Post-Game Talk: GM02 | Canucks lose to Flyers in SO | 2-3 (Hoglander & Blueger) | Winless Streak

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Pettersson looks disinterested almost, but he made smarter plays and looked tougher than in the playoffs last season. Who knows what's going on. But maybe give him some time.
The thing I've never really understood about Pettersson, is the amount of time he spends flat on his keister. Almost every time along the wall, he's going to lose his balance and go down. In one board battle tonight he was felled three times.

Is it a matter of strength? Edgework, or the lack o it? Surely they have him looking at film to try and figure out why he loses his pins so often.

Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
The thing I've never really understood about Pettersson, is the amount of time he spends flat on his keister. Almost every time along the wall, he's going to lose his balance and go down. In one board battle tonight he was felled three times.

Is it a matter of strength? Edgework, or the lack o it? Surely they have him looking at film to try and figure out why he loses his pins so often.
hypothetical question , if he was on steroids would he be like Peter Forsberg?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
These 1st two games have reminded me of pre-season hockey for the top 6...lots of missed passes, bobbled pucks, and missed assignments. They're looking like a group that's still trying to build chemistry, and learn how to play together in-game (we do have to give them time to gel), so I willing to cut them some slack there.

That said, they'll likely have 2 more (possible 3 if the Tampa game is canceled) practices to hone their chemistry/systems play, so we should expect improved cohesion next game.

Not ready to push the panic button yet, but clocks ticking!

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
These 1st two games have reminded me of pre-season hockey for the top 6...lots of missed passes, bobbled pucks, and missed assignments. They're looking like a group that's still trying to build chemistry, and learn how to play together in-game (we do have to give them time to gel), so I willing to cut them some slack there.

That said, they'll likely have 2 more (possible 3 if the Tampa game is canceled) practices to hone their chemistry/systems play, so we should expect improved cohesion next game.

The mighty return of The Iron Goalie!!

Not as much volume of posts during his earlier years, but still comes in once in a while when needed most to settle things down

Hope you been well, brother

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Feel like we're watching a player that has lost his confidence in Pettersson, so many times he had an opportunity to shoot and so many times he hesitated.

Also think we need to take DeBrusk off PP1, it's not even going 0-for-5, our process did not look good.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The weird thing with Pettersson is he’s lost the dangles and shiftiness he had early and become a pretty straight-line player. His shot also doesn’t seem to be nearly as dangerous out around the hash marks as it was before, and he’s obviously overpassing in the slot.

Not a Pettersson doomer but at some point you have to think about a change of scenery because it seems mostly mental.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sherwood - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Hoglander -Raty - Garland
Heinen - Bleuger - Suter
These would be my ideal lines as well, with Suter and Sherwood being interchangeable.

Joshua and DeBrusk are the best case scenario linemates for Pettersson. They can both do the dirty work/drive play even when he isn't going AND don't lack creativity/play with tunnel-vision to an extent that it makes sparking chemistry with Pettersson and getting him going a hopelessly unlikely outcome.

Really don't have much hope for the Sprong experiment working out now. Bring back Di Giuseppe.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com

I agree with this. They look rusty, while Garland, Hogs etc look like they actually played preseason, so I'll cut them some slack. I also don't get the Petey hate. I thought he had a few good chances, played relatively well defensively, and had a couple of signs of his skill (the spinning pass entering the Flyers zone).

Lankinen also played great. If I'm questioning anything, it's our D depth and the decision not to play the top 6 more in the preseason. It looks like they're working through the result of that now.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
No it's not. It's 50+ games at this point...
I think this is what a lot of people aren’t taking into consideration. This play has been carried over from the whole second half of last season and arguably the playoffs too.

No ones getting frustrated over just 2 games. It’s quite alarming to see the team play this way after the lip service they paid in the off season

Edit: I’m talking about the team as a whole not solely EP

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Pettersson? Where are you/
Watching some old highlights, the only thing I can see a little difference in is pace. He seemed to be much quicker, faster on his feet and hands. Somehow just everything seems slower now, his movement on ice and how quick he stickhandles and moves the puck.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Pettersson - didn't think he was terrible but almost seems now a kind of defensive player with limited offense. Beginning to believe that, at this stage of his career, this is what he is. High hopes people had now seem unwarranted. Real sad growing reality.

lol, this forum can get absolutely overdramatic at times.

He had 89 points last year, 102 the year before, but now apparently he's just a 30 point 3rd line center for the rest of his career lmao

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The weird thing with Pettersson is he’s lost the dangles and shiftiness he had early and become a pretty straight-line player. His shot also doesn’t seem to be nearly as dangerous out around the hash marks as it was before, and he’s obviously overpassing in the slot.

Not a Pettersson doomer but at some point you have to think about a change of scenery because it seems mostly mental.
Becoming a "Tocchet" player? Trying to?

Lots of media/posters want to forget last year but this play extends to January last year. Right around the time Kuzmenko was traded and Mikheyev was taken off his line. Calgary seems to like Kuz in the room, they say he lightens the mood, they said the same here about Zadorov. Maybe Tocchet see's that as not being serious enough. The room is pretty subdued now all the time.

Definitely off whatever is happening/going on.

Maybe, just maybe it is a Tocchet issue. He has the type of player he likes, that has been obvious and because EP is so high profile he/they aren't meshing. Tocchet has the type he wants and EP is trying to be that type. This would not be the first time Tocchet has issues with the higher skilled guys. In Arizona OEL demanded a trade, Keller was asking out, Dvorak, Strome quite a few back then.

What ever it is which would break first EP or Tocchet? Who would win? Which way would the team lean? To go Tocchet's way EP would have to made to look pretty bad.

But whatever the issues are or is a change of scenery might be the trick.

Ever see EP smile anymore without scoring a goal?
Soooo serious?

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Becoming a "Tocchet" player? Trying to?

Lots of media/posters want to forget last year but this play extends to January last year. Right around the time Kuzmenko was traded and Mikheyev was taken off his line. Calgary seems to like Kuz in the room, they say he lightens the mood, they said the same here about Zadorov. Maybe Tocchet see's that as not being serious enough. The room is pretty subdued now all the time.

Definitely off whatever is happening/going on.

Maybe, just maybe it is a Tocchet issue. He has the type of player he likes, that has been obvious and because EP is so high profile he/they aren't meshing. Tocchet has the type he wants and EP is trying to be that type. This would not be the first time Tocchet has issues with the higher skilled guys. In Arizona OEL demanded a trade, Keller was asking out, Dvorak, Strome quite a few back then.

What ever it is which would break first EP or Tocchet? Who would win? Which way would the team lean? To go Tocchet's way EP would have to made to look pretty bad.

But whatever the issues are or is a change of scenery might be the trick.

Ever see EP smile anymore without scoring a goal?
Soooo serious?

The coaching aspect definitely is a possibility.

Petey was pretty meh through the first half of the 21/22 season and didn't really kick off til midway through and his second half of the season was pure dominance.

22/23 continued where he left off and he ended the year with 102 points playing alongside Kuzmenko.

23/24 started off pretty strong for Petey. Lots of people noted that he seemed less dynamic and didn't play the same as he did the year before, but he was still putting up plenty of points and was defensively strong. His fall off didn't happen until around the time of the All-Star break and then the wheels just seemed to come off.

My thought was that Petey was really offensively dynamic playing under Boudreau, but seemed to have lost a lot of that player under Tocchett. Similar thing happened to Keller back in Arizona,

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
lol, this forum can get absolutely overdramatic at times.

He had 89 points last year, 102 the year before, but now apparently he's just a 30 point 3rd line center for the rest of his career lmao

He’s got 8 goals or something in his last 48 games, including playoffs. At what point do you get concerned. He’s basically been on a sub-20-goal pace since last year’s all-star break.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
He’s got 8 goals or something in his last 48 games, including playoffs. At what point do you get concerned. He’s basically been on a sub-20-goal pace since last year’s all-star break.

Who said I wasn't concerned about his production? He's clearly not playing the way anyone expects him to play. But there's a stark difference between being concerned and acting like his last 6 seasons were a complete fluke.

Reactions: DiggerDan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Would maybe try:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland
Heinen-Raty-Sprong
Suter-Blueger-Sherwood

Swap Sprong out for Bains if he can’t pull his head out of his ass until Joshua is back.

Hoglander and Garland have been two of our best forwards and Raty isn’t really doing much on that line. Have also not been overly enthused with Heinen on the top line.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Would maybe try:

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland
Heinen-Raty-Sprong
Suter-Blueger-Sherwood

Swap Sprong out for Bains if he can’t pull his head out of his ass until Joshua is back.

Hoglander and Garland have been two of our best forwards and Raty isn’t really doing much on that line. Have also not been overly enthused with Heinen on the top line.
I like this idea. Hogs and Garland could potentially get Pettersson producing, if anyone can. Only change I would make is Blueger for Raty on the third line for some more defensive balance.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad