RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I think his size, defensive commitment and attitude were bigger red flag then his contract.
That's not what I remember last season. Most were saying he would be #2 without the contract and Russian factor.

I didn't realize Flyers fans felt such intense self-loathing.
I couldn't be more excited for Michkov. He's going to change the franchise.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Flyers are cognizant around the marketing and excitement that Michkov holds for the future of the franchise.

Maybe Michkov finds himself with limited minutes for game or scratched eventually at some point next season, but I don't think we'll see any sort of prolonged scratching like we did with Frost. Even Tortorella will know that he's playing with fire if he dare mess with the franchise's prodigal son, and I suspect that Briere, Jones, and even Hilferty will be close by to remind him so.
Did you already forget about Johansen and Dubois? 3rd and 4th overall pick. Tortorella doesn't give a rats ass. He asks for the same from every player regardless of standing or draft position. The front office is gonna force Tortorella to put Michkov on the roster but the front office is not gonna dictate the lineup.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Did you already forget about Johansen and Dubois? 3rd and 4th overall pick. Tortorella doesn't give a rats ass. He asks for the same from every player regardless of standing or draft position. The front office is gonna force Tortorella to put Michkov on the roster but the front office is not gonna dictate the lineup.

Uh, what? If the front office is okay forcing Tortorella to put Michkov in the lineup, they're not going to draw the line at dictating the lineup

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
You're comparing Frost to Michkov. I'll leave you to reflect on your own failure.
I gave multiple examples... youre choosing to only focus on Frost.

Couturier is a Selke winner, longest tenured Flyer, newly named captain, playing through injury, and by all accounts been nothing but a true pro since he was 18. If Torts can scratch that guy I dont see how you can be so sure MM is untouchable.

Hey I hope I am wrong...but nothing about Torts or the way the Flyers run things gives me confidence that I am.

Reactions: majormajor

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I think I've said this before but I see a very perceivable difference between Michkov's DY explosiveness and his D+1 explosiveness. Due to persistent pneumonia, in his D+1 he relied mainly on IQ and still significantly outdid himself.

If he can return to form and marry the two versions of himself, he could put up 70 pts this season for sure

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think I've said this before but I see a very perceivable difference between Michkov's DY explosiveness and his D+1 explosiveness. Due to persistent pneumonia, in his D+1 he relied mainly on IQ and still significantly outdid himself.

If he can return to form and marry the two versions of himself, he could put up 70 pts this season for sure
Torts is going to play Michkov a lot of minutes. Torts plays his stars big minutes. And Michkov is a superstar. 70+ points (barring injury) is a certainty.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Just my opinion but his explosiveness last Fall, at the start of the season, was higher than at any point in his draft year. His lack of explosiveness is an issue, or at least was in his draft year and most of D+1 (maybe because of pneumonia).

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Torts is going to play Michkov a lot of minutes. Torts plays his stars big minutes. And Michkov is a superstar. 70+ points (barring injury) is a certainty.

I think a lot of people (rightfully so) didn't stay up and watch Michkov play in Sochi, if they did they'd realize this is not a normal 19 year old who will turn 20 coming to the NHL, he's that dude. I'd be utterly shocked if he doesn't hit 60-70, it's not like he played against kids last year in juniors, he just played against Russian pro men, and he excelled, one of the greatest 18/19 year old seasons ever in Russia.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think a lot of people (rightfully so) didn't stay up and watch Michkov play in Sochi, if they did they'd realize this is not a normal 19 year old who will turn 20 coming to the NHL, he's that dude. I'd be utterly shocked if he doesn't hit 70, it's not like he played against kids last year in juniors, he just played against Russian pro men, and he excelled, one of the greatest 18/19 year old seasons ever in Russia.

Actually greatest. It's one of the greatest U20 seasons...

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Actually greatest. It's one of the greatest U20 seasons...
A lot of people will be suprised how close this man is to Bedard, he's closer to Bedard than he is to anyone who was drafted before him. I fully expect Bedard to put up 90+ next year with his year of seasoning behind him, will be a fun next 10 + years hopefully of them going head to head. Great for hockey in general to have young guys like this come into the league in the same draft.

Last edited:

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
That board is insane.

Nah man, it's raw and real. No fluffing or ball-washing and that's why it's so good.

The authentics don't like HFFlyers because we buck the Tortorella propaganda slobfest they themselves grovel over. It's really amazing how Comcast pulled the wool over so many people's eyes.

Reddit and Twitter read far worse to me, personally. In the very least, it is refreshing the HFFlyers subforum members will critique the organization.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Nah man, it's raw and real. No fluffing or ball-washing and that's why it's so good.

The authentics don't like HFFlyers because we buck the Tortorella propaganda slobfest they themselves grovel over. It's really amazing how Comcast pulled the wool over so many people's eyes.

Reddit and Twitter read far worse to me, personally. In the very least, it is refreshing the HFFlyers subforum members will critique the organization.
It's an echochamber with aggressive appeals to authority of a couple posters. Any opposing (ie positive) thoughts are derided.

Last offseason I stated Tippett was the flyers second best forward behind TK and got ripped to shreds by the cult-like Frost truthers.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Funny how the dichotomy here is either you’re an enlightened critic of the organization or a ballwashing Tortorella slobberer who’s been brainwashed by Comcast and Keith Jones.

That second group obviously exists, but the arrogance of the “we know better than the unwashed masses” crowd is really just the other side of that same coin. You can tell by the pejorative use of “authentics”. I’ve never seen a subset of a fan base hate its own fans so much.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Funny how the dichotomy here is either you’re an enlightened critic of the organization or a ballwashing Tortorella slobberer who’s been brainwashed by Comcast and Keith Jones.

That second group obviously exists, but the arrogance of the “we know better than the unwashed masses” crowd is really just the other side of that same coin. You can tell by the pejorative use of “authentics”. I’ve never seen a subset of a fan base hate its own fans so much.

It stems from hatred of the team, which I think is completely justified. I've been a Philadelphia Flyers fan all my life and I will never hate anything in sports more than I hate the Philadelphia Flyers. It isn't a pattern of noble failure, it's decades of stupidity married to an obnoxious marketing mechanism that constantly chalks those predictable failures up to bad luck or unforeseen circumstance, if it can't find anyone internally to throw under the bus/to the wolves.

They wrote the book on this stuff: Ed Snider was literally the guy who invented regional sports networks and helped popularize local sports talk radio. He created a pro sports team, then controlled all its own coverage, and then merged that operation with an absolutely loathsome media and cable conglomerate. So they just keep selling fans false hope and a victim complex while doing things like nearly getting their last generational superstar killed, or irrationally throwing away a future HOF goalie so they can give Ilya Bryzgalov $50m. Decades and decades of utter idiocy messaged as "dang, we must be cursed!" Yeah, people are gonna mock those who still shovel cash into season tickets or tow the company "curse" line year after year.

Conditioning their leadership hires on John Tortorella keeping his job led to them having no external candidate pool, so they ended up appointing their color commentator as PoHO and ex-player management minion as GM. A lot of us see that as a continuation of the bullshit, not a new leaf overturned.

Last edited:
Reactions: enthuuusiast

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Flyers are so tainted at this point that I - a lifetime Flyers fan - am unhappy Michkov is coming to join our organization early.

I want Tortorella fired and another year into the rebuild/retool (whatever it is) completed before we ruin Matvei somehow...because Tortorella WILL do his best to jerk this guy around. It's what he's always done and he will continue to do as long as Briere/Jonesy let him.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The Flyers are so tainted at this point that I - a lifetime Flyers fan - am unhappy Michkov is coming to join our organization early.

I want Tortorella fired and another year into the rebuild/retool (whatever it is) completed before we ruin Matvei somehow...because Tortorella WILL do his best to jerk this guy around. It's what he's always done and he will continue to do as long as Briere/Jonesy let him.
The guys Torts has run off from teams are guys that are legitimate cancers on the team.

PLD, Johanson, TDA, Hayes, Provorov, etc etc etc

Reactions: Redpath

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It stems from hatred of the team, which I think is completely justified. I've been a Philadelphia Flyers fan all my life and I will never hate anything in sports more than I hate the Philadelphia Flyers. It isn't a pattern of noble failure, it's decades of stupidity married to an obnoxious marketing mechanism that constantly chalks those predictable failures up to bad luck or unforeseen circumstance, if it can't find anyone internally to throw under the bus/to the wolves.

They wrote the book on this stuff: Ed Snider was literally the guy who invented regional sports networks and helped popularize local sports talk radio. He created a pro sports team, then controlled all its own coverage, and then merged that operation with an absolutely loathsome media and cable conglomerate. So they just keep selling fans false hope and a victim complex while doing things like nearly getting their last generational superstar killed, or irrationally throwing away a future HOF goalie so they can give Ilya Bryzgalov $50m. Decades and decades of utter idiocy messaged as "dang, we must be cursed!" Yeah, people are gonna mock those who still shovel cash into season tickets or tow the company "curse" line year after year.

Conditioning their leadership hires on John Tortorella keeping his job led to them having no external candidate pool, so they ended up appointing their color commentator as PoHO and ex-player management minion as GM. A lot of us see that as a continuation of the bullshit, not a new leaf overturned.
It’s not a mystery where it comes from. Every Flyers fan has experienced the exact same futility you have. It’s just that the self-hating arrogance is every bit as obnoxious as the contingent who adores Tortorella and rationalizes every decision the org makes. Lording your enlightened despair over people who dare to say “maybe Briere actually has made some decent moves so far” is the part that irks. Nobody is forcing you to remain a Flyers fan. Ridiculing fans for being… fans… is just a whacko inversion of the point of being invested in a team at all. You’re not actually the enlightened one you think you are. It’s a personality disorder at this point.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So any coach that has coached for multiple teams is a bad coach?

Man, that's a long list. Not many good coaches, then.

Funny, that sure doesn't look like what I said. Let me go back and check. *squints*

You'll have to give me a second, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and it used to be pretty bad.

Nope, don't see anything about that there. Never said it's impossible for a good coach to leave a team. Hell, I didn't even say Torts was a bad coach.

What I did say was that Torts ran his own ass off from teams, because his schtick got tired and the players (and management) had enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad