Waived: Goodrow waived (claimed by San Jose Sharks)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't understand the uproar at all. If Goodrow was worried about this being a possibility, him and his agent should have pushed for a full NMC in his contract. There was not one so he was eligible to be waived which he was. That's all there is to this.
This. Did the Rangers not come to Goodrow to ask him to waive it to accommodate a trade like what happened to McD? If they did and he refused then he was warned and the only person he should be talking is his agent.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Full NMC's should not exist. It's basically a safety net for a player absolutely NOT living up to his contract. Teams should be allowed to waive a player no matter what. It's not taking away his salary. Full NTC? Sure. The player is protecting himself from being traded from where he chose to sign. And a team might WANT to trade a player who is outperforming his contract because they can use that value to acquire other things a team might need. No one is going to waive a player who has REAL value to them, an NTC protects a player just fine.

A full NMC also protects the player from being assigned to the AHL.
In the end I don't see the problem with NMCs existing. It's a negotiation, giving a NMC will save some money and cap space. If GMs hand out stupid contracts with full NMCs left and right, then that's their problem and not the responsibility of the players.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
This. Did the Rangers not come to Goodrow to ask him to waive it to accommodate a trade like what happened to McD? If they did and he refused then he was warned and the only person he should be talking is his agent.
I recall reading that Drury had a deal in place and that the Rangers did ask him to waive and he refused. Not sure where I saw/read/heard it (maybe here).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In the end I don't see the problem with NMCs existing. It's a negotiation, giving a NMC will save some money and cap space. If GMs hand out stupid contracts with full NMCs left and right, then that's their problem and not the responsibility of the players.
The problem is that basically every UFA has some form of protection nowadays, and it restricts player movement in a league where it's already hard with the hard cap. Makes for a less exciting sport.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The problem is that basically every UFA has some form of protection nowadays, and it restricts player movement in a league where it's already hard with the hard cap. Makes for a less exciting sport.
But again, no GM is forced to give that many NTCs/NMCs. They have to decide whether less flexibility is worth half a million in cap space or so.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
But again, no GM is forced to give that many NTCs/NMCs. They have to decide whether less flexibility is worth half a million in cap space or so.
NTCs and NMCs are parts of negotiation. Maybe the player doesn't want to sign at all if they get no protection from a team, or they demand a bigger salary.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The fact that a severely overpaid career 4th liner had any trade protection at all was a gift. Goodrow hit the lottery when he signed that deal. He can cry all the way to the bank.
I think Goodrow mostly earned his contract with us. He performed in the playoffs. He legitimately was shown to be a big locker room guy which was really important with the amount of guys who had never made playoff runs before.
We got out before it got worse.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
From what I gathered from EF radio hit on the Jeff Marek show, it was that apparently they didn't really work with Goodrow on this. Not sure if he was even asked to waive, they just straight up put him on waivers knowing San Jose would pick him up.
Yeah but when do GMs ever give players an actual heads up? The most you can expect from Drury is that he called Goodrow, thanked him for his service, and informed him he was on waivers and that the Sharks were going to pick him up - so he wouldn't have to learn it from the press and wait the 24 hours we did to discover his fate. Even that is not required.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I recall reading that Drury had a deal in place and that the Rangers did ask him to waive and he refused. Not sure where I saw/read/heard it (maybe here).
Someone just posted that EF on a podcast mentioned that Goodrow wasn't approached. If so maybe could've handled a little better to have Goodrow in the process, at least for the appearances. But in the big scheme this is nothing.

Last edited:

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Any social media message of thanks to the fans from Goodrow? Missed opportunity to get some brownie points back.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm totally against ntc to begin with, what's hilarious is that the guys that actually need them, the lower paid guys who can't afford to maybe move to big cities or whatever, can't ever get them. Guys making 3+ million should be happy they are getting paid so well to play in the best league on the planet, I dont care if it's Winnipeg or L.A. So for 3rd line(currently 4th) guy to get the team to throw a ntc in there is nutty to me. The players are way too sensitive now, contracts should be able to be moved any time, all of them, it's not like any of these guys actually takes a discount outside of Crosby.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Yes. It takes away accountability, whether by being claimed off of waivers or passing through, showing just how not worth your contract you are, and being assigned to the minors.
I’ll repeat: NMC’s are nothing but a safety net for poor performance. The player still gets paid, whether he’s claimed or passes. But the NMC allows you to just torpedo a team with your bad play. Shouldn’t exist. A player shouldn’t expect a team to keep them on the roster when underperforming so badly. Or force a team to keep them on the NHL roster. The player is protected financially without it. It’s just a shit clause in a hard cap league.

Reactions: OldBlueshirt

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
How would this tarnish his Pit legacy (as opposed to stay and fight for the playoff spot and not much more)? If anything coming to contender and lead it to winning another championship would enhance his legacy.
I meant it from a PIT perspective not a hockey perspective.

Where is the Crosby chatter coming from? Obviously would love him on the team but just wasnt sure where these rumors started
I saw he was a free agent I havent heard any actual rumors.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
why would they take him for nothing? I feel like they’d want a 2nd or something out of it.
1. The pa would have a field day if they did a trade agreement to violate a no trade clause via waiver claim. Also the contravt is not that bad. 3.6 for 3 years is an over pay, but he is still a useful player. Itd be insane to gove sway a 2nd for a contract that isnt even that bad. I wouldnt even be surprised if another team besides san jose put in a claim.

San jose cares nothing about him being overpaid. They are rebuilding but need some vets and have tons of cap space and actually need to reach the floor. Instead of throwing crazy contracts out to get players to come there, its better to just take slightly overpaid veterans who only take up a few years without hamstringing them for longer. If he keeps up his play they cpuld even trade him in his final year.

Reactions: clmetsfan

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Well he's going to try to sour the organization and persuade other players to not sign with us.

I feel like we'll pay for this. Just because that's how it goes

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Well he's going to try to sour the organization and persuade other players to not sign with us.

giphy.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I mean Goodrow can rightfully be upset with the way this went down. But the Rangers also rightfully did what was in their best interest, and they did so abiding all the rules. I'm not really worried about what he thinks. Vegas has treated a lot of their players in a shitty way. Everyone still wants to go there. And the majority of the players still want to come to New York. If this was a team like Winnipeg or Columbus pulling this stuff, it might be an actual story.

I think when you look at how that Goodrow contract was constructed, they (he and his agent) had to know a buyout was a possibility at the tail end of the deal. And I think Goodrow was actually hoping for it, should he not be able to play it out with us. He has around 11.25mil remaining on the rest of his contract in salary and signing bonus. If he was bought out now, he would be making around 8mil with the buyout money. I'm pretty sure he could make up that difference in the next 3 years by signing for basically anyone, I think the vast majority of the league would be interested in bringing him in on a league minimum or 1ish million deal. So obviously he's pissed, he would've been able to pick a destination and still make pretty much the same amount. Hell, he could've even gotten a raise, if some team would've offered him 2x2 or something. Instead he goes to the shittiest team in the league. Well, at least he's familiar with the organization and there are worse places in the world than the Bay area.

Yeah I have no problem with Goodrow being upset. To me there would be something wrong with him or his situation with the Rangers if he wasn't. He's going from one of the better teams to one of the worst. FWIW Brian Leetch (IMO the best Rangers player in my lifetime) was upset when the Rangers traded him to Toronto. He got no warning either. It's how things work sometimes and more prevalent in these days because of the cap. A team has to work within the constraints of how much it can spend and how to allocate cap limits to fill holes is part of it.

I suspect Goodrow will get over it. Though when the Rangers play the Sharks he's going to be extra motivated. Also that if he can continue to be a good bottom line player that another playoff bound team is going to pick him up down the road.

Also we should not blame a player (who for most of his career until he was moved to the Rangers played close to for the league minimum $'s but still had made himself a valuable member of two straight Stanley Cup winning teams) for finally signing the contract he did with the Rangers. He had worked hard to get to where he had and I doubt if anyone here were in his shoes they would have turned down the deal that the Rangers brass gave to him. Shouldn't blame a player for accepting an offer even when you think it's too much. If it turns out that player underperforms expectations it's still on the team but in Goodrow's case I don't think he underperformed. He pretty much played as expected. Even if he was overpaid it wasn't his fault for signing that deal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even further back in time Ratelle and Park were upset going to Boston as was Esposito coming to New York. It came as a surprise and a shock to all of the above and all of them were pissed and Rod Gilbert who had grown up with Ratelle when they were kids was upset too and he and Esposito never got along. Esposito for one thing wore #7 with Boston and Gilbert had been #7 for the Rangers for a long time. Not just his best friend being traded for Rod but there was contention over that number almost right away and Esposito would where #77 as a Rangers player.

And speaking of waived players also around the same time as the Park/Ratelle for Esposito/Vadnais deal Emile Francis waived Eddie Giacomin and he was claimed by Detroit. Giacomin was stunned and the very next game which happened to be against the Red Wings at MSG was an extremely emotional night. Shit happens even sometimes to some of your favorite players.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This will change nothing. Players will almost always do what is in their own best interests. Barclay Goodrow's opinion on how he was handled on his way out of here will have zero impact on that. He received a contract offer that was way more lucrative than he should have received from this organization, for that he should be thankful and I'm sure he is.

Reactions: TheWrongWay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad