Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Except he replaced Gerber and played Conne Smythe caliber hockey. Again, he was a goalie. Watching games tells you so much more than stats ever could.

I'll ask again. Do you really believe that Cam Ward is a comparable talent to Corey Crawford?

He had a great playoff run, but he wasn't good that regular season, the next regular season, or the one after that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Marc Andre-Fleury, Jimmy Howard, Cam Ward, Antti Niemi are all average at best goalies, a couple of whom had dynamic playoff runs they haven't repeated. I think Tim Thomas is the only post lock out goalie that has a career save % over .920

If Cam Ward is average at best, what does that make Crawford?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think people have forgot some of the awful goals Niemi let in during that cup run. He came up huge in game 1 against the Sharks and game 2 against the Flyers but other than that he was not great. Under .900 save% in 3 games against Nashville (out of 6), 3 games against Vancouver (out of 6), 1 game against the Sharks (out of 4) and 5!! games against Philly (out of 6).

in the end, he made the key saves at the key moments. He has proven it. That's the difference. Crawford so far has failed to do it. Just think about the stop against Carter in game 6. Or the last 10 minutes + OT in this game. Niemi made the saves.

not sure who brought it up, but Crawford at his best is Cam Ward being average or having an off night...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The goal is to win every game, never throw away a shift or even a second, especially on purpose.

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
Crawford is still the same old Crawford as before, he simply has defense accommodating him as well as a scoring offense that rarely showed it's face last season.

Once the goals dry up (they will) and/or the defense falters (maybe?), it's going to be on him to handle a stretch of games where he'll be the only bastion between a win and a loss. I don't personally think he has the confidence in himself to handle that for a duration.

Emery is a total liability, and I have no clue if Karlsson is an upgrade from him or not. That being said, what we've seen in the past from Bowman indicates that the Hawks will likely be quiet at the deadline, barring some insane meltdown/Bowman takes up snorting coke.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The Hawks should still pursue a backup option. I honestly think they believe Crawford is the guy. However, if something happens to "the guy" at some point, I want a respectable backup.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Crawford is 28.

I know this, holy crap people go back and look what I wrote to start all of this. Cam Ward wasn't Cam Ward when they won the Cup. At that point he was a young, inexperienced goaltender who wouldn't become a great goalie for several years. The point was a lot of average goalies have won the Cup and if you look at their regular season numbers in the years they won the Cup, the data bears that out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crawford is the man! Emery still a major issue, same as last year.

Wrong, the back-up goalie is the last thing we should worry about with the way Crow is playing. We only really need to worry about it if Crow starts to falter.

And last year, Emery wasn't an issue at all. 15wins, 9 losses.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Wrong, the back-up goalie is the last thing we should worry about with the way Crow is playing. We only really need to worry about it if Crow starts to falter.

And last year, Emery wasn't an issue at all. 15wins, 9 losses.

Agreed, if we're giving up assets, its not going to be for a back up goalie. People need to come to grips that if Emery faulters, Karlsson will be the back up.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, if we're giving up assets, its not going to be for a back up goalie. People need to come to grips that if Emery faulters, Karlsson will be the back up.

This team looks like a contender, does that also mean we need to come to grips with the fact that if Crawford gets hurt, the whole season is completely ****ed and we start talking about next year before the games are even over with?

You don't see something horribly wrong with that fact?

All because we didn't secure a solid second option?

Nevermind the implications of seeding even if Crow does stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad