Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Isn’t that 2 shut outs in a row by him against us? Absolute lols.

Simon…not sure how he’s still employed in this organisation.
Last night's game was a sure sign that the players are tuning out Simon and the coaching staff. The first period they gave an effort, but the 2nd period on, you can tell the team was "on the ice" and that is about it. Simon was very frustrated in his post game comments and even said "shit" live. One reporter keeps after him about why Vrana is continuing to be a healthy scratch this week and you can tell he was annoyed with the question. They host Chicago tonight and then go to Iowa on Monday afternoon and to Rockford on Wednesday.

Too many "high school hockey" mistakes were made last night and if you look at the goals that Iowa scored, you can judge for yourself. If the Griffins do not win tonight vs Chicago, there might be some changes that should and need to be done. Will it happen, will see. The fans here in GR are not very happy what is going on the ice in front of us at the moment. This 6 game homestand was suppose to be this "big turn around" for the team to move up in the standings, but this week shows that it is not the case.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don’t know why they’ve put up with Simon for as long as they have. You can only get away with hiding your prospects in the NCAA and Europe for so long. Eventually they have to make GR the place where these picks develop. And step one is getting a competent coaching staff in here.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The winged wheel podcast mentioned on one of their more recent shows that the most successful teams in the NHL in recent years have had really successful farm teams in the AHL.

I think it would be interesting to look at the records of the AHL teams belonging to the 4 or 6 best NHL teams from each of the last 5 seasons. I’d bet dollars to donuts that those AHL teams have better records than Grand Rapids.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The winged wheel podcast mentioned on one of their more recent shows that the most successful teams in the NHL in recent years have had really successful farm teams in the AHL.

I think it would be interesting to look at the records of the AHL teams belonging to the 4 or 6 best NHL teams from each of the last 5 seasons. I’d bet dollars to donuts that those AHL teams have better records than Grand Rapids.

Thing is though, good teams have better players and more depth, which means rookies/prospects generally spend longer trying to make the big club, resulting in better AHL teams. No different than when we had Nyquist and Tatar and similar types in GR when we were still good. Crappy teams need the young kids up in the NHL quicker which means lower grade AHL teams for the most part it seems to me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Thing is though, good teams have better players and more depth, which means rookies/prospects generally spend longer trying to make the big club, resulting in better AHL teams. No different than when we had Nyquist and Tatar and similar types in GR when we were still good. Crappy teams need the young kids up in the NHL quicker which means lower grade AHL teams for the most part it seems to me.
I was just about to say the same thing.
Success of the AHL club does not indicate much for the future of the NHL team imo. The Griffins are a great example. They won a title in 2017, but the Wings future is still brighter now than it was then.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
The crisco trade is notable. A guy who seemed well liked in the organization and was a good scorer and 2way guy in grand rapids gets traded for a guy who has 6 points this year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The crisco trade is notable. A guy who seemed well liked in the organization and was a good scorer and 2way guy in grand rapids gets traded for a guy who has 6 points this year.

Think it has something to do with moving a vet for a guy who can play everynight. The Griffins are over the vet limit and were having to scratch guys, so that likely plays into this.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins win 5-2 in Rockford. Czarnik gets en/sh goal late in the 3rd to seal the game. Ned makes 35 saves for the victory. Back home Saturday as Springfield visits GR for the very first time.

Reactions: raymond23

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Think it has something to do with moving a vet for a guy who can play everynight. The Griffins are over the vet limit and were having to scratch guys, so that likely plays into this.

This is what I figured as well. They had been sitting two vets every game since Vrana got sent down and once Luff gets healthy and sent back down and Zadina offsets someone, that number was just going to go up.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Thank you! At least someone here sees the obvious before crying that the sky is falling.

Now Vrana and Ned can play more.

Reactions: Oddbob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad