Value of: Goaltender to EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You might be right, but people have said this exact same thing numerous times on this site only to see an "untradable" contract traded. Most contracts are tradable in the right circumstances, but again I don't know if the price ends up being worth it for the Oilers anyways so its a moot point.
This. Friedman even hinted (or speculated perhaps) that the Oilers had received a price from some teams and they just didn't want to pay it as it was grossly high. Buying him out is likely cheaper.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The cap is the issue. Nobody takes Campbell obviously, or rather, not at a price Edmonton could/would pay vs waiting for the summer buyout.

We'd have to jettison McLeod and Foegele before the deal and replace with ELC/league min. Even then, we'd still need a bit of retention on Saros.

The Oilers have precious few guys that they can move:

Unmovable (for whatever reason):
McD
Drai
Nuge
Hyman
Nurse

Movable assets > $1.5M are quite limited:
Kane @ $5M
Foegele @ $2.75M
Ceci @ $3.2M
McLeod @ $2.1M
Campbell @ $5M
Skinner @ $2.6M

After that, everybody makes too little to matter. Except for Kane or Campbell, even bundling two of those assets into the deal doesn't quite get you there once you factor in replacement value.
I think we all need to recognize that even if we traded a goalie, it wouldn't be for a Saros type. Not a true, clear cut #1, as long as they think Skinner could be the future.

Ekholm (6.25) and Kulak (2.75) could make your list as well, but I don't think that would be smart when our defense depth has been an issue in the recent past (ie, 2 months ago). But, something will have to give sooner or later.

With Broberg playing so well in Bakersfield, I wonder if the Oil decide to move on from Kulak or Ceci to secure a goalie. I doubt it, but it is one option. Truthfully, I can't see any options other than moving Ceci, Kulak or Foegele, and Foegele has been playing too good to move him IMO.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
you are stuck w/Soup for now -- simply just a little too much $$$ and term to move

If you are desperate for cap flexibility, eating Nurse at half and paying a suitor to take on that term is possible.
But not soup.

As to an upgrade, not seeing who is readily available and at cheap cost.

nyr could offer Domingue, but if return too low -- which I get -- then he is worth more to us as injury insurance, even tho I personally believe Garand is not far from stepping in if the Martians kidnapped anybody.
Nurse is finally earning his contract with the Coffee effect. He's not going anywhere.

Ok for real this time:

To Edm: Saros

To Nash: Broberg, Holloway, Skinner
Nope. Skinner has been one of the best in the league since the turn around.

Reactions: InTheBox

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I mean the Nurse hate is overboard for sure. But a very good defenseman? I wouldn't say that either. If he's your 3rd or 4th best defender and 2nd best offensive guy he's fine. But he's not very good.
You are not paying attention to the Coffee effect. Nurse has been unlocked, and gone pure beast mode. He's been worth every penny of his contract since the coaching change.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Like LeBrun said in his column today, the Oilers are stuck with Campbell until the summer, and likely a buyout.

If he somehow played his way back to a decent level, then the Oilers would still need to eat a significant part of 3 years of cap and send quality assets to trade him.

If Campbell can turn it around he could still get another shot in the league, but only on a 1 year "show me" deal.

It's not worth it, sunk cost. Find other ways to make an addition.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Like LeBrun said in his column today, the Oilers are stuck with Campbell until the summer, and likely a buyout.

If he somehow played his way back to a decent level, then the Oilers would still need to eat a significant part of 3 years of cap and send quality assets to trade him.

If Campbell can turn it around he could still get another shot in the league, but only on a 1 year "show me" deal.

I think an offseason trade with retention is a possibility as well. Campbell making $3.5, with a more digestible buyout could be moved without multiple 1sts imo. From an Oilers perspective, it's retaining for 3 years rather than paying for 6.

Reactions: Oilers88

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

DB53BEA1-A1D6-46AF-B8BD-BE0C1CB63BE4.gif

Oilers have a plan in place. They’ve hired this guy to show up to Condors game and make Campbell have a nervous breakdown so they can put him on LTIR.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
excellent post
as explained
either
take hit to status quo for immediate roster flexibility AND long term structural cap relief

OR
ride Nurse now, accept immediate cap constraints ok and more importantly, you gamble on Nurse long term

You correctly pt out they should have long termed him earlier for cheaper if they were gonna go there at all.

Rs did same stupidity this past off season not long terming KAM
yeah, it's good now but will cost later
You keep doubling down on this. Please explain where the cap is coming from once the Oilers replace Nurse?

Reactions: ManofSteel55

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You keep doubling down on this. Please explain where the cap is coming from once the Oilers replace Nurse?
It depends on exactly what is done next but
as I said for example, DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LINDGREN
but just as a separate deal

Rs need to give mins to Robertson
1. Nurse at half ++to NY for __________ +
2 Oil now has 4.6 + instant [and more importantly, long term structural] cap relief.
3 Lindgren = 3per expires next yr
4 pick + elc prospect for Lindgren = 4.6-ish + elc prospect hit = roughly 5.5 ballpark cap relief
minus Lindy 3.0 cap hit = 2.5 cap relief
5. If same thing but NY retains on Lindgren, say up to half, then
above cap hit 5.5 but only - takes back say 1.5 salary = 4.0 instant relief

I used Lindgren to provide an example.
Would prefer to send to DET
but you wanted an illustration

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think we all need to recognize that even if we traded a goalie, it wouldn't be for a Saros type. Not a true, clear cut #1, as long as they think Skinner could be the future.

Ekholm (6.25) and Kulak (2.75) could make your list as well, but I don't think that would be smart when our defense depth has been an issue in the recent past (ie, 2 months ago). But, something will have to give sooner or later.

With Broberg playing so well in Bakersfield, I wonder if the Oil decide to move on from Kulak or Ceci to secure a goalie. I doubt it, but it is one option. Truthfully, I can't see any options other than moving Ceci, Kulak or Foegele, and Foegele has been playing too good to move him IMO.

I would trade Skinner+++++ for Saros in an instant, would be pointless to keep him (and he helps with cap), but you are right... Oilers management, in their "goalie wisdom", probably wouldn't.

Ekholm should have been on my "untradeable" list.

Kulak should have been on the tradeable list.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton

2 Oil now has 4.6 + instant [and more importantly, long term structural] cap relief.
4 pick + elc prospect for Lindgren = 4.6-ish + elc prospect hit = roughly 5.5 ballpark cap relief

Ahh now it all makes sense. You just want Nurse at half salary on your favourite team for basically free. Every Oilers fan will pass on that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

But you can't factor in the ELC prospect hit... we need another guy on the roster to replace him.

So you are having us commit to $4.6M in WASTED cap space just to get out of a contract for a 28 year old defenseman.

Remind me again how long smooth skating defensemen play in this league?

Remind me again just how overpaid Nurse is? You haven't answered that question.... the answer has to be >$4.6M overpaid for this to make any sense.

And he isn't $4.6M overpaid. He's at most $2M overpaid.... at most.

Honestly, I was going to say this is absolutely the stupidest idea I've ever seen posted on these boards, but then.... [checks Cap Friendly]... oh, I see NYR have $5.2M in LTIR available... now I get it. Well done!

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

Bernmeister, please drop the idea of Nurse at 50%, I have seen you propose it a few times now and its not realistic in any way. If you want to take 4+ million worth of cap space for a few years Campbell is there to be had though.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Nurse has a NMC

Reactions: TFHockey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ahh now it all makes sense. You just want Nurse at half salary on your favourite team for basically free. Every Oilers fan will pass on that.
No I'd add value to Nurse and make him fully attractive despite the legit long term risk by defraying that risk somewhat, and eat 1.6-ish per on Nurse so he can then bring in a real haul at 3 per

3 per is low enuf that even w/7-ish yrs the risk becomes worth it

Bernmeister, please drop the idea of Nurse at 50%, I have seen you propose it a few times now and its not realistic in any way. If you want to take 4+ million worth of cap space for a few years Campbell is there to be had though.
Am happy to drop it
You guys keep asking for clarification despite I already explained it repeatedly

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Keep dreaming Bern. The cost for Nurse at 50% is Shesterkin. As others have said, if we are talking about a cap dump, we'll give you Campbell for a first and a a 1st equivalent prospect. Which is the price (2 firsts) that Friedman speculated was the cost to move Campbell.

The Rangers want to contend though, so they aren't the team for this.

Last edited:

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
we agree on the bold [in that there is a trade off -- never said it was an even trade off, just one w/differing variables/results -- of immediate cap relief vs loss of immediate production from likelihood of inferior replacement].

But underline is not true
IF you luck out and Nurse holds up well, then enjoy your good fortune
But howev, everyone loses vs father time and most do so sooner than later.
If you wait to dump that contract then, yes, you will have less term and that will help
BUT
Nurse may very well devolve by then

So doing this now is an insurance buy hedging vs future disaster b'c as Oil fan noted, he was overpaid bc they did not extend him earlier for cheaper.

Should that even be a discussion?
In a vacuum, not nec.
But are you gonna need that 4.6-ish in coupla yrs to max Drai, e.g.?

Again don't shoot the messenger
and
keeping this on pt,
the thread is about netminder help
what are the options
you are saddled w/soup
so it is likely you're gonna have to something creative to have options to land a G from somewhere

ok, bern will get back to

So you come just to derail another Oilers thread you to try and snakeoil salesman your way to another Oilers defenseman. It's predictable now and tiresome

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Nurse @ 50% 🤣🤣🤣

Nurse at 50% ++ to NY… sure, for Fox.

Am happy to drop it
You guys keep asking for clarification despite I already explained it repeatedly
… and it still makes zero sense.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Nurse is finally earning his contract with the Coffee effect. He's not going anywhere.

Nope. Skinner has been one of the best in the league since the turn around.

Agreed. Skinner should work in tandem with whomever is coming in.

To Edm: Saros

To Nash: Broberg, Holloway, Skinner

The point of the thread was to use real world trades to demonstrate that Goalies, even starters, don't land as much as we think in trade. This is way more than starters go for.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Agreed. Skinner should work in tandem with whomever is coming in.

The point of the thread was to use real world trades to demonstrate that Goalies, even starters, don't land as much as we think in trade. This is way more than starters go for.

... but goaltenders like Saros don't normally get traded. He's 28 and a legit top-5 goalie in the league.

Cap doesn't work, but I'd easily make that trade. Maybe swap McLeod for Holloway, but that depends on Nashville. Neither of Broberg or Holloway are contributing right now, and Saros makes Skinner redundant (especially given our cap situation)... Rodrigue can be our backup next season... we'd have our Ullmark/Swayman.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
... but goaltenders like Saros don't normally get traded. He's 28 and a legit top-5 goalie in the league.

Cap doesn't work, but I'd easily make that trade. Maybe swap McLeod for Holloway, but that depends on Nashville. Neither of Broberg or Holloway are contributing right now, and Saros makes Skinner redundant (especially given our cap situation)... Rodrigue can be our backup next season... we'd have our Ullmark/Swayman.

I think the Oilers should try and pull off a Lehner type trade with someone like Vegas did. Double retention and cost them peanuts to get a guy who takes over the net. What a trade.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Habs fan here - seems to me Edm needs a golie and possibly some D depth. Also seems like they are very forward heavy and that there are some promising youth at offense that may be "expendable" as a result.

Any chance there would be some interest about packaging one of Allen or Primeau and Savard plus sweeteners in picks for a promising forward prospect? I dont know much about Edm prospects, but the rumors around Bourgault and Savoie (again with the rumors around french sounding names!!) are always going around. Bourgault seems like a TWD and Savoie projects as a 3rd line PWF, but im curious in Petrov, which seems to be a Offense first type of player. Any interest in moving those three? How close in value are they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad