Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks lost to Calgary Flames | 5-6 (OT) | Sprong, Boeser(2), Garland, & Miller | Not Good Enough

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Only one game and I am already scared to death of Pettersson bombing, our 3rd pairing and our goaltending until Demko gets back. I know there's rust, but that was pathetic.

Happy to have a point.

Reactions: VanCanucks53

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Demko makes a difference here, as he can save us when the play is sloppy. Tighten up on Friday and get Lankinen in goal.

Reactions: Zanon

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
This D ain’t gonna hold up over the course of the season. We need a top 4 D to push everyone’s roles down. Maybe instead of Hronek, it would be a steady, fleet of foot guy, like a Hanifin.

Reactions: thefeebster

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
Too early to hit the panic button but all of the team’s reasonable doubts heading into the season were on full display tonight. EP looking like a shadow of his former self, Silovs not up to the task, third pairing a disaster. We really need at least 2 of these to not be true over the course of the season.

Reactions: Zanon

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
People will be heated with terrible takes because that was awful after the first. Tocchet has to get the team to tighten up, as we've already blown as many leads as we did all of last year going into the third.

The real concerns for me going forward are the third pairing and goaltending. Silovs was god awful tonight, you score 5 and let up 25 shots, you shouldn't be losing. Third pairing couldn't pass or defend.

Everything else is fixable, but the goaltending and third pairing are the things that scare me the most after today.
Yeah I thought we had a lot of chance to score even in the 3rd but goaltending really let the team down. You can tell when it was 4-3 the team was kinda nervous.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
People will be heated with terrible takes because that was awful after the first. Tocchet has to get the team to tighten up, as we've already blown as many leads as we did all of last year going into the third.

The real concerns for me going forward are the third pairing and goaltending. Silovs was god awful tonight, you score 5 and let up 25 shots, you shouldn't be losing. Third pairing couldn't pass or defend.

Everything else is fixable, but the goaltending and third pairing are the things that scare me the most after today.
Desharnais is as advertised. I can see why many Oiler fans hated this guy. Tends to miss assignments and turnover pucks under minor pressure.

Forbort used to be a decent #4/#5 guy 5-6 years ago but his legs are gone and he doesn't have the mobility to play at the NHL level anymore.

Myers is Myers. Can be a #4 guy with a very good partner but ideally a #5 guy at this stage of his career.

We need a legitimate 2nd pairing guy right now. Call Friedman up to take Forborts spot.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Silovs still showing the same flaws he had in the playoffs, can’t track long shots and gets himself out of position too easily.

Bright side, we didn’t lose 6-0

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Well, at least the wakeup call came in game 1 and we still got a point.

Lots to unpack, a lot that should be unsurprising:

- Silovs still can't track pucks from distance

- Shocking lack of urgency / spontaneous offence (particularly from one individual)

- 3D pair is not it (who could have guessed)

- Sprong not getting the trust from another coach (yet)

I actually liked a lot of performances from some guys, especially with some offensive pop by the Raty line and Blueger, but that's overshadowed by how all our trees turned to pylons in the DZ.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Silovs couldn't bail them out when mistakes were made.

Third pairing got hemmed in constantly

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
This current defense will not cut it in the playoffs.

Need major upgrade eventually by trade deadline.

Its early but Forbort-Desharnais aint it

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Ep lazy soft f..k Miller gets us a point rest went on a beer break after 1st coaches kick some ass hack some nuts unexcusable loss

Reactions: Ghetty Green

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Silovs looking like Spencer Martin. No idea where the puck is.

It's worrisome because a new goalie can look good for a month or 2, then they get figured out. Remember Spencer Martin looked good at first. This is probly what is happening to Silovs.
he doesn’t want to play in the AHL but plays like one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad