Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I knew this would be somebody's counterpoint....the point is, these guys have played in the league, and not just in Detroit. They should be able to have more consistent efforts, they know what it takes. Crzarnik looked ok in Detroit, Vrana was good once upon a time, Hirose was good once upon a time, Erne had some competent stretches, Soderblom looked good...players of their caliber should be doing better than what theyve shown in GR, IMO.
So what's the logical next step then?

The coaching is a shit show.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Fire Simon. GR should be winning enviroment all the time.

Why aren't the beat writers all over this subject? I would image that is easier to get information from the Griffins organization than from the Red Wings org.
Because the beat writers locally here are too inexperienced, not that bright, and they are scared to ask those kinds of questions. One or two of them, I think, are intimidated by Simon. You notice lately that when the Griffins get wiped out at home, no post-game press conferences. Simon does not want to face the music and the local media gives him a pass on it.

Tonight's game shows that the players are not buying in for what this coaching staff is preaching. In the third period, it looked to me that Simon played his top line and his 4th line only. I did not see Vrana, Spezia, Chiasson play much if at all in the 3rd period. Their 5 on 5 play is horrible. Spend way too much time in their own zone. A sold out crowd and the game was shown on local TV, and this what they show for it. Need to get rid of or move 2 vets from this team to eliminate this "got to sit 2 vets out every game." It has been a problem since this group has taken over the coaching duties. Do not know if the Red Wings have a say in this and the Griffins are following what they say or what. It was not pretty to watch inside the arena tonight.

If the Griffins do not make the playoffs this season, this entire coaching staff is history. I do not think that even Yzerman, will tolerate this consistent "not making the playoffs each season" motion that we are going through right now. I think Simon knows this, even if the Wings say good things about him, it will not save his job. Will see.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because the beat writers locally here are too inexperienced, not that bright, and they are scared to ask those kinds of questions. One or two of them, I think, are intimidated by Simon. You notice lately that when the Griffins get wiped out at home, no post-game press conferences. Simon does not want to face the music and the local media gives him a pass on it.

Tonight's game shows that the players are not buying in for what this coaching staff is preaching. In the third period, it looked to me that Simon played his top line and his 4th line only. I did not see Vrana, Spezia, Chiasson play much if at all in the 3rd period. Their 5 on 5 play is horrible. Spend way too much time in their own zone. A sold out crowd and the game was shown on local TV, and this what they show for it. Need to get rid of or move 2 vets from this team to eliminate this "got to sit 2 vets out every game." It has been a problem since this group has taken over the coaching duties. Do not know if the Red Wings have a say in this and the Griffins are following what they say or what. It was not pretty to watch inside the arena tonight.

If the Griffins do not make the playoffs this season, this entire coaching staff is history. I do not think that even Yzerman, will tolerate this consistent "not making the playoffs each season" motion that we are going through right now. I think Simon knows this, even if the Wings say good things about him, it will not save his job. Will see.

You realize that if local beat writers ask the "tough" questions, that they are then no longer getting any inside info as the team and its management won't deal with them. Asking tough questions may gain them some new readers and respect, but they lose their connections with the club which is their bread and butter.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You realize that if local beat writers ask the "tough" questions, that they are then no longer getting any inside info as the team and its management won't deal with them. Asking tough questions may gain them some new readers and respect, but they lose their connections with the club which is their bread and butter.
If you listen to Simon on the post game conference on Friday night, a local reporter asked about Hanas being out for the rest of the season and Simon was shocked that he knew about that and he was not happy that he found out about it. Then he was forced to answer his question. It was great to see and hear that. Otherwise Simon would have said that Hanas was either "day to day, or week to week" and you would hear that until the end of the season.

The team do not give out any information to them in the first place. The only way that you get information from the team is by asking the players directly. I know firsthand on that. Simon does not give out any info at all. The previous coaches here were more upfront and did not hide info like Simon does. I received a nasty email from Simon himself over a month ago for asking a simple question to one of his assistant coaches. Why the Griffins have all the coaches emails listed on their website for, decoration purposes?

Reactions: Holden Caufield

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If you listen to Simon on the post game conference on Friday night, a local reporter asked about Hanas being out for the rest of the season and Simon was shocked that he knew about that and he was not happy that he found out about it. Then he was forced to answer his question. It was great to see and hear that. Otherwise Simon would have said that Hanas was either "day to day, or week to week" and you would hear that until the end of the season.

The team do not give out any information to them in the first place. The only way that you get information from the team is by asking the players directly. I know firsthand on that. Simon does not give out any info at all. The previous coaches here were more upfront and did not hide info like Simon does. I received a nasty email from Simon himself over a month ago for asking a simple question to one of his assistant coaches. Why the Griffins have all the coaches emails listed on their website for, decoration purposes?
Jeez. What's the reason for keeping something like a player being out for the year hidden?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Ticket sales.
Folks that aren’t season ticket holders don’t even know or care who Cross Hanas is. Like for the most part the arena is 60-70% full with bigger crowds on some theme nights. Like last night was princess night and you had a ton of families there. None of them were buying tickets or not based on the injury report.

Simon didn’t want to share the info because he’s a dick. He knows well enough that his days are numbered and he’s just mad about it. Controlling what info comes out is about the only control he has left over this team since they aren’t responding to him on ice. So I’m not surprised he was upset about someone mentioning the true status of Hanas.

Reactions: SoupNazi

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Edvinsson with a big night last night. Think that brings him to 9 pts in his last 10...with 4 of course occurring last night. Is anyone actually watching the games? Wondering if he's more dominant and carrying the load or is this more of a case of the team in general is scoring more due to the influx in talent (Soderblom, Erne...Vrana until now).

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Edvinsson with a big night last night. Think that brings him to 9 pts in his last 10...with 4 of course occurring last night. Is anyone actually watching the games? Wondering if he's more dominant and carrying the load or is this more of a case of the team in general is scoring more due to the influx in talent (Soderblom, Erne...Vrana until now).

He’s been that good. Absolutely eating up minutes in GR right now

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think this was the lineup.

Hirose - Czarnik - Luff
Elmer - O'Regan - L'esperance
Erne - Shine - Chiasson
Spezia - Pearson - Andreasson

Edvinsson - Johansson
Sebrango - Newpower
McIsaac - Lashoff

Nedeljkovic
(Brattström)

Reactions: Holden Caufield

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Think this was the lineup.

Hirose - Czarnik - Luff
Elmer - O'Regan - L'esperance
Erne - Shine - Chiasson
Spezia - Pearson - Andreasson

Edvinsson - Johansson
Sebrango - Newpower
McIsaac - Lashoff

Nedeljkovic
(Brattström)
I believe both Edvinsson and AJ LD.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't believe. They play together and then Johansson is on right side like he was in Sweden. Also has found his better game when switched off from left.
Nice , our 2 best d prospects on the same line

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Interesting Signing for GR

23 years old... Had 20 Goals 49 Points in 27 Games for Mount Royal University in Canada.

Teammate of Rasmussen's in Tri-City in '16-17 and '17-18, and teammate of Cossa's in Edmonton in '19-20. Funny, he probably won't be playing with either one in the Detroit system this season.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Drove in for a game the other week (vs. Manitoba, Disney Princess night (didn’t know that when I bought the tix)) and man I don’t know that I go back. I’m a bigger guy (6’3”, 250) and those upper bowl seats were some of the most uncomfortable seating I’ve ever experienced at any venue. Literally had to sit sideways with my arm around my daughter, with zero leg room. Then to cap it off, dropped $50 usd on a couple 20oz Pepsis, a popcorn and two of those dots ice cream deals only to have the concession booth try to pimp me for a tip! Maybe old man shouting at cloud but holy shit…

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Call me stupid but I wasn’t expecting the AHL to be such a wallet crusher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad