Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Keefe should look for a soft spot on the road for Sammy's next start.

Woll should be allowed to lose and play again he's earned that much trust at this point. We should roll him in November.
Goalies today rarely play back to back, So I assume we will see Sammy on Friday or Saturday, tough call on which night to go with him, thats why Im not the coach lol

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Sammy was awfully good just one start ago against the Bruins. Keep him away from TB, seems to have them in his head at the moment, but he still needs a regular rotation for now.. can lean it slightly to Wall, like 60/40 maybe

Reactions: thinkblue

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sammy to Edmonton for Bouchard, 350k retained.
Send down somebody from D and recall Jones.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Jones has been awful so far, and Woll is too much of a question mark to be left alone. The smartest bet at the moment for the team is to see if Sammy rebounds
I’m all for moving Samsonov and finding another goaltender to share to load with Woll but it’s funny what a couple good pre-season games can apparently do to the fan base… Jones is awful and has been bad for the past few years. It would be stupid to replace Samsonov for Jones.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Goalies today rarely play back to back, So I assume we will see Sammy on Friday or Saturday, tough call on which night to go with him, thats why Im not the coach lol
If you take out the two horrible Tampa periods he was playing ok.

I just hope the two Tampa games havn't ruined him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Sammy's been rough but we need to try to get him back on track .. easy situational starts to help boost his confidence.

It's a lot to put on Woll.

Only use Jones if Sammy keeps veering down the Campbell path.

Organizationally I'm keeping an eye on Hildeby on the Marlies... has had a nice few starts. Even though he's already 22, he's shown some promise in Sweden and a strong year with the Marlies (like Woll) could see him get a chance later this season if Jones/Sammy can't cut it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It seems simple enough to give Woll two of the next three starts and assess further after the back-to-back on the weekend (there's also just shy of a week in between games for the team at that point as well).

How one divides those weekend starts depends upon whether more stock is put into what is potentially better for the team (trying to win the first game with a fresher team) or what might be better for a struggling goalie (a start against a "lesser" opponent)?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It seems simple enough to give Woll two of the next three starts and assess further after the back-to-back on the weekend (there's also just shy of a week in between games for the team at that point as well).

How one divides those weekend starts depends upon whether more stock is put into what is potentially better for the team (trying to win the first game with a fresher team) or what might be better for a struggling goalie (a start against a "lesser" opponent)?

Yep .. For example they play Ottawa tomorrow but then a back to back Friday/Saturday vs Calgary/Vancouver. Sammy should absolutely get the start Friday against Calgary, who have not been that strong offensively (whereas Vancouver has been).

After that Woll can get the next 2-3 starts until the B2B against Chicago/Pittsburgh.

Really only play Sammy on back to backs right now.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yep .. For example they play Ottawa tomorrow but then a back to back Friday/Saturday vs Calgary/Vancouver. Sammy should absolutely get the start Friday against Calgary, who have not been that strong offensively (whereas Vancouver has been).
There certainly is a fair amount of merit to this line of thinking. Conversely, I can also see the logic in starting the currently superior option in net for this game, which hopefully then increases the chances of winning by a larger margin.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Sammy's been rough but we need to try to get him back on track .. easy situational starts to help boost his confidence.

It's a lot to put on Woll.

Only use Jones if Sammy keeps veering down the Campbell path.

Organizationally I'm keeping an eye on Hildeby on the Marlies... has had a nice few starts. Even though he's already 22, he's shown some promise in Sweden and a strong year with the Marlies (like Woll) could see him get a chance later this season if Jones/Sammy can't cut it.
I'm of the same mind, keeping an eye on Hildeby. Really interesting prospect, looked decent in pre-season. Was just researching potential nicknames but apparently "Hildebeast" is already coined and a thing, which is really quite excellent.

There certainly is a fair amount of merit to this line of thinking. Conversely, I can also see the logic in starting the currently superior option in net for this game, which hopefully then increases the chances of winning by a larger margin.
Personally I'd go right back to Sammy for Calgary, try to keep his confidence intact. Might depend on tomorrows outcome.

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
I would really like to know how are defense is playing in front of our goaltending like where we rank in giving high danger chances stuff like that

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Ok so here's the plan from now on - start Samsonov, let him get destroyed, pull him for Woll then win. There is no other way

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
1000013116.png

horner

May 22, 2007
I am confident Woll can correct his issues
The last game against TB he was almost perfect. Last night he didn't look comfortable for some reason.

Sammy needs to really work on his game

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Got quite a bit of heat for this but I suggested going after Gibson. Playing behind a better Ducks team, he’s looked pretty good. 6.4 is quite high, not sure Anaheim would want to retain for another 3 years but if we could drop his cap hit down to 5 I think it would be a no brainer. Gibson - Woll tandem would be great and allow Woll to slowly become our starter instead of being thrown into one on a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad