GM Chuck Fletcher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
You can move Voracek, Simmonds, JVR, Gudas, and Ghost.
As well as Raffl, Weal, Weise, Laughton, Hagg, Folin.

To me the core going forward is G, Couts, TK, Lindblom, Patrick at forward and Provorov, Sanheim and Myers on defense.

Now that doesn't mean you actually move out everyone, rather, you listen to offers, and see what you can add which is a better fit with your core players and your top prospects. And you may make overlapping deals, take a top wing prospect and a high draft pick for Voracek, then flip the draft pick for another forward, for example.

There are two things you want to accomplish:
1) reshape the roster to fit with what you want the team to look like going forward
2) make it clear that 7 years of mediocrity is enough (this started under Lavi in 2012-13).

Of the names you listed, only Voracek And maybe Ghost can be considered core pieces that would actually start to reshape the roster by moving. Simmonds is almost irrelevant most of the time. I don’t see how you can move Gudas without either upgrading him, or taking a huge step back. He might be our best d-man so far this year. No one is taking JVR. The only way you’re moving that contract is to give Seattle a 1st to take him in the expansion draft.

I would move Ghost + something for a RHD that could play with Provorov in a heartbeat

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
You don't trade Ghost just to trade him, you trade him b/c Provorov, Sanheim and Ghost are all LH (and Hagg and Morin as well), Myers is probably a couple years away from top four status, and Friedman and Gudas are ideally third pair guys. So if Ghost is what it costs to land a veteran top four RHD (26-28 with cost control), so be it.

If JVR wants to go to a contender (and feels he was mislead), then you accommodate him, maybe take a bad contract or eat some money to get a better return.

And so on.

Agreed on Ghost.

I don’t think any contender looks at JVR this year and thinks he’s the missing piece. Maybe if he was a rental. No one is taking him for 4 more years thougg

Reactions: Larry44

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This team lacks talent. Is a serious statement?
Some of you should take your comedy act on the road.
“This team lacks talent” is typical Striiker straw manning. The guy obsessed with calling others liars probably is the biggest misrepresentor on the board. Go figure.

Saying the team is overrated, while pointing out they have league-worst goaltending, no 2nd line, #1 & 2 defensemen who are playing below average for those roles, & no consistent #3, isn’t the same as saying they are devoid of talent. Yeah, they had four really high scorers last year. Too bad your top 4 or 5 players don’t make a team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A lot of teams would take JVR, his salary is not out of line for a guy who has 136 goals in his last 4 1/2 seasons - that's 30 goals a year, 20 at ES. And he has excellent advanced metrics the last three years. He may not be a good fit here, but a team looking for scoring would jump all over him. And you can always eat a bad contract or a little money to sweeten the deal.

Simmonds has value at the TDL, he's healthy and a rental who's a proven goal scorer.

Raffl has some value as a quality depth player who plays "playoff style" hockey.

Even Hagg has value to a team with a quick but undersized defense that can pair him with a puck mover.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’ll be disappointed if Simmonds isn’t, all though I don’t consider him a core piece. I’ve always considered Ghost the most expendable piece due to Sanheim and Myers making him somewhat redundant, but I think he needs to return a top 4 RHD, someone who could make a legit top pairing with Provorov. Essentially an upgrade to Gudas.
Ghost is a great trade chip. Hopefully Fletch uses him wisely. The Flyers need a true 2nd line scorer, & also a top pair defenseman. Gotta use him to address one of those. At goalie, I’m of the opinion it’s Hart time.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
A lot of teams would take JVR, his salary is not out of line for a guy who has 136 goals in his last 4 1/2 seasons - that's 30 goals a year, 20 at ES. And he has excellent advanced metrics the last three years. He may not be a good fit here, but a team looking for scoring would jump all over him. And you can always eat a bad contract or a little money to sweeten the deal.

Simmonds has value at the TDL, he's healthy and a rental who's a proven goal scorer.

Raffl has some value as a quality depth player who plays "playoff style" hockey.

Even Hagg has value to a team with a quick but undersized defense that can pair him with a puck mover.

Why would you want to eat a bad contract or pay retention for 4 years or add a sweetener? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of moving him. You’re essentially admitting that he has negative value at this point. Name me the team who is trading for him in March

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We did that with Schenn, it's not about negative value, it's that the teams that want to buy, and are top playoff contenders, tend to be up against the salary cap for the most part, so helping them dump a contract improves the return on the trade.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Ghost is a great trade chip. Hopefully Fletch uses him wisely. The Flyers need a true 2nd line scorer, & also a top pair defenseman. Gotta use him to address one of those. At goalie, I’m of the opinion it’s Hart time.

Agreed about Ghost. I don’t want Hart anywhere near this team right now though. Not until there is a stable coach and system established. Bringing him up to get shalacked for 6 goals a night is about the worst thing they could do.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Agreed about Ghost. I don’t want Hart anywhere near this team right now though. Not until there is a stable coach and system established. Bringing him up to get shalacked for 6 goals a night is about the worst thing they could do.
Eh, they’re a fringe team, but they made the playoffs last season with mediocre goaltending. They aren’t a shooting gallery. Hart has gained his professional footing. I say put him in.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
If Quenneville is coming I've got to wonder if we go with an interim briefly. Q likely calls the shots and I can't imagine wanting to start a new gig immediately before Christmas
^^^
I have wondered this as well.
IF Q is the guy and the internet rumors are to be believed and he wants the Christmas holiday to his family....then is it possible that we....
A) don't see anything happen until at least December 27th....ugh (not ideal at all)....or.....
B) see an interim for 4-6 games until the new year...which I think most fans would be ok with, but would Fletch fo something like that...?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
^^^
I have wondered this as well.
IF Q is the guy and the internet rumors are to be believed and he wants the Christmas holiday to his family....then is it possible that we....
A) don't see anything happen until at least December 27th....ugh (not ideal at all)....or.....
B) see an interim for 4-6 games until the new year...which I think most fans would be ok with, but would Fletch fo something like that...?

We could ask Kevin Dineen to skip the holidays, which he probably doesn't celebrate at all anymore since the world took the Whalers away, and ask him to hold the fort until Q is finished with Christmas, then when Q comes, Dineen could slide right over into the assistant's chair like it was in Chicago.

That was easy. They really should consult with me directly about everything.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
1. Fire Hak and Hire Q

2. Trade for Tarasenko, only untouchables G, Coots, Neck, Patrick?, Provy, Sanheim, Hart

3. Trade simmer

4. Sign Panarin to play for his favorite head coach with his best friend

5. Sign a goalie like Jimmy Howard to shelter the load with Hart

6. Trade Voracek for d help

Panarin G/Coots Tarasenko
JVR G/Coots Konecny
Lindblom Patrick ?
Laughton Vorobyev Raffl

Silfverberg would be a good fit for 3rd line rw but idk if we’d have the cap.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Of the names you listed, only Voracek And maybe Ghost can be considered core pieces that would actually start to reshape the roster by moving. Simmonds is almost irrelevant most of the time. I don’t see how you can move Gudas without either upgrading him, or taking a huge step back. He might be our best d-man so far this year. No one is taking JVR. The only way you’re moving that contract is to give Seattle a 1st to take him in the expansion draft.

I would move Ghost + something for a RHD that could play with Provorov in a heartbeat

No-one is taking JVR.

The man who is about 20 games removed from a 36 game season.

Nobody will take him.

Jesus Christ this board.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
No-one is taking JVR.

The man who is about 20 games removed from a 36 game season.

Nobody will take him.

Jesus Christ this board.

List the teams that you think would trade for him right now, without having to retain salary or take a bad contract.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
List the teams that you think would trade for him right now, without having to retain salary or take a bad contract.

Most of the teams with the cap space. You’re being ridiculous if you think nobody wants him. Hysterical, knee jerk nonsense.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Most of the teams with the cap space. You’re being ridiculous if you think nobody wants him. Hysterical, knee jerk nonsense.

I hope I’m being knee jerk. I didn’t love the signing at the time. I love it even less after seeing him play this year. Maybe teams would take him, but I doubt anyone would offer anything decent.

Toronto doesn’t seem to be missing his 36 goals too much

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, they did take his money and sign JT, while Kapanen has emerged as a top scoring forward.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I hope I’m being knee jerk. I didn’t love the signing at the time. I love it even less after seeing him play this year. Maybe teams would take him, but I doubt anyone would offer anything decent.

Toronto doesn’t seem to be missing his 36 goals too much

No, because they replaced him with John freakin’ Tavares. It’s harsh to blame JVR so far. He’s had a fairly serious injury to deal with just as he was getting going, and he’s far from 100%.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
No, because they replaced him with John freakin’ Tavares. It’s harsh to blame JVR so far. He’s had a fairly serious injury to deal with just as he was getting going, and he’s far from 100%.

True on the Tavares/Leafs point. Also true I’m probably jumping the gun too quick on JVR. I still think there’s a much better chance of his contract being terrible and having negative value in a year or two than him being a 30 goal scorer for the Flyers

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
True on the Tavares/Leafs point. Also true I’m probably jumping the gun too quick on JVR. I still think there’s a much better chance of his contract being terrible and having negative value in a year or two than him being a 30 goal scorer for the Flyers

He won’t hit 30 this year. Too far gone already. But next year, with a competent team? Sure.

Don’t judge anyone on this season.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Oh I didn’t mean 30 this year. I meant 30 at any point in this contract. Hope I’m wrong, and a new coach figured out how to use him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I actually have more confidence in JVR than Voracek going forward.
JVR is a true power forward with a scoring touch around the net.
Voracek is a finesse forward who will lose speed the next few years.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Could easily move JVR for a first or prospect of similar value to a team in need of scoring. Carolina, Florida, and Anaheim to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad