Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
come back to me when you realize what saves Niemi made when we needed them most.

He's a goalie. Of course he made a lot of saves. Nobody saves nothing.

We were in a Cup run. Of course we needed some of those saves.

That doesn't change the fact that he let in way more goals than were acceptable in many key situations.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Clemmensen wouldn't cost much at all and they are getting close to calling up Markstrom anyway. A struggling prospect that Dale drafted and a mid round pick would be more than enough.

Also, he is signed for next year too.

Wait, I thought the point of bringing in a back up goalie was to put pressure on Crawford or to have someone who we can win with if Crow goes down.

That goalie is not Clemmenson, and it's not worth any kind of pick + a prospect.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Clemmensen wouldn't cost much at all and they are getting close to calling up Markstrom anyway. A struggling prospect that Dale drafted and a mid round pick would be more than enough.

Also, he is signed for next year too.

Here's the thing. We just resigned Emery. No way we trade for another goalie without giving him a looooong look first. Its just not good business.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Here's the thing. We just resigned Emery. No way we trade for another goalie without giving him a looooong look first. Its just not good business.

It's not good business to go back to something that failed you once either. I understand what you are saying though, they've dug themselves into a hole and will most likely try to dig themselves out (and forge deeper) than to just say "Hey, you know what, we made a mistake and we're making this move to fix it"

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It's not good business to go back to something that failed you once either. I understand what you are saying though, they've dug themselves into a hole and will most likely try to dig themselves out (and forge deeper) than to just say "Hey, you know what, we made a mistake and we're making this move to fix it"

This is exactly what will happen which is why all of this talk of brining in a back up goalie is pointless. He'll get a long look and by the time he's failed, the season will almost be over and it will be pointless to bring in a back up goalie to play 4 games.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is exactly what will happen which is why all of this talk of brining in a back up goalie is pointless. He'll get a long look and by the time he's failed, the season will almost be over and it will be pointless to bring in a back up goalie to play 4 games.

I just hope we don't resign him again. I can only take so many years of this ****. The worst thing would be that Emery plays a lot this year because of the crammed schedule and it ultimately costs us the Cup because we were seeded far below our talent and couldn't win enough on the road in the playoffs. Or Craw goes down in a playoff game and we have to put bags over our heads the rest of the series. :facepalm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I love all the talk this is generating due to a "potential" injury that Crawford may or may not suffer...

almost every team in the league has these fears, and very few are considered able to weather that storm if it happens.

I am pretty much open to anyone not named Emery to back up Crawford or step in with that "potential" injury might occur..

this team has played very well and looks more like the 2010 squad then the 2012 team...goaltending can be slightly above average for us to go far in the playoffs if our special teams and team defense continue to play remotely like they have so far.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
That save on Carter was as much about Campbell getting a piece of his stick so he couldn't lift the puck as it was Niemi for getting hit in the head by the shot. In a 6 game series Niemi gave up 5, 4, 5, 4, and 3 in the Finals. He had one great game and that was game 2. Other than that, the Hawks won because they scored 4 or more goals in 3 games that series.
yes, Campbell played a big role on that save too. The eye test told me that Niemi was great and those weren't softies he let him. Not more than 2 of those goals were

He's a goalie. Of course he made a lot of saves. Nobody saves nothing.

We were in a Cup run. Of course we needed some of those saves.

That doesn't change the fact that he let in way more goals than were acceptable in many key situations.

that's just wrong. If you are able to rewatch that series, you should do. Besides game 1 Niemi was great. He made a lot of those big saves.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I just think the most important thing to remember about a goalie is that he is the teams starter for all of the games he starts. It isn't 92 anymore and with this schedule, Emery or whoever the guy is will play A LOT. We haven't seen it yet, but trust me, it's coming.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I still think Karlsson should play over Emery. Guy will be ready to play for the Hogs soon. He will look good there

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I still think Karlsson should play over Emery. Guy will be ready to play for the Hogs soon. He will look good there

What's holding him up, I've been checking the Hogs stats after every game and still no King.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he wasn't in Rockford until 2 days ago or something like that. NOT SURE.

I think he will play the next game. He hasn't played in a while

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Emery is probably going to get about 10 games this season, we've already won 1 of those starts.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Emery's numbers and stats don't matter. The only thing that matters when you're talking about a goalie is Wins. Sure the numbers are nice, and make you feel like they're more reliable, but a win is a win is a win. Last year when Emery was on the ice, he wasn't great, but the team played well in front of him. Maybe knowing they couldn't rely on him caused them to play a more solid game and come up with more offensive points. If he allows 4 goals a game but we win 7 of 10 then who really cares? This team is capable of scoring 4 goals a game if they put there minds to it and capitalize on a few of their opportunities.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
that's just wrong. If you are able to rewatch that series, you should do. Besides game 1 Niemi was great. He made a lot of those big saves.

Again: Of course he did. If your team is in the Cup Final and five of those games are close in the third period, you are going to make some "big saves." He's a goalie, he's in a big situation, he's going to make some saves and those saves are going to be big.

That doesn't change the fact that he let in way too many goals. His team bailed him out so that his late saves could be "big." Those late saves would have been meaningless because of his own failures without them.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Again: Of course he did. If your team is in the Cup Final and five of those games are close in the third period, you are going to make some "big saves." He's a goalie, he's in a big situation, he's going to make some saves and those saves are going to be big.

That doesn't change the fact that he let in way too many goals. His team bailed him out so that his late saves could be "big." Those late saves would have been meaningless because of his own failures without them.

I agree, he wasn't amazing, but he did what he had to do to win, which is all anyone asks from a goalie.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I just think the most important thing to remember about a goalie is that he is the teams starter for all of the games he starts. It isn't 92 anymore and with this schedule, Emery or whoever the guy is will play A LOT. We haven't seen it yet, but trust me, it's coming.

Seems you've got a lot of people on the hate Emery bandwagon.... this after one bad game in what was his first game action in close to a year. Emery may not be the answer to our goaltending woes but Q should have let the 2 goalies fight it out last season going into the playoffs. Gifting the spot to Crawford was a mistake and a gamble that backfired and resulted in our early exit at the hands of an inferior Coyotes team. If Q had no faith in Emery to take over if the #1 goalie faltered, then Hawks should never have re-signed him.

CC looks okay at the moment but the question mark will be with him until he can win a playoff series.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

I love this. I'm pretty sure with Niemi still here you would talk otherwise.

Sure made a few mistakes, but you talk like Niemi was the reason for all those goals. He wasn't. He was good and he was great in the Sharks series with a good finals. Not his fault Briere, Hartnell and Giroux weren't stopable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad