Easter Epic" in 1987.

Reactions: BMC

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
For some reason, I always like Reijo Ruotsalainen and Bengt Gustafsson. Cool names to a kid I think.

Pelle Lindbergh
Jagr
Clark Gillies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad