Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Good for Drury, Brooks said Goodrow was pissed at the move, and had the Sharks on his No trade list.

Trying to win a cup here, you have Drury to thank for paying you over 20 million Barclay, get outta here.

Reactions: mas0764

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I have mixed feelings about this. In a vacuum Goodrow is a good player in his role. He performs in the playoffs. Good teammate. Not one of the lazy ones. But his cap hit was too high for a 4th line player. And there wasn't many other options to clear cap space that easily.

It is a tough move because he did play well throughout the playoffs and got better the deeper the Rangers got. So it's a mixed message.

But again, the cap hit. It's strictly financial.

The hope is now Drury makes the smart moves with the additional cap space.

We absolutely need a bonafied high-end scorer in the top 6 on Kreider-Zibanejad's wing. Does Goodrow's cleared cap hit give Drury enough wiggle room?
It’s a business decision and has nothing to do with whether he’s a good hockey player.

We all anticipated a buyout but this is better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Good for Drury, Brooks said Goodrow was pissed at the move, and had the Sharks on his No trade list.

Trying to win a cup here, you have Drury to thank for paying you over 20 million Barclay, get outta here.

Totally understand why he’s pissed.

Hopefully drury can make some other moves that won’t be popular in the room but good for the team.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I suppose some kind of "considerations" deal could occur where Rangers agree to send player or draft pick at a later date.
First, thank god it’s over arguing about that Goodrow has value around the league so buyout wouldn’t be necessary (Drury did it even without my conservative assumption that $0.6-$0.8 had to be retained).

Second, I’m not sure that Drury will “owe” anything to Grier in terms of futures and not the orher way around. SJS obviously needed Goodrow and they made this deal absolutely without regard to helping NYR as a motivation.

The Rangers can't give anything to San Jose. It would constitute a trade.

If there was a small "favor" it would be the next team the teams or GM's had a legitimate reason to interact.

Also, wouldn't it be going the other way? The Sharks got an asset and we didn't.

Like, ok, Goodrow is bad but SJ obviously wanted him. They claimed him. We're the team that literally didn't get anything.

They owe a favor to us if there is one.

Personally, I don't think there is. The Sharks got an asset and we got space. That's the deal.
This.

Reactions: Machinehead

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

This is why players have NMC, and this is also why I hate them. Glad we got his cap off the books without a buyout.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
As great as his playoff run was, this had to be done. He's likely never to repeat that again anyway. The dollar amount wasn't even that bad, it was mostly the term that bothered me - not that 3.6M per for Goodrow is a nice deal. Should have been 3 yrs @ like 2.5M but he got his bag so good for him.

Needed to shed some $$$ somehow. I'll miss him, but not his contract. Nothing but respect for Goodrow.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I think it's bullshit that goodrow is "pissed". He is probably upset that he is leaving a good team with people he liked, but he was likely aware this would happen and doing it this way is better for him. By not waiving his no trade clause, the sharks have to honor it so they can't flip him to any other team on that list.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
And I’m sorry, but NMCs are against the best interest of what’s good for the sport and the fans anyway. It’s not a players vs owners thing. It’s about us.

We as fans deserve a team that isn’t saddled with unmoveable players anyway. If the players get their money, which Goodrow will, the ability for a player to veto a move is bad for the game IMO.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think it's bullshit that goodrow is "pissed". He is probably upset that he is leaving a good team with people he liked, but he was likely aware this would happen and doing it this way is better for him. By not waiving his no trade clause, the sharks have to honor it so they can't flip him to any other team on that list.
I imagine that upon transfer, he is allowed to revise his NT list. It'd be silly if he was forced to keep SJ on that list. But yes, SJ needs to honor the M-NTC

Reactions: MrAlmost

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kinda shitty how Drury did this to maneuver around his NMC, but that’s the business I guess. Feel for him, he played his heart out for us in the playoffs. I also don’t think it was such a one off as some do, he’s always been known to be a pretty clutch player. But I think this is a win/win transaction for both teams

• Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think the bigger question that Drury is wrestling with is how to pay Igor, Lafreniere and Miller in 2025. First order of business is getting some of these contracts signed and in place this summer. The I expect Drury will be looking at some acquisitions that are one year commitments. This can be UFAs but more likely will be players on the last year of contracts. Some high risk players like Theodore and Chychrun fall into this group as well as older players like Tavares and Palmieri. The Rangers will be looking for players that teams want to move and retain some of their salary. This would allow the Rangers to load up for one last run before have to transition significant parts of the roster.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kinda shitty how Drury did this to maneuver around his NMC, but that’s the business I guess. Feel for him, he played his heart out for us in the playoffs. I also don’t think it was such a one off as some do, he’s always been known to be a pretty clutch player. But I think this is a win/win transaction for both teams

NTC not NMC. If he had a NMC he would still be here.

He had the option to accept the trade. He didn't so an avenue was visited to push the transaction through. This isn't the first time this has happened to a player without a no movement clause and it won't be the last.

On the list of things that are kind of shitty to do, this is pretty far down the list. Totally understand Goodrow's displeasure with it but hey, he signed the contract.

I won't argue against the fact that he played hard. I think all the guys play hard, at least most of the time but he was capital A awful this year. He barely played, scored 6 goals and still managed to get outscored when he was on the ice during the playoffs. That is quite the feat.

Good guy and teammate? Yeah 100%. Good player for his role? Not even a little bit. At his salary? Even less so. I have very little doubt that Edstrom can step into his role and provide a better output immediately at nearly a fourth of the price.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I think the bigger question that Drury is wrestling with is how to pay Igor, Lafreniere and Miller in 2025. First order of business is getting some of these contracts signed and in place this summer. The I expect Drury will be looking at some acquisitions that are one year commitments. This can be UFAs but more likely will be players on the last year of contracts. Some high risk players like Theodore and Chychrun fall into this group as well as older players like Tavares and Palmieri. The Rangers will be looking for players that teams want to move and retain some of their salary. This would allow the Rangers to load up for one last run before have to transition significant parts of the roster.
Lot's of water to flow under lots of bridges before then, but I am starting to wonder whether Panarin will be on that 25-26 team depending on how next season goes. Does another playoffs of not quite getting it done mean that Drury looks to move him out as a full season rental to someone and use that cap space to start the 'next era'? Especially as he'll only be getting paid $1m in real money after his signing bonus is paid, I imagine that would make a lot of GMs interested and Panarin might be ok waiving his NMC if it's only for 1 year

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Why would San Jose want a guy who doesn't willingly want to be there? It makes no sense. They could have overpaid some veterans on the market to reach the cap floor if they wanted leadership for the young kids coming up in that org.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Lot's of water to flow under lots of bridges before then, but I am starting to wonder whether Panarin will be on that 25-26 team depending on how next season goes. Does another playoffs of not quite getting it done mean that Drury looks to move him out as a full season rental to someone and use that cap space to start the 'next era'? Especially as he'll only be getting paid $1m in real money after his signing bonus is paid, I imagine that would make a lot of GMs interested and Panarin might be ok waiving his NMC if it's only for 1 year
That a big part of the post 2025 transition I was referencing. Without a great playoff performance and result, 25-26 may be baker’s day off.

Reactions: mike14

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Why would San Jose want a guy who doesn't willingly want to be there? It makes no sense. They could have overpaid some veterans on the market to reach the cap floor if they wanted leadership for the young kids coming up in that org.
I'd guess there's quite a big gap between 'doesn't actively want to participate in being sent there' and 'won't be giving 100% while wearing the uniform. And maybe he thinks Goodrow is easier to get and likely to add more than any of the UFAs who are willingly signing with an expected cellar-dweller.
Grier has 'his guy', now he can focus on other things

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
If Goodrow had been in Drury’s shoes he’d have done the same.

Reactions: MrAlmost

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Drury isn't the players friend. He is in charge of putting the best team that he can on the ice and managing the cap. I can understand why Goodrow was pissed because SJ was on his no trade list but too bad. It's a business and that 3.6 million will help a lot. He played hard and I wish him well but he wasn't very good this year and that was a very inefficient use of dollars vs production. Now find a way to trade either Lindgren or Trouba.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'm gonna wait and see if there's a payoff later to the sharks, wait until the draft before I commit to that $3 scratch off ticket.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
The "interesting" part is that the Sharks don't have a cap retention slot until 25-26, so they can't even really sell on Goodrow this upcoming season. Not that it concerns the Rangers at this point.
Could go with some conspiracy that Drury got help from a friend, but using Occam's razor, I'm inclined to believe that Mike Grier is simply not a good GM.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
No one talks about the fact that Goodrow was playing much of the season while trying to recover from an incident that left him with a broken jaw and major mouth reconstruction. He was drinking from a straw and still playing. That’s not to say he’s going to be a top-6 forward but if he is healthy and getting his ~15 minutes a game as well as 2nd PP and prime PK minutes I’m expecting to see him hover around 30-35 points. It’s not fantastic for the cap hit but in two years time, that percentage of the cap will be far less with the cap jumping up and his contract will be more agreeable to a contender looking to add a utility knife bottom-6 guy. I can see why Grier would make this claim.

In saying that, I’m still expecting something coming back to the Rangers. Even if it’s just a contract for an AHL guy to clear a contract slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad