Post-Game Talk: GM02 | Canucks lose to Flyers in SO | 2-3 (Hoglander & Blueger) | Winless Streak

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Seems I’m in the minority but thought the overall performance at even strength was pretty good even though there were some weak performances. The baseline should be pretty low when you have Juulsen playing as a top-4 defender and Forbert playing 18 minutes.

Special teams were clearly a problem though.

The entire fourth line could be playing higher up in the lineup. Blueger won’t because they need him at centre but Sherwood definitely should.

I’m guessing Sprong is benched next game but if he’s not he’s got to play on a different line. Still think the best role for him is with two strong defensive players who need someone who need help with finishing. Would be interested to see him with Blueger and someone like Heinen.
For me the positives.

Lankinen

Bottom 6 forwards. Tocchet needs to leave the Raty-Garland-Hoglander line alone and stop benching Raty

Defense, I thought they did ok losing Myers for 58 minutes.

Negatives

Power play

Top 6

Slow, lazy, casual efforts by the shooters in the shootout.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
We lost 2 of the first 4 games last year.

It really does blow my mind how down and out some ppl get about a loss like this. Getting the lead , bringing it to OT, getting a point. Being the better team.

Just imagine it was actually a bad loss. Like getting shut out. Just as the team did against the Flyers last year.How down and out would you be then ?

I can only imagine what this game would have been like against a Tampa or a Florida.

I guess we shall see soon.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Yeah Derek Forbort is f***ing elite. Just needed a bit of coffee

zlmxd4yqf9ud1.jpeg
I was listening to the game for the first 2. Forbort's name came up a lot for good reasons

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
What’s EP even at now? 30 smt games without a ES goal? How’s that even possible for a guy with that much talent. Surely at least a fluke goal sprinkled into there.

• Wow
Reactions: Coffees

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
The most disappointing thing is we have a player making $11 million dollar + and can't dominate the game like the other players that make that kind of money

Reactions: B-rock

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
The most disappointing thing is we have a player making $11 million dollar + and can't dominate the game like the other players that make that kind of money

Maybe he can start with getting shots off on the PP. Forget about dominating. He's to weak and frail to carry the puck 5on5.

One has to wonder what he spent his time doing in the offseason. Certainly wasn't working out to get stronger.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team structure needs some big time work. Lankinen had to be excellent to cover up for some very sloppy hockey. Forecheck was increasingly not there and Flyers were coming out of their zone with growing ease as the game went on. Having one of the main defensemen go down (and that spill looked ugly) was the one of the last things this team needed. Finally most of the shoot out attempts were feeble.

Good

Garland - never has a bad game. Effective in every zone. One player keeping us in the game.

Hoglander - real nice goal and good hustle to force the play in the Flyers end. Seems to wear down some as a game goes on (or maybe loses continuity given the lack of use on special teams). Might question stamina.

Lankinen - kept the team in it. Coverage in our zone was, in many cases, awful.

Blueger - providing some glue to keep the team together. Looked to be providing as much offense as anyone and PK work, per usual, was outstanding.

Hughes - thought he was good both ways. Tilted the ice in favor of the Canucks when he was out. Hronek was good as well.

Soucy - like others he was continually covering up for botched coverage by the forwards and their inability to get the puck out. Thought he moved the puck from the back well. Not perfect but he was bailing out others a lot.

Bad

Strong - not doing enough offensively to make up for defensive lapses. Got benched after the tieing goal. Might be better with Miller and Boeser. Certainly has more offensive potential than Heinen. Same old story for Sprong. Makes a mistake and he is immediately in the doghouse. If this is going to work (and that's a big IF) then needs to be played through mistakes. Not like others weren't making bad decisions. It's just that Sprong has such a bad track record.

Heinen - not good at all 5 on 5 and simply brutal on the PK . Team is doing a good job of killing penalty with players like Blueger and then they put Heinen out and the PK turns to crap.

Miller - just out of sync. Very little flow in his play. Lack of pre-season play now looks a mistake. Passing at time was very shoddy.

Others

Raty - barely threading water. Can't get ahead of the play and thus gets near nothing done.

Forbert - really wasn't that bad. Got himself forward in the neutral zone to break up plays and keep puck in the Philadelphia zone. Thought coverage was much improved

Juulsen - another who stepped up his game and played at an acceptable level. Never expect much but he was ok in this one.

Pettersson - didn't think he was terrible but almost seems now a kind of defensive player with limited offense. Beginning to believe that, at this stage of his career, this is what he is. High hopes people had now seem unwarranted. Real sad growing reality.

At this point, many of the off-season acquistions are questionable and the fears that some had of a regression, look justified.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
I'm worried because these aren't good teams the Canucks are playing. They aren't playoff teams. The top lines look like absolute trash and barely in these games. The bottom lines are fine.
Truthfully, because they arent playoff teams thats the reason I'm not worried.

They had the tomato can mentality coming into these two games, as did our fanbase

A tomato can, or simply can, is a fighter in individual combat sports with comparatively poor or diminished skills who may be considered an easy opponent to defeat, or a "guaranteed win."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00