Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
This team looks like a contender, does that also mean we need to come to grips with the fact that if Crawford gets hurt, the whole season is completely ****ed and we start talking about next year before the games are even over with?

You don't see something horribly wrong with that fact?

All because we didn't secure a solid second option?

Nevermind the implications of seeding even if Crow does stay healthy.

That can be said for almost every team....if they lose their starting goalie for any length of time, they are in a lot of trouble. St. Louis may be the only team that doesn't lose much if their starter goes down. Starting goalies don't grow on trees, and they certainly aren't moved during the season. Who was the last high level goaltender that was moved during the season? I honestly can't remember. And don't say Ben Bishop, the guy is 26 and hasn't done a thing in the NHL

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Crawford is still the same old Crawford as before, he simply has defense accommodating him as well as a scoring offense that rarely showed it's face last season.

Once the goals dry up (they will) and/or the defense falters (maybe?), it's going to be on him to handle a stretch of games where he'll be the only bastion between a win and a loss. I don't personally think he has the confidence in himself to handle that for a duration.

Emery is a total liability, and I have no clue if Karlsson is an upgrade from him or not. That being said, what we've seen in the past from Bowman indicates that the Hawks will likely be quiet at the deadline, barring some insane meltdown/Bowman takes up snorting coke.

He's just won four straight games in which the team has scored 3 goals or fewer. And Crawford made a lot of tough stops against Columbus, Detroit, and St. Louis.

Like others have said....any team is going to have some serious trouble if their #1 G goes down. Hopefully Karlsson/Emery could at least do what Emery/Crawford did last year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This team looks like a contender, does that also mean we need to come to grips with the fact that if Crawford gets hurt, the whole season is completely ****ed and we start talking about next year before the games are even over with?

You don't see something horribly wrong with that fact?

All because we didn't secure a solid second option?

Nevermind the implications of seeding even if Crow does stay healthy.

If we are relying on a back up to save our season if Crow goes down, no matter who we acquire outside of a current #1, our season will be ****ed anyway. So no, I don't see anything horribly wrong with that.

There are no solid back-up options available that won't cost an arm and a leg, that will be able to help save our season in that situation. NONE!!!!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That can be said for almost every team....if they lose their starting goalie for any length of time, they are in a lot of trouble. St. Louis may be the only team that doesn't lose much if their starter goes down. Starting goalies don't grow on trees, and they certainly aren't moved during the season. Who was the last high level goaltender that was moved during the season? I honestly can't remember. And don't say Ben Bishop, the guy is 26 and hasn't done a thing in the NHL

Yeah, but we are far more vulnerable than every contending team. At the very least Stan needs to keep shopping right up to the trade deadline.

Acquiring Karlsson was a minor league deal and shouldn’t for a moment affect the search for another bonafide NHL goaltender - but if that is Stan’s answer to this flaw, then all I can say is: How typical of him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, Karlsson is a solid No. 3 on a good team. Given who is our backup, he should get a look now. But yeah, we need the real deal as our second option and contrary to what most are saying, I believe that we could win a Cup with Clemmensen should Crawford go down. As far as realistic trade options go, that's the guy I want. They are about to have a spot open and of course there is the Dale tie, should be very, very doable.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, but we are far more vulnerable than every contending team. At the very least Stan needs to keep shopping right up to the trade deadline.

Acquiring Karlsson was a minor league deal and shouldn’t for a moment affect the search for another bonafide NHL goaltender - but if that is Stan’s answer to this flaw, then all I can say is: How typical of him.

Does it really matter how vulnerable we are? We aren't winning anything with any back up we acquire. The only possible back up that we could acquire that MIGHT make us less vulnerable is Bernier, and he will cost far more than any one is willing to give up. LAK won't help us unless they get a MAJOR return for him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed, Karlsson is a solid No. 3 on a good team. Given who is our backup, he should get a look now. But yeah, we need the real deal as our second option and contrary to what most are saying, I believe that we could win a Cup with Clemmensen should Crawford go down. As far as realistic trade options go, that's the guy I want. They are about to have a spot open and of course there is the Dale tie, should be very, very doable.

You are living in a fantasy land then. Not even the 2010 team would win a cup with Clemmenson.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Does it really matter how vulnerable we are? We aren't winning anything with any back up we acquire. The only possible back up that we could acquire that MIGHT make us less vulnerable is Bernier, and he will cost far more than any one is willing to give up. LAK won't help us unless they get a MAJOR return for him.

Yeah, it does matter. I still don't get it. This is NHL hockey. Emery is like the coaches kid who ****ing sucks ass and is carried along by the team just because he is the coaches son. This is the NHL, folks. Take the participation ribbons and give them to some mites.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, it does matter. I still don't get it. This is NHL hockey. Emery is like the coaches kid who ****ing sucks ass and is carried along by the team just because he is the coaches son. This is the NHL, folks. Take the participation ribbons and give them to some mites.

No, it doesn't matter how vulnerable we are.

If we are relying on our back-up to win in the playoffs, we are done like dinner.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not even a hair. Niemi is better now than he was then. That Niemi was better, but not by much, and not even close to enough to say we couldn't win the Cup with a slightly worse goalie.

Clemmenson is more than slightly worse.

Niemi made great saves and timely saves.

Clemmenson doesn't make those saves near as often, that's why he has been a back up for his entire career.

I won't even mention the fact that this team is no where near the talent that the 2010 team was.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
No, it doesn't matter how vulnerable we are.

If we are relying on our back-up to win in the playoffs, we are done like dinner.

You're right.

But a big upgrade of Emery allows the Hawks a possible out if Crawford becomes Crawford again later in the season. In other words, if Crawford returns to last year's form, you have something you can try late in the season. Where as it sits now - you have nothing. You have a backup who can't handle it and there's nothing in the AHL that can come up and help.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He failed to make a ton of key saves in a ton of key moments. You just get a lot of extra chances when your team puts up six in front of you.

come back to me when you realize what saves Niemi made when we needed them most.

highlights for the POs only and all were when the scoring was even or only a 1 goal lead

I'd kill to have that goalie back. Niemi was a big reason why we won and he MADE the key saves.

Clemmenson doesn't make those saves near as often, that's why he has been a back up for his entire career.

I won't even mention the fact that this team is no where near the talent that the 2010 team was.
Clemmensen is not worse or bad. Guy is a good #2 that can take over for a month or even two. He's just not a #1.
He was outstanding with the Devils.

He may not be the guy we win a cup with, but he would be a great upgrade over Emery

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
That save on Carter was as much about Campbell getting a piece of his stick so he couldn't lift the puck as it was Niemi for getting hit in the head by the shot. In a 6 game series Niemi gave up 5, 4, 5, 4, and 3 in the Finals. He had one great game and that was game 2. Other than that, the Hawks won because they scored 4 or more goals in 3 games that series.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

would take Clemmenson in a heartbeat to be our #2...without question. It is a perfect situation as he is in Florida, Dale Tallon likes to trade with us, and we have some prospects to move to land him, and I would imagine 2 mid level prospects to get him if needed.

whether or not Clemmenson could help this team win the cup or not is just guess work, but I will say that Niemi had a pretty bad 2010 playoffs overall. He made some solid saves in the finals, but both goalies were cringe worthy much of that series. Niemi didnt help us win the cup that series, Leighton helped Philly lose it.

if this team can continue to play sound defensively and score more than 3 goals per game, all we would need is a veteran goalie who can make the saves he is supposed to make..doesnt need to be a superhero. Clemmenson fills that void if needed imo.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You're right.

But a big upgrade of Emery allows the Hawks a possible out if Crawford becomes Crawford again later in the season. In other words, if Crawford returns to last year's form, you have something you can try late in the season. Where as it sits now - you have nothing. You have a backup who can't handle it and there's nothing in the AHL that can come up and help.

I agree, but are you going to give up your 1st + to acquire a goalie for just this year? Or would you rather wait till the offseason, and not give up anything and sign that goalie?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I agree, but are you going to give up your 1st + to acquire a goalie for just this year? Or would you rather wait till the offseason, and not give up anything and sign that goalie?

That shipped sailed a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time ago bro. Come on.

Sorry but that's been said for 3 years and we haven't done ****.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Clemmensen is not worse or bad. Guy is a good #2 that can take over for a month or even two. He's just not a #1.
He was outstanding with the Devils.

He may not be the guy we win a cup with, but he would be a great upgrade over Emery

I never said Clemmenson was terrible, I said he isn't near as good as Niemi.

He would be an upgrade over Emery, but it's not worth giving up assets because in the end he won't make a difference. If we rely on Clemmenson in the playoffs, we aren't going anywhere.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Clemmensen wouldn't cost much at all and they are getting close to calling up Markstrom anyway. A struggling prospect that Dale drafted and a mid round pick would be more than enough.

Also, he is signed for next year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad