Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If the Flames finally accept that they need to rebuild (which they desperately need to do) the Hawks should really go after Kiprusoff aggressively. He's still got it from what I've seen of him on Center Ice and he doesn't come with the longterm contract baggage that Luongo carries. Could be the perfect guy to backstop us in the Playoffs this season and next (he has one more year left on his deal next season, with a large cap hit but low salary number).

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
If the Flames finally accept that they need to rebuild (which they desperately need to do) the Hawks should really go after Kiprusoff aggressively. He's still got it from what I've seen of him on Center Ice and he doesn't come with the longterm contract baggage that Luongo carries. Could be the perfect guy to backstop us in the Playoffs this season and next (he has one more year left on his deal next season, with a large cap hit but low salary number).

Preaching to the choir. Have stated this many times. However, Feaster is a terrible GM and will probably do something to hurt them and not help. If Kipper's available, you get him. He can push Crawford, easily overtake Emery, and let us have the best man between him and Crow come the WCQF.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Really makes it tough to pick up salary until you have Kruger and Leddy resigned and know their numbers.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

No reason to pick up Kiprusoff now. He's had the same routine and time zone for close to a decade. Unless the goalie's name is Roy or has been bounced around their entire career, I don't like the idea of bringing in one in the midst of a season for a playoff run for what they're going to cost. He hasn't been out of the first round since the previous stoppage, and he's been behind a much much different group of skaters which may also cause some problems (adjustment).

I am not opposed to picking him up after this year, but I would prefer they avoid him for now. If they are going to get a goalie, I prefer a career backup on a contract with only one or two years left. There are plenty of those floating around.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No reason to pick up Kiprusoff now. He's had the same routine and time zone for close to a decade. Unless the goalie's name is Roy or has been bounced around their entire career, I don't like the idea of bringing in one in the midst of a season for a playoff run for what they're going to cost. He hasn't been out of the first round since the previous stoppage, and he's been behind a much much different group of skaters which may also cause some problems (adjustment).

I am not opposed to picking him up after this year, but I would prefer they avoid him for now. If they are going to get a goalie, I prefer a career backup on a contract with only one or two years left. There are plenty of those floating around.

All you're saying is fair enough but I really see this team as a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender. I just don't know if Crawford will be good enough for us to win with how defensive the playoffs have looked last year especially. Seems like the refs are calling things tighter which is great for the Hawks. Still though, when you're facing teams like the Blues and Kings in the Playoffs one soft goal can be all it takes to lose a series.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
as of now, we see what Crawford will do in the next month. We won't upgrade that spot until the TD.

Looks like Karlsson will get his first start after the AHL All Star break

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Starting to feel comfortable with Crawford

Looks much better this year ,, Looks more like 2010-11 self and the D this year has been much better to support him

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
almost 10 games in and Crawford has been a rock. he will not be the issue as to why this team doesnt win, I think we need to move on now and look at the real area of need : grit and toughness.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would imagine R. Lee Ermey -full metal jacket (Emery) will get the start tonight in a back to back situation.

its a solid matchup and a must win for the Hawks imo as we need to put up 2 points here and at least get a win this trip as this game is the only one I see as a definite win for the Hawks.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
17 wasted pages about our 'conundrum'

Did you see when that Canuck player ploughed into Crawford at full speed last night?

That results in a Crawford injury then we have more than a conundrum on our hands. Goalies get injured. CC is not impervious.

BTW ... I think Crawford gets the start again tonight.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Did you see when that Canuck player ploughed into Crawford at full speed last night?

That results in a Crawford injury then we have more than a conundrum on our hands. Goalies get injured. CC is not impervious.

BTW ... I think Crawford gets the start again tonight.
If any #1 goalie goes down in the league, their team has a conundrum. The only team that won't is Vancouver.

Lets see how Corey performs in playoffs before we talk about this being all waste

If he plays like this all season, and ***** the bed in the playoffs, we take care of it in the offseason. No goalie we can acquire will make a difference this year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would still like to upgrade our #2 spot

Emery sucks ,, We need a guy who can step into #1 job and provide NHL quality goaltending in event Crawford falters or is injured

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If any #1 goalie goes down in the league, their team has a conundrum. The only team that won't is Vancouver.

If he plays like this all season, and ***** the bed in the playoffs, we take care of it in the offseason. No goalie we can acquire will make a difference this year.

Ottawa and St. Louis probably as well.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I wouldn't say that at all. Besides there's different degrees of conundrum.

Ours would be a giant conundrum

The only teams in the league that could get by should their starter get injured are St.Louis, Vancouver, Minnesota and Pittsburgh. Some team's like Ottawa could probably get by, but relying on rookies is never a great idea.

So, in other words, Chicago's in the same boat as the vast majority of the league should their starter get hurt.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The only teams in the league that could get by should their starter get injured are St.Louis, Vancouver, Minnesota and Pittsburgh. Some team's like Ottawa could probably get by, but relying on rookies is never a great idea.

So, in other words, Chicago's in the same boat as the vast majority of the league should their starter get hurt.

I've been rooting for Emery ever since I heard of his hip operation and the tremendous fortitude he showed to get back, but I have some serious doubts that he could take on the #1 job here if CC went down for any length of time. I think most teams are more comfortacle with their secondary goaltending then we are. And after Emery we have nothing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Elliot, Harding and Vokoun, nor Lehner (maybe in a few years) are not goalies you win a cup with.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Elliot, Harding and Vokoun, nor Lehner (maybe in a few years) are not goalies you win a cup with.

It depends what team they played for. We could not win a cup with any of them I'd agree, but the Blues could win a cup with Elliot, and the Penguins could probably win a cup with Vokoun.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Yep let's ignore what he does in regular season and only judge him on 1 or 2 playoff series before we judge him.

:laugh: Keep 'em comin bwc.

It's that how you judge everything in sports. Did the Canucks have a good year last year, best regular season team, who cares if they lost in the first round.

Even if you judge the regular season, Crawford has had a good half a season and 7 games, he had a horrible full season. The bad still outweights the good with him for now.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Even if you judge the regular season, Crawford has had a good half a season and 7 games, he had a horrible full season. The bad still outweights the good with him for now.

Crawford started in 55 games in both of the last 2 seasons (came on in relief in 2 more in each season). So I'm not sure how you can call one a half season and the other a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad