Give me some explanations, why Canadian hockey fans are reacting so strange

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The only Canadian teams I would cheer for dont exist

Lethbridge
Victoria
Markham
Hamilton
Quebec City

Im sure if they got teams somehow, I would hate them too

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think there are two things:
(1) Canadian teams generally have big fanbases across the country and a large presence online, so even if they're not in your division, there's more of a rivalry with other Canadian teams and their fans than there is with say Florida. I honestly don't think I've ever met a Florida fan in real life, but have known dozens of Oilers fans.
(2) Now that the Canada drought has gone on for so long, to the point of absurdity, we all want OUR team to be the one to break it. Don't want Oiler fans (for example) hanging it over our heads that they broke the drought.

In saying that, I did want McDavid to win, to help cement his legacy.
This is it. When you're a fan of a Canadian team everyone who cheers for a different Canadian team "hates" you. (Especially true for Habs and leafs).

I've never met a panthers fan in my life who could rub this in my face, but I know fans of just about every Canadian team who would love to tell me how much the habs suck.

You learn at a young age that other Canadian fam bases are more your rivals than your comrades. Why would you suddenly want them to win just because your team lost? It's really not rocket science OP clearly hasn't spent much time listening to Canadian teams fan bases go back and forth. The "Canadas team " narrative never made any sense to me because the fans of those teams were always the ones telling me how much they can't stand the habs and their fanbase.

The breaking of the drought is another one, every team wants to be the one to do it, not someone else. Maybe the one time I was somewhat cheering for a Canadian team in the finals was in 2011 because obviously I didn't want the bruins to win. Other than that I've always cheered for the Canadian teams finals opponents

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Hallzy

Mar 18, 2022
The whole Canadian team winning the cup thing is stupid and overblown. I don't care if another Canadian team wins, I want MY Canadian team to win. Heck as a Canucks fan if we would have won it would have been due to the Swedes and Americans that lead the charge. The only thing Canadian is the teams location. I dont want to listen to Oilers, Leafs, Habs, Flames, Jets, or Sens fans go on about how they "brought the cup back to Canada".

I hope I see good hockey and that the best team wins. I wasn't "cheering" for Florida, but I surely wasn't hoping for an Edmonton win.

Olympics, Worlds, WJC, U18s - thats when I care about the championship coming to Canada and we can all be buddy buddy. Until then Go Nucks and the rest don't matter!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
1) NHL has no national borders there is no national pride in it, many of us don't care who wins the cup if its not our team.

2) Media, in Canada hockey is by far the main sport. We understand if another Canadian team wins it all we will hear is about their team for the next year+ how great their team is which is annoying. Especially true regarding the Leafs or Habs and the media bc its all money driven so the media panders to them ALOT.

3) Social media, similar to reason 2, the coverage of it would be huge in Canada. If thats not your team who won it would become annoying.

4) Fans, bigger the fan base, bigger the group of annoying rude fans it has who believe their team is the greatest ever. If a team won the cup rest of Canada would be forced to listen to that crap for a year+.

For the record I didn't hope against the Oilers, I've never had any issues with Oiler fans......but I didn't hope for them either. I literally didn't care who won the cup, I didn't even watch the final game thats how little I cared. I just wanted it done so we could move on to the draft, trades and FA signings. I don't get why someone would think or expect we would cheer for another Canadian team, they certainly don't represent Canada or my city so why would I care. Again I didn't cheer against them, I just didn't care even 1%.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Canadian teams have some of the most intense rivalries in the league. It's crazy to think that fans would park them for the playoffs. I'm thrilled that Edmonton lost, it made my day. Florida I don't care about, I've never met a born and bred Panthers fan in my life and certainly never had to deal with Panther fan taunts or gloating. Good for them winning the cup.

OP, do those super-heated rival teams in Euro soccer ever set aside their grievances and cheer for each other? Some of those teams have riot police at the stadium every time they play a derby... when one of them makes it to UEFA Champions League or whatever, do the bitter rivals suddenly cheer for them because they're from the same country? Seems hard to believe.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

For my part: I prefer Canada...

SO: Can anyone give me some explanations.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
It could be worse as we are pretty much at the point where Kings fans don’t want the Kings to fluke a win, because it’d mean another decade of BLuc :naughty:

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
People on this board are not representative of the average hockey fan. Everyone here is probably more passionate about their own team than others, and they also have way more interaction with other fanbases on here which drives more rivalries.

I can’t speak for other cities but in Toronto there were many Canadians cheering for Edmonton despite what people here would have you believe. I was out watching the game last night and 99% of the bar was cheering for Edmonton and I saw similar for earlier games in the playoffs as well.

Reactions: Nunymare

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Because there is no Canadian teams, or American teams- there are just teams.

Flames or Habs fans have ZERO reasons to cheer for Oilers... And even if they have, being "Canadian team" is not one of them.

BTW- OP says he's from Austria- does soccer fans of Austria Wien cheer for Rapid Wien when they play? Or vice versa? Or maybe not so much?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
People on this board are not representative of the average hockey fan. Everyone here is probably more passionate about their own team than others, and they also have way more interaction with other fanbases on here which drives more rivalries.

I can’t speak for other cities but in Toronto there were many Canadians cheering for Edmonton despite what people here would have you believe. I was out watching the game last night and 99% of the bar was cheering for Edmonton and I saw similar for earlier games in the playoffs as well.
This is basically what everyone is saying.

Casual fans and neutral hockey fans in Canada will hop on thelast team standing bandwagon. Any die hard will likely cheer against them. A lot of people are casual fans and only watch the finals or if they're at the bar or whatever. My mom probably can't name any finals match ups ever unless a Canadian team makes it because the media goes crazy covering it, and then she will "cheer" for them. She might watch a few games even. I think most people are like that, this board is absolutely skewed towards the more fanatical side

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Canadian team fan bases are annoying, and many Canadian diehard fans who engage on website forums or social media, are annoyed/hate other Canadian teams.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For me, if someone is to break the Canadian Cup draught, I want it to be my team.... Not my rivals team.

We come together for International hockey not for the NHL. Similar to football in Europe in some ways.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Because the league has been 50-90% Canadian altheletes since it's inception. The notion that Canada doesn't win a cup because the team isn't Canadian based always seemed weird. Canadians win the cup every year, they bring it home to Canadian communities every off season. The notion I should cheer for some random team because they are in the same country is dumb. I am sure the islanders would be happy to cheer the Devils or Rangers in the cup final right? I mean it's a New York team right?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Our own media rams the 'Canada's team' nonsense down our throat and as you've seen or been explained we don't really care that another team is from Canada. The NHL isn't a show of nationalistic pride - it's not the Olympics.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Most of Canada cheered for the same team in this final so that's kind of like unity if you really think about it.
Tell me something do you think GM Bill Zito put in a word to the Ice Crew to f*** with the ice surface in Sunrise and make it doubly shitty for high Powered Offensive teams to do well...its an old tactic from the distant distant past...first period looked like the game was going to end 6-5,5-4 at the least instead it along with the Officiating turned into a Shit-Show

• Haha
Reactions: RogerRoger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad