Post-Game Talk: Gojira

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think this team has a culture issue. The rangers vets are baby shit soft.

Cuylle known as a gritty player, comes up here and turns into a country club guy.

Othmann, known as a total prick, comes up here and is acting like a puppy.

When your longest tenured players are guys like zib and kreider its just bound to happen. Those guys prefer to shake guys hands than put them through the glass. If its not done this year, drury needs to flip the roster and it starts with bringing in guys who care, who fight tooth and nail every night. This group is incredibly soft and has no compete in them outside of a select few like bread, laff and troch.

I miss the black and blue shirts. This team resembles a figure skating team more than a hockey team
Please stop with this bullshit. Cuylle has more hits than any rookie in the league and Othmann has played in 3 games and played very little the last 2.

Reactions: FUZfan

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think this team has a culture issue. The rangers vets are baby shit soft.

Cuylle known as a gritty player, comes up here and turns into a country club guy.

Othmann, known as a total prick, comes up here and is acting like a puppy.

When your longest tenured players are guys like zib and kreider its just bound to happen. Those guys prefer to shake guys hands than put them through the glass. If its not done this year, drury needs to flip the roster and it starts with bringing in guys who care, who fight tooth and nail every night. This group is incredibly soft and has no compete in them outside of a select few like bread, laff and troch.

I miss the black and blue shirts. This team resembles a figure skating team more than a hockey team

Your schtick is so old.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Please stop with this bullshit. Cuylle has more hits than any rookie in the league and Othmann has played in 3 games and played very little the last 2.
Idk if theres a stat for it but id bet were close to last, if not last for all teams in the nhl at going after loose pucks in the crease. Our guys dont want to offend the other team.

This team is going nowhere unless they add some grinders

Reactions: Kravtsov420

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Idk if theres a stat for it but id bet were close to last, if not last for all teams in the nhl at going after loose pucks in the crease. Our guys dont want to offend the other team.

No more grinders! Please good lord.

We need players that are committed to playing responsible hockey. Stop defaulting to east-west passes around the o-zone blue line, neutral zone, and d-zone unless you are Panarin or Fox.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lol at claming Cuylle is being a country club guy getting completely dunked on with facts and then moving the goalposts completely.

Its hilarious how when ever they have games like this "grit" is the issue. No, the fact that they turned the puck over 10923023092309 times and we have a coaching staff that wants to give bad veteran players an endless leash contributed to this.

They actually generated a good amount of offense.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

They have scored way more rebound goals and greasy goals than last year. The biggest issue with the team is defensive structure and significant injuries to important players. Bonino, Wheeler, Brodzinski, are replacement level players playing important minutes.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

We had an overwhelming majority of our chances on tip ins in front of Demko who was dialed in on those. Even Vally said we were making it easy on him because he's good on those. Your posts are absolute drivel.

Breaded Fox

ZacJones=Cup
Nov 8, 2010
NJ
The important thing is that we clearly wont need to worry about the Presidents' trophy curse.

What happened to the 1-3-1 we were rolling out and blocking everything with? One of the best games of the season vs. the kings last month we gave them very little.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Not to mention odog said a while ago that Kneis should model his game after Kreider and by a while ago I mean Friday. 3 days ago.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Mentally weak goalie will do that for you.

(Not all him, the defense folds easily too).
Yeah, Igor these last two seasons has been so prone to falling apart when he gives up a goal. The defense isn’t doing him any favors but your elite goalie is supposed to be able to bail them out sometimes. He had his great Vezina season and from the stories written and quotes from him make it seem like when he’s not playing that perfectly it clearly gets him down mentally and he loses focus.

I have really strong reservations about signing him to a long term high AAV deal with this level of inconsistency. I was okay giving Hank his huge deals because he was so damn consistent you could set your watch to his .920+ sv% in the regular season and you knew it would be even better in the playoffs. If Igor is going to be this streaky, can you really afford to pay him big bucks? At his current cap% it’s not as big of a deal but if he wants 8+ long term, do you do that? You may be better served to find someone a little cheaper who will probably give you a little less streakiness even if the highs aren’t quite as high. I’m hoping it’s just another slump but the mental sides of his game are really worrying looking forward to if he should be signed long term.

With Igor, the talent is there but so much of being an elite starter in this league is the mental side of the game. It sucks to have to always compare Igor to Hank but I can’t help it in this situation. Hank was just as elite mentally as he was physically so it’s not really a fair standard I guess. Igor really needs to reset and settle down the mental aspects of the game. He’s too talented to be a .904 goalie which is where he’s at right now. He could be sub .900 when he’s at the all star game at this rate.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
And then I saw this on twitter and it made my blood boil:

Yeah Adam Fox of his Norris trophy and two other top 3 finishes in 4 seasons has been tricking everyone into thinking he’s good. He’s not actually good. Because of a game in January while he’s still coming back from a knee injury. That’s definitely a smart takeaway from this game.

Media people with an agenda are the worst. Dismiss and cast down one player to prop another up.

How about Fox and Hughes are both good? Too tough for smooth brain dog boy to process?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, Igor these last two seasons has been so prone to falling apart when he gives up a goal. The defense isn’t doing him any favors but your elite goalie is supposed to be able to bail them out sometimes. He had his great Vezina season and from the stories written and quotes from him make it seem like when he’s not playing that perfectly it clearly gets him down mentally and he loses focus.

I have really strong reservations about signing him to a long term high AAV deal with this level of inconsistency. I was okay giving Hank his huge deals because he was so damn consistent you could set your watch to his .920+ sv% in the regular season and you knew it would be even better in the playoffs. If Igor is going to be this streaky, can you really afford to pay him big bucks? At his current cap% it’s not as big of a deal but if he wants 8+ long term, do you do that? You may be better served to find someone a little cheaper who will probably give you a little less streakiness even if the highs aren’t quite as high. I’m hoping it’s just another slump but the mental sides of his game are really worrying looking forward to if he should be signed long term.

With Igor, the talent is there but so much of being an elite starter in this league is the mental side of the game. It sucks to have to always compare Igor to Hank but I can’t help it in this situation. Hank was just as elite mentally as he was physically so it’s not really a fair standard I guess. Igor really needs to reset and settle down the mental aspects of the game. He’s too talented to be a .904 goalie which is where he’s at right now. He could be sub .900 when he’s at the all star game at this rate.

To be fair to Igor, in the first 4 or 5 seasons Hank had all but one season at sub 0.920. Then scoring went down. I wouldn't be shocked if Igor does what he did last year ends up in the 0.915 range and then he'd be comparable to Hank. That said I don't remember as many prolonged slumps and as few dominant stretches as Igor has these last two seasons. That said he had 4 or 5 games in a row where it seemed like he was coming out of it. So I think he will. The defense is just awful in front of him. But as I said Demko had a worse defense in front of him and bailed his team out.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
This was just a terrible team defensive effort. Every innocuous-looking rush was turned into an odd-man opportunity because a player was out of position or late covering his man. With some losses, you burn the tape and move on, but this one might be the one that the coaching staff hammers them with. There is so much blame to go around and so many errors that cannot be repeated.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
what’s so frustrating is how inconsistent we are. there are nights where our defense is incredibly solid. the issue is the last month or so our team defense has taken a massive nosedive. often times our mistakes lead to mothing, but I look back to early in the 2nd where it took iirc 4 tries to clear the zone. each time we tried to make an outlet pass, it got intercepted. it was truly remarkably bad play. and it was all unforced. I just don’t know what our players are thinking sometimes even if they’re thinking.

the big issue is frequently the game after this we play really well. the problem is a few weeks ago we’d have one truly bad like this one, then string 3 or 4 really good ones before having another bad one. now it’s becoming 1 or 2 games. pretty soon we’ll go back to back on truly bad games. our play is no longer sustainable for winning, and, to be honest, it hasn’t been for several weeks now. I don’t know what’s happened to our structure, but it’s completely gone, and I’m extremely concerned.

Reactions: Breaded Fox

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
To be fair to Igor, in the first 4 or 5 seasons Hank had all but one season at sub 0.920. Then scoring went down. I wouldn't be shocked if Igor does what he did last year ends up in the 0.915 range and then he'd be comparable to Hank. That said I don't remember as many prolonged slumps and as few dominant stretches as Igor has these last two seasons. That said he had 4 or 5 games in a row where it seemed like he was coming out of it. So I think he will. The defense is just awful in front of him. But as I said Demko had a worse defense in front of him and bailed his team out.
True on Hank and it is important to remember the numbers don’t always translate, it’s always about how you’re doing relative to league average and then to the other elite goalies each season. Hank was a Vezina finalist in like all of those seasons and over his whole career he was always in the top 5 of the league basically the entire time. That consistency is what made him elite and a hall of famer so it’s not really fair for that to be my standard too. It’s just very frustrating because you see Igor having that ability.

Yeah, his 5 games before Carolina were all good and it seemed like he was pulling himself back to his level but then the Carolina game and then this game back to back goals against in the first and one with 16 seconds left to make it 3-1 and then it’s over and the wheels are off. I guess we’ll have to see how he responds but it feels like he’s right back down sinking again and that’s why it’s worrying me and feeling like such a mental thing with him. Which is definitely concerning if you’re going to sign him to a big deal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
True on Hank and it is important to remember the numbers don’t always translate, it’s always about how you’re doing relative to league average and then to the other elite goalies each season. Hank was a Vezina finalist in like all of those seasons and over his whole career he was always in the top 5 of the league basically the entire time. That consistency is what made him elite and a hall of famer so it’s not really fair for that to be my standard too. It’s just very frustrating because you see Igor having that ability.

Yeah, his 5 games before Carolina were all good and it seemed like he was pulling himself back to his level but then the Carolina game and then this game back to back goals against in the first and one with 16 seconds left to make it 3-1 and then it’s over and the wheels are off. I guess we’ll have to see how he responds but it feels like he’s right back down sinking again and that’s why it’s worrying me and feeling like such a mental thing with him. Which is definitely concerning if you’re going to sign him to a big deal.

You saw it some even 2 years ago. There was a Devils and Blues game where he got shelshocked. Then the Penguins series happened.

That said I remember Hank early on in his career would have games like that especially against Montreal. And then they mostly stopped until 2013-14 and I think he lost some consistency after that. But yeah, it seems more often with Igor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad