Give me some explanations, why Canadian hockey fans are reacting so strange

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
People on this board are not representative of the average hockey fan. Everyone here is probably more passionate about their own team than others, and they also have way more interaction with other fanbases on here which drives more rivalries.

I can’t speak for other cities but in Toronto there were many Canadians cheering for Edmonton despite what people here would have you believe. I was out watching the game last night and 99% of the bar was cheering for Edmonton and I saw similar for earlier games in the playoffs as well.
This is the correct answer. I am by far the biggest hockey fan in my extended family (and definitely the only one who frequents online chat boards). I honestly didn't care who won, I just wanted good hockey. Every other member of my family was pulling for Edmonton. Took the kids to BPs for dinner during game 6, and the place erupted whenever Oilers scored. This was just outside Vancouver, BC.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
They certainly could, but the real question is: Why would they?

The notion that simply being based in Canada suddenly makes them Canada's team is kind of silly.

Over the top blind "patriotism" is much more common south of the border.
True and the current Canucks roster ironically has only 3 Canadians and are mostly American. There are lots of Canadians that are fans of the Bruins, the Hawks, Rangers...just depends on what team you attached yourself to as a kid.

Also there are hockey fans who enjoy watching the game, so I like watching good skilled teams with lots of character.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

For my part: I prefer Canada...

SO: Can anyone give me some explanations.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
Go ask Man United fans why they were cheering for Man City to win the league over Arsenal the last two seasons. They literally been cucked in their own city and preferred their "old rival" never win again. That's sports.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What’s the logic for cheering for another Canadian based team? Once their team is eliminated people generally cheer for the remaining team that they like the best. Florida has a good claim for being such a team since they made the SCF last year, had an incredibly tough path to the Finals again this year, generally had likeable players and had never won a Cup yet.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I cheer for the Canadian teams when the Kings aren't in it or perhaps Seattle in the Future mainly because Hockey is the Greatest Sport in the World by Far...and the most difficult to Master plus you aren't exactly on Terra Firma and with Knives for Blades on which to balance and stride and power yourself with! No other Sport compares

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
At this stage in Canada, after 30+ years of the cup being in the US, whichever Canadian franchise breaks the curse will have extra ammunition in our petty dick measuring contest in HF. And their fans will be extra unbearable. Hence here, hardcore fans only root for their club teams. Casual fans (most) do want the cup to "come home" up North.

It's hard for Europeans to grasp just how big N.America is, KHL following Russians will understand also, our east coast and west coast have very different climates and cultures. Patriotism in sports work differently here.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
At this stage in Canada, after 30+ years of the cup being in the US, whichever Canadian franchise breaks the curse will have extra ammunition in our petty dick measuring contest in HF. And their fans will be extra unbearable. Hence here, hardcore fans only root for their club teams. Casual fans (most) do want the cup to "come home" up North.
This casual fan tend to root for the Canadian teams.

People that engage in online, living room, bar hockey "fight", want their team to be the one that break the curse not another Canadian one. A "neutral" without life long rivalry would not be so bad (say Ottawa-Jets, well maybe by now Toronto and Sens is a good one), but one of Mtl-Toronto-Oilers-Van-Flames.... no way they will root for them for a large part of the other fanbase.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Part of it too is Canadian fans want their team to be the ones to break the drought.
Exactly. If your city has a team, they will cheer for them. I mean, is the Big10 cheering for Michigan to win the National Title? You think Michigan St. or OSU is doing that? Nope....

The Territories, Maritimes, Sask, can cheer for them. But don't expect most of BC, MB, ON, QC to do that.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
They play for Edmonton, not Canada, simple as that. This isn’t an international competition where we ALL cheer for Canada

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Paul Maurice thanked the city of Winnipeg and Jets fans.

Matthew Tkachuk thanked the city of Calgary and Flames fans.

Roberto Luongo thanked the city of Vancouver and Canucks fans.

We appreciated the love back.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz

So, I'll preface by stating that I do find it weird that fans from other canadian teams feel so insulted that the media pushed "Cup in Canada" thing, but then actively cheer against Edmonton because it's a Canadian team. Personally, I'm a Habs fan and cheered for Edmonton, not out of a sense of patriotic/anti-patriotic duty, but because it had the best and most exciting player in the league on that team.

The one way I can rationalize it, is that they want their own team to bring back the Cup to Canada, or something like that. So, in a sense, they care too much.

That said, to answer some of your questions:

"Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!"

No, or at least, it's not significant. In 2021, 23% of the population was a landed immigrant - from what I understand, in their lifetime (not like, previous generations or anything). The Daily — Immigrants make up the largest share of the population in over 150 years and continue to shape who we are as Canadians

Obviously this number is higher today, with record numbers of immigrations since 2021. Coupled with multiculturalism instead of integration, patriotism is out the window.

Also, go on google maps. Calculate the distance from say, Calgary to Edmonton. Vancouver to Edmonton. Toronto to Edmonton. Montreal to Edmonton. By car, by flights. All these people basically live in different countries of their own.

I live in Ontario, a direct flight to Miami is 1hr shorter than a direct flight to Edmonton.

It's just mindblowing to think that people would have strong connections to a team from a city thousands of kilometers away, just because it falls under the same country.

ALSO, the NHL has no concept of country competitions, the competition is between teams... that's it.

"And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?"

Take a look at population density in other cities across Canada. Now compare to US ones. I'll give you a hint; small population densities, not worth it in 99% of cases.

Hamilton might have the size, but it's surrounded by Toronto and Buffalo. Politic issue.
Quebec city built a whole arena and had the money for it (at least in terms of a rich guy wanting to buy a team), but the NHL said no.

It's not a lack of interest from Canadian cities, it's a lack of interest from the league.

Who needs a Utah hockey club? Utah hockey fans I guess.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Maybe it's an ESL thing but it's more strange that Europeans seems to associate the NHL with nationalities.

This ain't the Olympics.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Well, if it comes to two teams from Alberta like Edmonton and Calgary, I can slightly understand ist. But why couldn't a Toronto fan cheer for - let us say - the Canucks in a final against a US team?
You’ll find/see that it’s not cheering against other Canadian teams, it’s more cheering against fan bases. Most Canadian markets have large fan bases that are usually quiet and less vocal when a team is doing poorly but come out in droves when the team starts to get a bit of success.

This leads to fans wishing for failure on the team due to obnoxious fans. It’s a very “if my team isn’t going to win, neither should yours” attitude.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The canadian angle is more prevalent among casual fans.

You won't find casual fans on this message board. Here, it is a more tribal mentality towards the domestic team.

Reactions: Coffey

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This isn't USA vs Canada, despite some idiots at the bar screaming USA when Florida scored...

Reactions: 1989

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Everyone has their reasons. I was pulling for the Oilers because I have friends and family who are fans, and just because I have to endure decades of disappointment, doesn't mean they have to. But I probably wouldn't have rooted for them otherwise, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad