Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That's all some people do with Dorion.. Cut him some slack, every year.

It's like he has a government job where there are no repercussions and no accountability.
Maybe Dorion should go on strike then?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Likely Sokolov, though he was a 2nd rounder...
Sokolov is doing good in the A, I'm going to hold judgements yet, need more time to evaluate him but so far I think we might get some games out of him. I think everything since 2021 is going to need more time to evaluate in terms of management's hits/misses

Reactions: bert

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I like what we have with him so far, it's just a matter of having him play NHL games to see if his scoring can translate, so its hard to say whether he was a good pick or not. Having said that, he's having a good season in the AHL, not dominating. Its one thing if he was like Norris in 2019-2020, in the top 5 for scoring. Sokolov is having a good season, he's 26th. There's definitely some potential there, but still too early to tell.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Does "still made the playoffs" really warrant praise when the baseline they started at was "won the president's trophy"?

they did what Ottawa wanted to do, got to play meaningful games and came though, is it worthy of praise I don’t know, but it shows that you can make massive roster moves and still come though to make the playoffs - so good for them.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When Dorion mentioned he and DJ did not always see eye to eye he was talking about improving the bottom 6 .. he then waffled around role players or scoring players and said they had lots of scoring in the top 6 and this and that and its nice to have players that can do both... Did anyone get any sense of what he and DJ didn't see eye to eye on?

Would trading for Brown at the TDL ; Dorion's idea of the kind of player we need to improve the bottom 6 for that playoff push or DJ's idea .. or the only player they agreed on lol?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Where does this "elevates in the playoffs" idea come from? Boucher hasn't elevated his game in junior; how is his game going to elevate in the NHL playoffs? He can't stay healthy playing against teenagers. It's time to completely write off that galaxy-brain draft as one of the biggest head scratchers in team history.

You do make an interesting point about those previous draft years. '16 and '14 weren't particularly strong, either.
I think you missed the IF

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When Dorion mentioned he and DJ did not always see eye to eye he was talking about improving the bottom 6 .. he then waffled around role players or scoring players and said they had lots of scoring in the top 6 and this and that and its nice to have players that can do both... Did anyone get any sense of what he and DJ didn't see eye to eye on?

Would trading for Brown at the TDL ; Dorion's idea of the kind of player we need to improve the bottom 6 for that playoff push or DJ's idea .. or the only player they agreed on lol?
He didn’t really indicate anything that he didn’t see eye to eye on with dJ. Maybe the greig call up?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He didn’t really indicate anything that he didn’t see eye to eye on with dJ. Maybe the greig call up?

Winning? My guess is DJ fell flat on his face to start the season and a good start (again) was the goal of the organization.

If DJ and Dorion got to the playoffs they both keep their jobs. So if they can’t agree, I hope it’s winning and not some random AHL player.

It should be winning. I hope it’s winning

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
20 minute mark here.
He mentions not seeing eye to eye... my question is on what more specifically. What are the opposing views?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
20 minute mark here.
He mentions not seeing eye to eye... my question is on what more specifically. What are the opposing views?
I don’t think that he’s going to make that public or speak about it until dj is fired

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe Dorion should go on strike then?
He should go on permanent strike. Id really appreciate that.

20 minute mark here.
DJ has forgot more about hockey than Dorion knows. He never even played. Get someone in here who is a real professional.

Reactions: Dionysus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a scout you think?

Certainly not GM or AGM. Maybe head of scouting? but in today's hyper competitive world I doubt he will be a hot commodity when he is out of a job.

From private jets to riding busses...
He will be an advisor or AGM. Wont be a GM ever again.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
20 minute mark here.

Dorion said they had to get off to a good start and they did not, then he trade for Chychryn and they go 5-7 with him in the lineup.

If DJ makes the playoffs he’s back. I’d hope someone in this equation is upset they didn’t make the playoffs because if they are both good with being out of the playoffs for 6 years they are stupid

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sokolov is doing good in the A, I'm going to hold judgements yet, need more time to evaluate him but so far I think we might get some games out of him. I think everything since 2021 is going to need more time to evaluate in terms of management's hits/misses
He showed some good vision and a good stick when he was up. He got like no ice time but did some good in it. I dont know why people want to give up on him so quickly its weird. He was always going to have a longer development curve, big guy needs to get faster. He clearly has offensive talent, when you are that big with decent hockey sense you can get in the way and be a bottom 6 guy. Whats the rush to give up on him anyways?... This team has no depth and is against the cap.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He should go on permanent strike. Id really appreciate that.

DJ has forgot more about hockey than Dorion knows. He never even played. Get someone in here who is a real professional.
Same situation if not even more amplified with Boucher. Its been the same ever since Dorion took over.
Dorion has shown is roster and pro eval skills too often

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He showed some good vision and a good stick when he was up. He got like no ice time but did some good in it. I dont know why people want to give up on him so quickly its weird. He was always going to have a longer development curve, big guy needs to get faster. He clearly has offensive talent, when you are that big with decent hockey sense you can get in the way and be a bottom 6 guy. Whats the rush to give up on him anyways?... This team has no depth and is against the cap.
i'm not giving up at all, just saying i want to see more of him before i make any judgement or form an opinion

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't buy this, he's been involved in hockey since he was a kid, played up until getting out of high-school. He's been exposed to top hockey minds since he was a kid.

I mean, Scotty Bowman played just a few seasons of junior in the old Q before cracking his skull and never playing again, he became among the most successful coaches of all time, you don't need to have played pro hockey to have a great mind for the game.

I'm not a fan of Dorion, but never playing at the highest levels isn't what's holding him back imo.

Reactions: DrEasy

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Dorion is a builder like Dubas.

I think we're at a point though where we need a manager/finishing touches guy who starts to build a playoff team and then a contender.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
20 minute mark here.
I took it as meaning "we don't agree on everything" which is a good thing.

Dorion is a builder like Dubas.

I think we're at a point though where we need a manager/finishing touches guy who starts to build a playoff team and then a contender.
Dubas is a destroyer.

He was given the keys to a dream car and a ton of cash to win races and spent it on stupid stuff that looked cool but didn't make the car any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad