GDT: [GM 19] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | Nov 21 | 7:30PM PST | SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
How’s Bear been playing? I haven’t watched much since he joined the team. Any hope he could be a long term OEL partner?

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
per game....Miller and Myers are also good for some egregious giveaways as well..

For the record,I said right off the bat when BB scratched Burroughs that Stillman was more the liability.

I will stand by my point that this game won’t be won or lost by Stillman..It will be decided by the core group and the goalie.

There is an obsession here on HF Canucks blaming bottom of the roster players for losses ..when the ire should be directed at the big ticket players who are paid to make the difference.

I disagree. Our team isn't the only one with stars that need to show up. What if their stars show up too, and the game is loss by a single goal off a Stillman turnover or Stillman coughs up a goal that kills all the team momentum?

I usually agree with if your best players are your best player, you'll win more games than not but against elite teams who also have their share of star players, usually more, you'll need a bit of lucky and have a margin of error for zero. In that case, a liability like Stillman could be directly responsible for a Loss.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
We need to have the better goalie first and foremost. EP, JT and Bo gotta keep hawt.

No Stillman would be very nice, I didn't think he was that bad the first few games, but now can definitely see him costing a game that was otherwise played in favor.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Interestingly, Canucks are .500 hockey club in November: 4-4-1. Of course the big problem is they went 2-5-2 in October. These next three games are incredibly important for the rest of the season. Win at least one and they have a chance to at least somewhat salvage the month. Still doesn't help their chances at realistically competing for a playoff spot. Canucks have to go around 8-5-1 in November to start making up ground and they are perilously close to falling even further behind. As it stands now they've kind of just tread water.

Which is what I'm afraid we'll do all season. I could just be jaded from the Benning era of clinging to playoff delusions but so far JR hasn't exactly instilled any sort of confidence we aren't treading down the same path. Maybe just with less picks thrown into the abyss.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
How’s Bear been playing? I haven’t watched much since he joined the team. Any hope he could be a long term OEL partner?
Bear has been a very pleasant surprise. Outside of one game in which he was probably gassed from not having played much, he's been solid and largely mistake free. Really strong along the boards which I found surprising as he's not very big.

OEL syncs really well with him, and that pairing has been defensively our best. OEL gets running around scrambling with Myers, but Bear stabilizes him as he is fundamentally a very sound defenseman.

Still find the Stillman trade really stupid and it cost us a 2nd. Very undecided with this management as its hit and miss (and more often the latter)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Which is what I'm afraid we'll do all season. I could just be jaded from the Benning era of clinging to playoff delusions but so far JR hasn't exactly instilled any sort of confidence we aren't treading down the same path. Maybe just with less picks thrown into the abyss.

Down a 2nd, a 3rd, a 5th. Also Myrenberg.

Not afraid to trade them.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I disagree. Our team isn't the only one with stars that need to show up. What if their stars show up too, and the game is loss by a single goal off a Stillman turnover or Stillman coughs up a goal that kills all the team momentum?

I usually agree with if your best players are your best player, you'll win more games than not but against elite teams who also have their share of star players, usually more, you'll need a bit of lucky and have a margin of error for zero. In that case, a liability like Stillman could be directly responsible for a Loss.
The Canucks just never seem to be firing on all cylinders ..ever....Generally, the other teams star players do show up...Connor McDavid and Draisatl always show up against the Canucks..Our star players see to completely fall off the map.

Last season, Pettersson was pretty anonymous until the last quarter...The only core forward who was going was Miller....This season, 'franchise goalie' Thatcher Demko has been one of the worst goalies in the league...and that has been the predominant meat of the matter..not 3rd pairing D man Riley Stillman.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The Canucks just never seem to be firing on all cylinders ..ever....Generally, the other teams star players do show up...Connor McDavid and Draisatl always show up against the Canucks..Our star players see to completely fall off the map.

Last season, Pettersson was pretty anonymous until the last quarter...The only core forward who was going was Miller....This season, 'franchise goalie' Thatcher Demko has been one of the worst goalies in the league...and that has been the predominant meat of the matter..not 3rd pairing D man Riley Stillman.
feels counterproductive to do multiple double downs on a group that is so frustrating to try and will into consistency

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
per game....Miller and Myers are also good for some egregious giveaways as well..

For the record,I said right off the bat when BB scratched Burroughs that Stillman was more the liability.

I will stand by my point that this game won’t be won or lost by Stillman..It will be decided by the core group and the goalie.

There is an obsession here on HF Canucks blaming bottom of the roster players for losses ..when the ire should be directed at the big ticket players who are paid to make the difference.

Some of it is just low hanging fruit. There's clearly better options healthy and on the roster, so why keep dressing the inferior player? I mean that turnover from behind his net with like 4 seconds left in the period is really about as awful a play as you will see at the NHL.

Need to build off our first 60 minute effort vs LAK. Of course we've had the Kings' number recently, so need to show up and prove we can do it against other teams. Bruce is still here, so hopefully the players rally around him and get a winning streak going here.

Reactions: sting101

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Man, so much this. Either narrowly miss the playoffs and get a pick in the middle of every round or eke in and get demolished and draft even worse.
“Playoff Fever” and a never ending empty cupboard.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
We have analytics folks in the organization and these guys should be suggesting personnel choices, and management and coaching should be working in unison to determine the best possible lineup that can be iced. I know statistics don't always present an accurate story from game to game but we have seen a large enough sample sized to suggest Burroughs is indeed better than Stillman in the lineup.

My biggest issue is Rathbones development right now. It serves zero purpose, right now and long-term to keep him in the pressbox. Get him down to the AHL asap. With Dermott back, this likely happens in due time but f***, this is a young player that's seen 6 games in the span of 6 weeks. Just totally stupid.

Brings me to my next point. You are carrying 8 defensemen which is ok, but guys like Myers/OEL should be drawing out once in a while. Load management is a thing and these guys have looked totally done at times. It would be sensible to do a rotation with Burroughs drawing in.

Nothing will change until we see an alignment of philosophy between ownership, management and coaching. It's still a f***ing mess.
I'm guessing you've never played hockey, or any sports at all, unlike me, but I don't want to speak so highly of myself so I'll just say that when I played, I was generally much better than everyone else.

Anywho, I'm here to let you know that hockey is a sport best learned by watching other players play the game. That's the Vancouver Canucks way, the blue print, their strategy, and it's the foundation on which this successful organization sits.

Your welcome.

There's not a chance this club loses this game. Things have turned the corner. The rust is off. Look at the depth on that third pairing? Their third line is the envy of the league. Speed, size, grit and finish. Really, it's more like a first line.

Vegass sucks. etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
At a pick deficit for this year and next as a team that needs to be rebuilt.

They’re at a deficit of one pick (5th and 7th but an extra 4th) as of right now. It’s silly to grouse about it now when there’s quite a bit of time for the draft pick situation to get better or worse.

Reactions: racerjoe

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I've been surprised at our wins the last two games, but these 2 games against Vegas are going to be very, very tough. I personally thought that they weren't going to be as good this season, but they've been looking like a top-3 team with a 57.83 xGF% at even strength and 2nd in the league in high danger chances for. They're absolutely going to need another high level Demko performance like he did against the Kings.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I've been surprised at our wins the last two games, but these 2 games against Vegas are going to be very, very tough. I personally thought that they weren't going to be as good this season, but they've been looking like a top-3 team with a 57.83 xGF% at even strength and 2nd in the league in high danger chances for. They're absolutely going to need another high level Demko performance like he did against the Kings.
He actually didnt.

The puck just didnt go in this time.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yea Demko was still a bit shaky, which I think is good. It's still a step forward, and he has another gear or 2 to hit. If he can put up average games with 1-2GA, recover form and go beast mode, we will be okay.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I've really liked Bear. Good contributor on the ice, and a very easy guy to cheer for off it - seems like a really pleasant guy and a good teammate.

Hopefully the team is wearing their big boy pants for this one. Vegas has had a hot start, and they've traditionally had our number, too - hopefully they show up ready to play, and Demko carries his positive momentum from the LA game into this one.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I've really liked Bear. Good contributor on the ice, and a very easy guy to cheer for off it - seems like a really pleasant guy and a good teammate.

Hopefully the team is wearing their big boy pants for this one. Vegas has had a hot start, and they've traditionally had our number, too - hopefully they show up ready to play, and Demko carries his positive momentum from the LA game into this one.
Anyone see his intermission interview in buffalo? Basically it was

- work hard
- everyone contributes
- shift at a time
- grateful for opportunity

Whether 6th dman or 12th forward this is the attitude that is needed

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’d like to see a win tonight against a superior opponent, I’m pretty convinced this is the bulk of the team going forward and we aren’t gonna get anything close to a tear down rebuild so unless this group can hang with the big boys we’ve got serious concerns. The team can land anywhere in the standings this year I don’t have any expectations where, but I want to see sound decisions based off a plan. If we are gonna retool I need to know this is a team worth retooling around, we’ve all seen it where they are the best team in the ice for 80% of the game and then garbage, last season we kicked but for 4 games and we’re dreadful for the next 2…. If JR/Allvin are able to pull off some moves I’m all for that

As far as tonight goes give me the Petey show I wanna see dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad