Next years cap/roster

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd offer an additional year to Giroux if he goes down to $4 million aav. I'd love it if Ullmark took $7 million aav for 6 years.

Kleven has to have a helluva a rookie year to get more than JBD (who is currently better than Kleven).

Hoping Sogaard can be a back up next year so we don't have Forsberg's $2 million on the books (unless Ullmark expresses wanting to keep Forsberg there)
Ullmark is not making roster decisions.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ullmark is not making roster decisions.
I mean if the dude came here, and ended up signing an extension because he's comfortable here (possibly in part) because his friend is here too, it'd make sense for Staios to take that into consideration.

Having said that, Ullmark is a professional, and if Forbserg has an awful season or is good enough for an extension that we can't afford, he'll understand if Forsberg isn't back with the team next year

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It is too early to project the backup goalie. There is so much up in the air, with Forsberg needing to perform well this year to earn an extension, and Sogaard not looking great so far when recalled in the NHL.

Sogaard is on 1-way money next year. So it's probably his spot to lose. If he can be a good backup for Ottawa for a single season at 775k, that would save Ottawa from having to go out and pay more for a veteran in that spot.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I wouldn't be surprised to see Chabot eventually traded if there's a hockey deal out there. If Norris plays well enough then same thing, but that seems less likely.
Chabot & Norris are certainly the players under the microscope this year as they combine for $16m per season. That's a lot of cheddar.
I think we all are pulling for these 2 players to stay healthy and to bounce back to levels that we have seen in the past.

The reality is that neither of these players are likely to justify ever making $8m per season unless that happens.
They are both currently overpaid by around $2m to $3m per season and as such, it is going to be difficult to trade either of them without taking back a bad contract, retention or adding picks & prospects to the deal. None of which is desirable.

I like the idea of cutting back Chabot's minutes because in season's past, you could see that he was just spent a lot of games because he was playing 25 minutes a game in all situations. Cut it back to around 20 minutes with a solid partner (be it Jensen or Zub) and that will let him be more effective.

For Norris, he seems to be most effective with Batherson and it looks like they have back on PP1 in his one-timer spot.
Hopefully, he can get back to scoring a bunch of goals from that spot and get back scoring 30+ goals and just being a solid 2-way 2C.

By maximizing these 2 players as best as you can, you effectively raise their trade value, if that is the direction the team wants to take.
Freeing up $8m would allow you to go out and get two solid players (think Perron & Jensen), and/or to spread the money out to other players like Pinto & Greig in the coming years.

With Sanderson & Ullmark now joining the $8m/season club, that is 6 players on the Sens combining for close to $50m/season, as of next year.
Makes it tough to fill out the remaining ~16 spots with well over half of your payroll is already spent.

Reactions: Goat Boy

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Can we please get back on topic. We need an @UglyPuckling spreadsheeet
Here you go.

Please note the colour coding which conveys status info as follows:

Orange - These players are not under contract next year but have been inserted as “placeholders"

Blue - ELCs this season that will be RFAs next season. So, these numbers are low.

Yellow - New players that have been added to the roster this year.

If people have some ideas on replacement players for next year, or what our soon to be RFAs (blue cells) will get paid, I can likely generate another spreadsheet with those edits in a few days.

1728757000824.png

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Here you go.

Please note the colour coding which conveys status info as follows:

Orange - These players are not under contract next year but have been inserted as “placeholders"

Blue - ELCs this season that will be RFAs next season. So, these numbers are low.

Yellow - New players that have been added to the roster this year.

If people have some ideas on replacement players for next year, or what our soon to be RFAs (blue cells) will get paid, I can likely generate another spreadsheet with those edits in a few days.

View attachment 915637
That’s awesome. I think you can add Ostapchuk and Yakemchuk in pen.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
So I gather we are sitting pretty good right now with the cap.
Kleven & Grieg will be RFAs next year, so those numbers are low. However, we might end up with a less expensive backup goalie.

Also, Giroux and his $6.5 m is still in this 2025-26 spreadsheet, so there could be a change there. I’ve kept him there as a placeholder.

So, in summary, yes it looks OK to me so far unless there’s some surprises.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Kleven & Grieg will be RFAs next year, so those numbers are low. However, we might end up with a less expensive backup goalie.

So, in summary, yes it looks OK to me so far unless there’s some surprises.
Gregor RFA - Giroux UFA

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Gregor RFA - Giroux UFA
Yes. I dropped Gregor and replaced him with Ostapchuk in the latest version. I guessed that’s what you wanted.

Yes Giroux is a UFA next year, but I kept him (and his salary) in as a placeholder.

There’s probably going to be some changes, but I’ll wait a bit to see if some kind of consensus forms and include those edits in the next version.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad