Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Yeah I’m sorry to his apologists…but Dorion’s an asshole

The Gm's and players don't talk money or contracts.
How would you tell a guy in Florida you are not giving him a contract? the only other option is to not tell him and ghost him

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Looks like Dorion and DJ will survive and get yet another off-season due to the sale taking way too long.

Re-capping Dorion's luck:

- does a great job as head scout, gets promoted to AGM behind Bryan Murray (GM) and Tim Murray (heir apparent)
- Tim decides to leave and take the Buffalo GM job since Bryan doesn't want to retire anytime soon
- Bryan becomes ill and has to step down, tragically passing away later
- Dorion becomes GM of the team after only 2.5 years in the AGM role
- The team Bryan built makes it to the ECF in Dorion's first year in the role
- Melnyk decides to get perpetually drunk in Bert's down in Barbados, stops caring about the team
- Despite making bad moves and the team falling apart under his watch, Dorion stays on as GM
- For some reason Dorion gets to rebuild the team he helped turned into a bottom feeder
- Melnyk becomes ill, doesn't want to make any changes in his state
- He then passes away, team is run by a Board of Directors that can't/won't fire the GM until a sale
- Sale process keeps getting extended, just enough to ensure Dorion gets another off-season before new ownership can take over

Absolutely unreal. Dude fell ass backwards into the role, failed at every turn, and after 7-8 years he's still calling the shots :laugh:
Some days I wonder if you believe your own BS or whether you sit down to post with a view to stirring things up.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Dorion got the two best players from a draft where he had 3rd and 5th picks.

We undervalue hi.

Reactions: Que

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Dorion has the interpersonal skills of a lamp post. That tidbit from Anderson, and the knowing nod from Ryan, is not at all surprising.

Has anyone ever heard a player say anything nice about the guy on the record? Remember how players talked about Bryan Murray, even after they were traded or left? Or even in recent days, how players have thanked and spoken about Dubas and Treliving? Matthew Tkachuk was raving about Treliving and his character.

Nobody has come close to saying anything similar about Dorion, and likely never will. The closest I can remember is Stone saying the negotiations with Ottawa and Dorion were “fair.”

He only gives you the time of day if you’re above him in the pecking order. If you work “for” him or are a player? He loves to let you know that and flex his “authority”.

The guy also sounds about ready to throw DJ Smith under the bus to new owners. Hopefully they see through that charade.

Last edited:

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Dorion has the interpersonal skills of a lamp post. That tidbit from Anderson, and the knowing nod from Ryan, is not at all surprising.

Has anyone ever heard a player say anything nice about the guy on the record? Remember how players talked about Bryan Murray, even after they were traded or left? Or even in recent days, how players have thanked and spoken about Dubas and Treliving? Matthew Tkachuk was raving about Treliving and his character.

Nobody has come close to saying anything similar about Dorion, and likely never will. The closest I can remember is Stone saying the negotiations with Ottawa and Dorion were “fair.”

He only gives you the time of day if you’re above him in the pecking order. If you work “for” him or are a player? He loves to let you know that and flex his “authority”.

The guy also sounds about ready to throw DJ Smith under the bus to new owners. Hopefully they see through that charade.
Bobby Ryan has stated repeatedly on that show that he liked how the Sens treated him and had no problems with them.
Every NHL player will tell you thats how it goes, please do explain how Anderson was improperly handled.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Bobby Ryan has stated repeatedly on that show that he liked how the Sens treated him and had no problems with them.
Every NHL player will tell you thats how it goes, please do explain how Anderson was improperly handled.

Never said he was “improperly” handled.

I just said that Pierre Dorion isn’t very likeable and doesn’t seem to have very strong relationships with players.

Nobody is going out of their way to thank him, the way, for example, Matt Tkachuk thanked Brad Treliving. Or the way former players like Spezza, Karlsson, Turris and Alfredsson talk about Bryan Murray.

Dorion is the GM and the players are the players. Not much more than that. Once he’s gone none of the players will care or think about him again.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Never said he was “improperly” handled.

I just said that Pierre Dorion isn’t very likeable and doesn’t seem to have very strong relationships with players.

Nobody is going out of their way to thank him, the way, for example, Matt Tkachuk thanked Brad Treliving. Or the way former players like Spezza, Karlsson, Turris and Alfredsson talk about Bryan Murray.

Dorion is the GM and the players are the players. Not much more than that. Once he’s gone none of the players will care or think about him again.
Turris who's wife attacked Dorion on social media calling him a "liar" because he said it was his choice not to pay Turris? EK and Spezza who ran off the coach for trying to stop the worthless pond hockey?
Ya great group of people that praise the pushover that kissed thier arses and made sure the entitlement kept on keeping on.
Maybe Dubas can make more player friends and turn all business personal then if he gets fired or things don't go the spoiled athlete's way it's meltdown time
Can't see that causing problems

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Turris who's wife attacked Dorion on social media calling him a "liar" because he said it was his choice not to pay Turris? EK and Spezza who ran off the coach for trying to stop the worthless pond hockey?
Ya great group of people that praise the pushover that kissed thier arses and made sure the entitlement kept on keeping on.
Maybe Dubas can make more player friends and turn all business personal then if he gets fired or things don't go the spoiled athlete's way it's meltdown time
Can't see that causing problems

Are you Pierre's son he always talks about who plays at the Navan arena?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Answer the question. How would a "good" person tell Anderson he will not be offered a job?
the way it was handled was 100% normal
If I was Dorion, this is what I would have said:

"Craig, I want to start off by telling you how much I've valued your contribution to the Ottawa Senators -- not just this year but over your entire time with the team. You've played some great hockey and always been a great teammate and a great person in the community.

And I believe you can still play in this league. I really do.

But, as you know we're in a rebuild and the team is going with youth at every position. We need to make way for a younger goalie to come in and play some games in the NHL.

So, I'm sorry to say that we won't be offering you a contract for next season. I hope you understand.

So once again thank you. And I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do next year."

Something like that. Because, you know, Craig Anderson is a person and this is the way you treat people.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
How did the Sens drama turn out with that group of players?
Spoiled from being spoiled

They made the playoffs an awful lot and Spezza got them to the finals?

There's a reason people speak so glowingly of Bryan Murray. He made some bad hockey decisions, but was a great man who everyone respected.

Dorion has made some bad hockey decisions, and no one really cares for him.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
They made the playoffs an awful lot and Spezza got them to the finals?
Spezza was a part of a great team but his play was seriously exposed in the finals and EK is still getting scored on more than anybody. Literally
Dubas pulled a Murray and fired the coach leaving the star players to call the shots and leaving them feeling 100% justified and right.

Dorion will be gone soon so relax but Murray handing control to a room full of millionaire super stars was a disaster for the team and the players

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023

"Craig, I want to start off by telling you how much I've valued your contribution to the Ottawa Senators -- not just this year but over your entire time with the team. You've played some great hockey and always been a great teammate and a great person in the community.

But, as you know we're in a rebuild and the team is going with youth at every position. We need to make way for a younger goalie to come in and play some games in the NHL.

So, I'm sorry to say that we won't be offering you a contract for next season. I hope you understand.

So once again thank you. And I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do next year."

Something like that. Because, you know, Craig Anderson is a person and this is the way you treat people.
You were never told what was said and Anderson said his answer was a Hyperbole
So...Ya

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Answer the question. How would a "good" person tell Anderson he will not be offered a job?
the way it was handled was 100% normal
The opposite way maybe. You are not a good person if you think that was handled right.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
The opposite way maybe. You are not a good person if you think that was handled right.
Anderson stated his answer was a hyperbole, perhaps you should use your imagination for a good converation instead of bad. Or look up hyperbole
I don't see the need for made up outrage over nothing. Why pretend something bad happened then throw insults over nothing?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

You don’t know what was said, and Andy said his answer was hyperbole. So really we have no idea.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
You don’t know what was said, and Andy said his answer was hyperbole. So really we have no idea.
Well, I was just responding to the question 'How would a "good" person tell Anderson he will not be offered a job?'

...so that was my answer.

I suppose it's *possible* that Dorion said something respectful and professional. But I sure don't get that impression from Anderson's demeanour in the podcast.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I really like PD. This is a business and he’s a first language French speaker who operates in English society. He’s going to make unpopular decisions and his explanations can come out wonky. @Ghost of Jody Hull hit the nail on the head with ‘interpersonal skills of a lamp post’ lol.

He’s obviously an odd duck, but he’s got a very good hockey mind and has brought us this far under possibly the most trying circumstances in the league. I can’t think of a franchise other than Arizona that has dealt with as much as we have.

Do I know anything about the guy other than he knows a good pizza? No, and I don’t need to. His personality is going to make very little difference in the outcome of the franchise and does not effect me in and capacity. He has not been our biggest impediment to signing free agents or drafting imo.

I also think him and Kypreos would work very well together. They are polar opposites who have dealt with similar criticisms which should balance each other out.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Some days I wonder if you believe your own BS or whether you sit down to post with a view to stirring things up.
Its not really all that un true though. What was false in there?

Dorion has a very poor track record in how he treats the people around him I know first hand from people that have worked under him. He has poor character, ive heard he has got better but no one completely changes.

I think he has got better at his job, his leash has been incredibly long and mostly because of the breakdown that you quoted. But he undoubtedly has improved. Its a new era with new ownership. Its time for new leadership. It trickles down from the top.

Alfie is a great person he treats people well, him and Pierre are fundamentally different in that aspect and thats a big reason why Alfie originally left. He should be the president of this hockey club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad