Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks lost to Calgary Flames | 5-6 (OT) | Sprong, Boeser(2), Garland, & Miller | Not Good Enough

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Here in Vancouver, supporting your players is not a thing.
How long do we have to baby the $11.6M Pettersson?

Pettersson getting shit on after 1 game was the most predictable thing ever. 3 point game minimum for this Pejorative Slured fanbase to not crucify him every game.
Oh come on! This isn't about the points per game and you know it.

Reactions: Regal

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Pettersson getting shit on after 1 game was the most predictable thing ever. 3 point game minimum for this Pejorative Slured fanbase to not crucify him every game.
Yep. 1 game. Not the 2nd half of last season + playoffs. Not the pre-season as well. Just 1 game.

It should be pretty concerning he had an entire off-season to get his head on straight and he looks the same as last season.

This isn't a guy taking up $3 mil in cap space. He's locked up long term with a huge chunk of cap space. He needs to play like a 11.6M player for the Canucks to have a chance at winning the cup.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
- Hughes obviously made a great play on the tying goal but looked a bit off to me overall. Also wish he'd use Hronek a bit more instead of forcing everything himself. Obviously the last guy I'm concerned about, though.

- The entire team seemed to stop trying after the 1st but still not good enough from Silovs. Would be shocked if Lankinen doesn't get the next one.

- Miller showed up physically and on the score sheet but did make several bozo plays. Bad pass on the Mantha SHG goal and another one with the empty net that Hughes bailed him out on. But like with Hughes, also not someone I'm concerned about.

- As for someone who I am concerned about... Pettersson. Freshly signed 12M contract and he's not even good enough to start 3on3 OT, that's bonkers. Honestly if you were to describe his game to another Canucks fan without saying his name they probably would think you're talking about Suter. If he didn't finish last season the way he did I wouldn't think anything of it but it's just more of the same. At his salary he should be a factor almost every shift, full stop.

- Willing to give Desharnais more time with the coaching staff to see if he can sort his game out, but Forbort cannot skate and therefore may not be playable 5on5 whatsoever.

- Overall, it's game 1, shit happens. Need to see a lot more to make any concrete judgments.

Reactions: sting101

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don’t even care about the defence right now, we just need to hold the line until the trade deadline.

Everybody knows we’re getting a top 4 D at the deadline this year, it’s going to happen, it’s not an if it’s a when.

And there is a very high probability willander is going to play the last 10 games for us at the end of the season as well.

Which completely reshapes our defence at the bottom

Reactions: Jay26 and kanucks25

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
He just seems kind of miserable, and for a while I have wondered if a Bure situation is looming.
Bure got screwed by Quinn and the organization. He was promised American money and got paid in Canadian. I understand why he wanted out. Pettersson was forced to sign a new deal but just got paid handsomely. I could see him being upset but I don't see him being screwed, rather pressured into making a decision.

Its only one game but either way I just hope Pettersson finds himself.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Honestly the 3rd pairing was decent it was overall team defence, lack of structure/new guys, puck management, Silvos poor play, breakdowns/mistakes, D was actually good (Hughes couldn’t catch Mantha, Hronek got walked, it’s all about team defence).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yep. 1 game. Not the 2nd half of last season + playoffs. Not the pre-season as well. Just 1 game.

It should be pretty concerning he had an entire off-season to get his head on straight and he looks the same as last season.

This isn't a guy taking up $3 mil in cap space. He's locked up long term with a huge chunk of cap space. He needs to play like a 11.6M player for the Canucks to have a chance at winning the cup.
Spot on

just22

Aug 2, 2009
With average goaltending we win tonight.

Canucks will be scoring a lot of goals this year I think, and they’re gonna need to cause goaltending and defense is trash so far.

Reactions: David71

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I mean you can shit on him all you want
I have no desire to shit on him but I'm going to call it like I see it. He's had time. He got his contract. He's in his prime now. There's really nothing he can lean on or fans can lean on to pretend there's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: kanucks25

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Bure got screwed by Quinn and the organization. He was promised American money and got paid in Canadian. I understand why he wanted out. Pettersson was forced to sign a new deal but just got paid handsomely. I could see him being upset but I don't see him being screwed, rather pressured into making a decision.

Its only one game but either way I just hope Pettersson finds himself.
I don't mean the reasons are the same (and BTW Bure never signed the C$ contract, he was just annoyed by the offer), but rather that the Canucks could find themselves with a malcontent star player in his prime and have to figure out how to move him at some point.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I still don’t get the third pairing. Zadorov was big but he wasn’t a pylon.

Desharnais was on the 3rd pair of the Oilers who went to the Finals, Forbort was on the 3rd pair of the Bruins who went to the ECF, both were excellent penalty killers for their respective teams, our D is solid just give them time to adjust to new teams/systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad