Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't understand the uproar at all. If Goodrow was worried about this being a possibility, him and his agent should have pushed for a full NMC in his contract. There was not one so he was eligible to be waived which he was. That's all there is to this.
Full NMC's should not exist. It's basically a safety net for a player absolutely NOT living up to his contract. Teams should be allowed to waive a player no matter what. It's not taking away his salary. Full NTC? Sure. The player is protecting himself from being traded from where he chose to sign. And a team might WANT to trade a player who is outperforming his contract because they can use that value to acquire other things a team might need. No one is going to waive a player who has REAL value to them, an NTC protects a player just fine.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Full NMC's should not exist. It's basically a safety net for a player absolutely NOT living up to his contract. Teams should be allowed to waive a player no matter what. It's not taking away his salary. Full NTC? Sure. The player is protecting himself from being traded from where he chose to sign. And a team might WANT to trade a player who is outperforming his contract because they can use that value to acquire other things a team might need. No one is going to waive a player who has REAL value to them, an NTC protects a player just fine.

I could see scenarios where a player is performing well but maybe a guy is getting old/too many years left on contract/etc where a team would waive him anyway for flexibility. I don't have an issue with NMC being a thing, to me it's more on the teams not to hand them out. And in this case, there wasn't one (hell for the contract Goodrow got there shouldn't have even been any sort of a NTC) and he was waived just like his contract allowed him to.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I could see scenarios where a player is performing well but maybe a guy is getting old/too many years left on contract/etc where a team would waive him anyway for flexibility. I don't have an issue with NMC being a thing, to me it's more on the teams not to hand them out. And in this case, there wasn't one (hell for the contract Goodrow got there shouldn't have even been any sort of a NTC) and he was waived just like his contract allowed him to.
If a team is allowed to waive a player at any time, the number of years wouldn't matter. It doesn't make sense to be preemptive. No team is going to "give away" a player who is helping them more than his cap hit is hurting them. Especially not using the reason of future decline in relation to cap, since they can waive him any time.
In a no cap world? Sure NMC is fine. But in a strict cap league they should not exist.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Quite frankly I'm not concerned about how Goodrow feels. He never should have had that contract in the first place. He was terrible outside of a 2 game shooting bender against Florida. And he was part of a team that got plastered in the conference finals 2 out of the last 3 years, they needed his cap space.

I hope Drury continues to be this aggressive and ruthless.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
This Goodrow bellyaching by the media is incomprehensibly dumb. How many players without NTC's get traded to clubs every single season(some maybe in the past day) to locaitons they wouldnt have preferred? This is the exact same thing. What the hell are they even talking about
where is the bellyaching? i need to hear this for myself

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
where is the bellyaching? i need to hear this for myself
Just go back a couple pages. the TLDR is that Goody didnt waive his NTC to SJ. Rangers are being called "Ruthless" for waiving him to be claimed anyway. Goody didnt have full NMC protection in his contract. There is nothing legally or morally ambiguous here. This is a standard roster move which the Rangers had every right to make.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If a team is allowed to waive a player at any time, the number of years wouldn't matter. It doesn't make sense to be preemptive. No team is going to "give away" a player who is helping them more than his cap hit is hurting them. Especially not using the reason of future decline in relation to cap, since they can waive him any time.
In a no cap world? Sure NMC is fine. But in a strict cap league they should not exist.
It's not something the players will give up easily. They'd want something significant back in return.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Just go back a couple pages. the TLDR is that Goody didnt waive his NTC to SJ. Rangers are being called "Ruthless" for waiving him to be claimed anyway. Goody didnt have full NMC protection in his contract. There is nothing legally or morally ambiguous here. This is a standard roster move which the Rangers had every right to make.
i thought you meant the media was continuing to discuss it

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Between Trouba discussing in depth on breakup day a leg injury that "wasnt effecting him" in the playoffs, and Goodrow being annoyed about moving on, I dont like what Im hearing out of the leadership group. Sounds like excuse making and expecting a pat on the back for failing to complete the stated goal.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean Goodrow can rightfully be upset with the way this went down. But the Rangers also rightfully did what was in their best interest, and they did so abiding all the rules. I'm not really worried about what he thinks. Vegas has treated a lot of their players in a shitty way. Everyone still wants to go there. And the majority of the players still want to come to New York. If this was a team like Winnipeg or Columbus pulling this stuff, it might be an actual story.

I think when you look at how that Goodrow contract was constructed, they (he and his agent) had to know a buyout was a possibility at the tail end of the deal. And I think Goodrow was actually hoping for it, should he not be able to play it out with us. He has around 11.25mil remaining on the rest of his contract in salary and signing bonus. If he was bought out now, he would be making around 8mil with the buyout money. I'm pretty sure he could make up that difference in the next 3 years by signing for basically anyone, I think the vast majority of the league would be interested in bringing him in on a league minimum or 1ish million deal. So obviously he's pissed, he would've been able to pick a destination and still make pretty much the same amount. Hell, he could've even gotten a raise, if some team would've offered him 2x2 or something. Instead he goes to the shittiest team in the league. Well, at least he's familiar with the organization and there are worse places in the world than the Bay area.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It's not something the players will give up easily. They'd want something significant back in return.
I understand that. They have a safety net for shitting the bed and not being worth their contract, why would they want to give it up?
I'm just saying they should have never had it.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Cant believe someone claimed him, he can be as upset as he wants. Now someone do something about Trouba.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
People are reading way too much into the word "upset"

I didn't think we'd be discussing him being "upset" for more than 6 hours. Any player who learns they are getting put on waivers, no matter their level of experience and accomplishment is going to be like "F***"
This is like your gf dumped you and you say "F***" and the entire internet is like "let's dissect this! He seems upset. How unprofessional" Yes, of course Goodrow is upset as any player would be in that situation. As any human would be in that situation. It's not like he threw a public hissy fit and trashed his apartment or got arrested for a DWI in response to the news.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I didn't think we'd be discussing him being "upset" for more than 6 hours. Any player who learns they are getting put on waivers, no matter their level of experience and accomplishment is going to be like "F***"
This is like your gf dumped you and you say "F***" and the entire internet is like "let's dissect this! He seems upset. How unprofessional" Yes, of course Goodrow is upset as any player would be in that situation. As any human would be in that situation. It's not like he threw a public hissy fit and trashed his apartment or got arrested for a DWI in response to the news.
From what I gathered from EF radio hit on the Jeff Marek show, it was that apparently they didn't really work with Goodrow on this. Not sure if he was even asked to waive, they just straight up put him on waivers knowing San Jose would pick him up.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Meh. The #1 NHL podcast brought it up. Brooksie too. None of the fans cared but its a bad look that it got out. Blame the agent looking to play the sympathy card. Goodrow could easily be looking for a job right now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Meh. The #1 NHL podcast brought it up. Brooksie too. None of the fans cared but its a bad look that it got out. Blame the agent looking to play the sympathy card. Goodrow could easily be looking for a job right now.
Nah, next week. Buyout window opens 48 hours after the cup is awarded.

And like I said in a post above, Goodrow probably would've preferred that. Going to San Jose with his current contract, or signing with Tampa for like 1 million? Obviously the latter, because combining that 1mil with the buyout money means that he would be making pretty much the same as he does now.

He's just pissed that we didn't give him the same treatment Tampa gave to McDonagh. As in "we need to clear your capspace, and we will do this by waiving your ass if necessary. But we can give you options to pick from if you waive your NMC". Goodrow probably would've prefered that the Rangers at least offered him and his agent to find a trade. Now, Drury could've still said f*** it if the other team would want an asset from the Rangers, when San Jose just took the deal for free.

In the end, doesn't matter. Rangers didn't break any rules, they did what was right for their team, if a player who is barely a 4th-liner at this point of his career is upset about it, tough shit.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Goodrow should've signed for less originally if he wanted to make sure he stayed here. his contract was a candidate for a buyout or a salary dump trade/waiver 3-4 years down the line the day it was signed. he's gonna go to a place with beautiful weather year round and get paid $3.5mil a year. he'll get over it. he could also be traded to a contender at the trade deadline.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad