GM Chuck Fletcher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
JVR was effectively Simmer's replacement and we should be able to garner some decent value for him (Simmer) at the TDL (probably a low 1st) but we don't necessarily need a player for him as we have assets in the farm that can and should be playing. Raffl I would keep but would again give you some value (a low 3rd maybe?) should you wish to trade at the deadline balanced against assets we already have. Neuvirth just waive at year end although Stolie would perhaps warrant another year if he can keep up this recent reasonable showcasing despite Hak trying to break him. Gudas could be traded for similar value to Raffl given the farm could once again replace him (Morin or Myers) but could be retained until the end of his contract.

The real issue is that Hak has been almost continuously playing inferior players in a poor system which exacerbates things whilst we're allegedly in a "must start winning" frame of mind yet the fanbase (game feedback and on here) is on a more "we've done years with Hex what's another year IF you let the farm play and develop". The overwhelming constant is that our farm cannot and will not develop with this coach and how he believes the game is played.

G Voracek JVR Couts Laughton Patrick Lindblom TK Ghost Provy Sanheim - that's a good blend of experience, youth and damned good skill which simply isn't being harnessed, used correctly OR they no longer play for this coach and his awful perimeter system.

Stolie Lyon Hart Morin Myers Frost Rubstov Ratcliffe Voro Bunny NAK Varone Knight - could arguably fill in blanks and certainly some of them have an overwhelming potential but you can't harness that playing inferior opposition endlessly.

My frustrations are boiling over from player selection and usage. I'm never happy to see this team lose with the people it has representing it on the payroll and their relative skills but if I have to accept the "process" then for pity's sake can we use some Ipcress style brain washing on whoever we get to coach here and use some of the farm to develop and provide an incentive to their younger peers that a bad game won't lead to being scratched or benched with 5 minutes or less TOI!

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even with a new coach, this is a 90 point team with the current goalies, they're that bad.
With an average group of goalies, probably 95-100.
With a great goalie, 100+.
This team needs to play at a 108+ pace to make the playoffs (95 points).

The goalies available in trade, other than Howard, aren't even average, Quick, Crawford, etc.
And with Detroit within striking distance of the playoffs (1 point out), I doubt Howard is available.
Even Bob is really off this year (.901 S%), beware the impact of the new pads on veteran goalies.
And again, CBJ is in the playoff race, so I doubt they move Bob.

So to me, best move is to go to Scott, tell him the season is finished, and the best marketing move is to trade some veterans for young players, bring up some young players, bring in a new coach who plays up tempo and tell the fans we're reloading for the next couple years, bear with our kids, at least we'll be exciting as we lose.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Even with a new coach, this is a 90 point team with the current goalies, they're that bad.

The goalies available in trade, other than Howard, aren't even average, Quick, Crawford, etc.
And with Detroit within striking distance of the playoffs (1 point out), I doubt Howard is available.
Even Bob is really off this year (.901 S%), beware the impact of the new pads on veteran goalies.

So to me, best move is to go to Scott, tell him the season is finished, and the best marketing move is to trade some veterans for young players, bring up some young players, bring in a new coach who plays up tempo and tell the fans we're reloading for the next couple years, bear with our kids, at least we'll be exciting as we lose.

No goalie is going to succeed behind the dumpster fire that is Haks system. A new coach will get the guys playing as a 6 man unit again and the goalies will benefit from it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers are among the top in fewest scoring chances allowed (2nd), and high danger chances (4th).
A new coach isn't going to make that much difference, this isn't Hitch going to a notoriously undisciplined team in Edmonton.
Last night 2 of the 4 goals were routine saves for "real" goalies. That's been a trend since last spring.

If a new coach goes more up tempo, we may resemble last year's Islanders.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Your obsession with punishing the players for not being able to float a failure of a coach all on their own is sad.

Remember when you bailed JVR as the key player who puts the team into winning position? You were so confident that you proclaimed we would finally be able to judge Hak. Well, how has that panned out? The usage of JVR has been laughable and he's regressed under Hak. What's your judgement of Hak, since you proclaimed the roster good enough to pass judgement?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
No goalie is going to succeed behind the dumpster fire that is Haks system. A new coach will get the guys playing as a 6 man unit again and the goalies will benefit from it.

Even if a goalie did succeed by some miraculous chance, he’d end up injured after starting 18 straight, including two back to back sets, or some other stupid number goalies aren’t meant to play.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart started 69, 68, 69 games the last three years.
Numerous NHL goalies start 60+ games a year.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

That's what i want.

But I don't trust the buffons in management to enact such a plan.

Forget the season,
play all the young players, trade vets.

Get another great prospect.

How's this for a dream scenario?

Win the lottery
sign Erik Karlsson
Panarin
trade for a 25-28 yr old dman who is a good player who is a defensive stalwart.
acquire a bridge goalie to Hart

Introduce those 5 players
bring up frost next yr
you'd have courtier, Hughes, Patrick, Frost as the 4 centers

along with a suddenly deep and top tier defensive unit

People would be excited again

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Your obsession with punishing the players for not being able to float a failure of a coach all on their own is sad.

Remember when you bailed JVR as the key player who puts the team into winning position? You were so confident that you proclaimed we would finally be able to judge Hak. Well, how has that panned out? The usage of JVR has been laughable and he's regressed under Hak. What's your judgement of Hak, since you proclaimed the roster good enough to pass judgement?

I wanted Stastny (so did Hextall), JVR was the consolation prize.

Problem is Vorobyev turned out to be fool's gold, Rubtsov got hurt, and the Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek line couldn't recapture their finish last year (shades of Weise - Couts and Weal from 3 years ago).

JVR is a talented player, and better than advertised (more responsible defensively than Voracek, and a much better passer than I expected), but right now is a bad fit. If Hextall had landed a veteran 3C like Bozak, he'd have been a fine addition, but not with Patrick or Laughton.

Sometimes things don't work out - this team needs to be reshaped, not because they lack talent, but because the talent they have doesn't fit together well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How's this for a dream scenario?

Win the lottery
sign Erik Karlsson
Panarin
trade for a 25-28 yr old dman who is a good player who is a defensive stalwart.
acquire a bridge goalie to Hart

Stay away from EK, damaged goods.
Panarin is interesting, so is Stone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
THE PLAYERS ARE UBER-TALENTED, FIRE THE COACH AND EVERYTHING WILL BE HUNKY-DORY.
JUST BRING UP THE KIDS AND THEY WON'T STRUGGLE WITH A NEW COACH.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think we have a sure fire playoff spot if Q comes in tomorrow. But I think we have a good chance at it. This team is strong enough to get the points needed without Hak screwing things up. No one really screw me in our division. It’s good the caps are running away with it. Pitt is 4 games over .500 and we’re just below us in the standings. The jackets will likely lose their vezina goalie and maybe their best forward.

I think if we get a good goalie like Howard we are going to win a lot. If you look at the rest of the schedule, we are going to win a lot of games with a good coach even if we go with stolie and Elliot.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
@deadhead, your problem has and it seems like it always will be is your failure to recognize that people want the coach to be fired and also for the roster to have changes.

I’m not for just plugging in kids into the lineup if they aren’t ready. But I’m also not for punishing the young roster players currently because they make mistakes. His job is to coach, not punish. Sitting kids when they make mistakes is setting the tone that you can’t make mistakes. That will make players play hesitant and scared. Other nhl teams have been adjusting to letting these kids learn the game on the fly as they are ready. What Hakstol believes is punishing these kids and sitting them. Only so much you can learn from the press box. Maybe instead of playing Macdonald 20 minutes a night bump Sanheim into the 17-19 minute range. Give him some leeway. Let the kid actually have an opportunity to flourish.

Roster moves are needed. But to sit here and act like Hakstol hasn’t run his coarse and realistically improved his coaching in anyway is an embarrassment. The same issue with line matching and lineups still plagues a coach who seems to be stuck in a different era of hockey. Snot and piss isn’t winning hockey games anymore in a regular basis. Skill and speed is. We need to improve in that regard. We have a young nucleus that can help but we have assets to really improve this team from the outside. It’s a matter of when and I believe it will more than likely come in the offseason. Not in season. Tough to make big deals in that regard because of teams cap situations and off season plans.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t think we have a sure fire playoff spot if Q comes in tomorrow. But I think we have a good chance at it. This team is strong enough to get the points needed without Hak screwing things up. No one really screw me in our division. It’s good the caps are running away with it. Pitt is 4 games over .500 and we’re just below us in the standings. The jackets will likely lose their vezina goalie and maybe their best forward.

I think if we get a good goalie like Howard we are going to win a lot. If you look at the rest of the schedule, we are going to win a lot of games with a good coach even if we go with stolie and Elliot.

I don't even care if we miss at this point. I just want to see the team resemble the Flyers I know and love again. They should be difficult to play against. They should be having fun. We should be having fun watching them.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@deadhead, your problem has and it seems like it always will be is your failure to recognize that people want the coach to be fired and also for the roster to have changes.

I’m not for just plugging in kids into the lineup if they aren’t ready. But I’m also not for punishing the young roster players currently because they make mistakes. His job is to coach, not punish. Sitting kids when they make mistakes is setting the tone that you can’t make mistakes. That will make players play hesitant and scared. Other nhl teams have been adjusting to letting these kids learn the game on the fly as they are ready. What Hakstol believes is punishing these kids and sitting them. Only so much you can learn from the press box. Maybe instead of playing Macdonald 20 minutes a night bump Sanheim into the 17-19 minute range. Give him some leeway. Let the kid actually have an opportunity to flourish.

Roster moves are needed. But to sit here and act like Hakstol hasn’t run his coarse and realistically improved his coaching in anyway is an embarrassment. The same issue with line matching and lineups still plagues a coach who seems to be stuck in a different era of hockey. Snot and piss isn’t winning hockey games anymore in a regular basis. Skill and speed is. We need to improve in that regard. We have a young nucleus that can help but we have assets to really improve this team from the outside. It’s a matter of when and I believe it will more than likely come in the offseason. Not in season. Tough to make big deals in that regard because of teams cap situations and off season plans.

His problem is a desparate desire for attention.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wanted Stastny (so did Hextall), JVR was the consolation prize.

Problem is Vorobyev turned out to be fool's gold, Rubtsov got hurt, and the Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek line couldn't recapture their finish last year (shades of Weise - Couts and Weal from 3 years ago).

JVR is a talented player, and better than advertised (more responsible defensively than Voracek, and a much better passer than I expected), but right now is a bad fit. If Hextall had landed a veteran 3C like Bozak, he'd have been a fine addition, but not with Patrick or Laughton.

Sometimes things don't work out - this team needs to be reshaped, not because they lack talent, but because the talent they have doesn't fit together well.

You missed the question.

Under Babcock, JVR turned into a really effective player who went to the hard areas for goals. Under Hakstol, JVR is once again a perimeter floater. He has regressed massively, as have numerous other players. With that stark reality in mind, what is your judgement of Hakstol's usage of these players? Do you think it is ideal?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't even care if we miss at this point. I just want to see the team resemble the Flyers I know and love again. They should be difficult to play against. They should be having fun. We should be having fun watching them.
I care bc I hate not watching playoff hockey although I am getting used to it. But 100% agree I just want to have fun watching games again. This team has a lot of dynamic players. It should be fun. This isn’t just boring, it’s frustrating and enfuriating to watch.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know how they could possibly make the playoffs with their current state of goaltending. And it's not the coach making the goalies bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad