Give me some explanations, why Canadian hockey fans are reacting so strange

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Always wondered if the majority of Canadians root for the Blue Jays in baseball (particularly Expos fans) and the Raptors in basketball considering they are Toronto teams? I assume they would follow the US team nearest their city rather than support a Toronto team.

OWI

Jun 25, 2024
Pure idiocy from Canadian sports media, as per usual.

Every year they trot out the "Canada's Team" bullshit, or another "it's been ___ years since...." sob story and why we should all jump on the bandwagon.

It never works.

Ever.
Just for the record: I am not the Canadian sports media. Just a fan from Austria.

• Wow
Reactions: QuizGuy66

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It doesn’t make any sense to cheer for a team jsut because it’s located in Canada. The players on most NHL teams are like half Canadians. Should we cheer for those teams with the highest proportion of Canadians? That would actually make more sense.

You don’t see Americans cheering for other American teams jsut because they’re American. Why should Canadians do so? Seems like a weird idea all around.

OWI

Jun 25, 2024
Let me put this in terms Europeans can understand.

Were Barcelona fans cheering for Real Madrid in the Champions League Final to win it for Spain?

Didn't think so.
Not the Barcelona fans. But for other cities in Spain, I am sure they wanted a Spanish club to win. But okay: Fans in North America are apparently different...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just for the record: I am not the Canadian sports media. Just a fan from Austria.

Was merely answering your question as to why this happens every year.

It really is like that here, and yes it does happen every single time. :laugh:

I'm sure Canadian restaurant chain Boston Pizza will try again next year, run the same tired commercials ad nauseum, and get laughed at once more.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not the Barcelona fans. But for other cities in Spain, I am sure they wanted a Spanish club to win. But okay: Fans in North America are apparently different...
If you asked a random sample of Canadians outside of this forum, you'd probably get a mix of people cheering for a Canadian team, people cheering against, and people not caring.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
But that’s because the champions league is fundamentally different - each country’s league sends a certain number of teams, so they are “representing” their country in a real sense. There is nothing similar in North American sports.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
My IRL experience was that nearly everyone was cheering for McDavid to win the cup. It's true that most Canadians don't care about a Canadian team winning, but I think a lot cared about McDavid winning.

Chronically online people aren't representative of the country at large imo.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pure idiocy from Canadian sports media, as per usual.

Every year they trot out the "Canada's Team" bullshit, or another "it's been ___ years since...." sob story and why we should all jump on the bandwagon.

It never works.

Ever.
I think that all applies to the kind of hardcore fans who would post on a hockey message board about it, but I don't think it applies to most casual fans or the general public. I couldn't possibly care less ifa Canadian team other than the Leafs win. In fact, the last thing I want to see is Ottawa or Montreal winning. Ugh.

But I think a lot of Canadians who don't follow hockey closely (or who aren't particularly obsessed with their team the way some of us are) really enjoy cheering on whatever Canadian team is left.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

For my part: I prefer Canada...

SO: Can anyone give me some explanations.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
Why do you hold fans of Canadian teams to a higher standard than fans of American teams? You're not here questioning why most Lightning fans were hoping the Oilers would win. Why not? Both the Panthers and Lighting are American teams?

Canadian fans are fans of their own team, Edmonton Alberta isn't Canada just like the Sunrise Florida isn't the United States.

OWI

Jun 25, 2024
My IRL experience was that nearly everyone was cheering for McDavid to win the cup. It's true that most Canadians don't care about a Canadian team winning, but I think a lot cared about McDavid winning.

Chronically online people aren't representative of the country at large imo.
I would hope that...

Jun 15, 2007
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz

Simple

If you are an Rapid Wien fan and your team gets eliminated from UCL, are you happy to see Austria Wien proceed?

Do Barcelona fans want Real to win if they are eliminated?

It's a club competition not a international competition.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
The NHL is a club competition, as a Jets fan Edmonton doesn't bother me too much but if any Canadian team wins the cup I want it to be the Jets.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Canadian fans mostly want their team to win, they have rivalries with everyone else north of the border.

Nucks and Flames fans, for instance, have a helluva lot more animosity towards the Oilers than they do with the Panthers, and why would any of the other teams' fanbases want another fanbase to lord it over them?

The idea of a "Canada's team" has basically always been lame media-driven nonsense. Obviously there are some that do want to see it happen, but I have a hard time believing it's anything more than a sizable minority.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's not that deep.
thats-what-she-said-michael-scott.gif

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well, if it comes to two teams from Alberta like Edmonton and Calgary, I can slightly understand ist. But why couldn't a Toronto fan cheer for - let us say - the Canucks in a final against a US team?
Toronto is different. I have many friends here who are leaf fans and I truly think they don't want to see Mcdavid win over a guy like Matthews. Just a couple seasons ago LOTS of leaf fans were saying they are close. Also the Hyman factor so there is a built in rivalry there and both have been good for a while

I noticed a lot of Ottawa fans cheering for Edm. We don't really have a rivalry with them

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think that all applies to the kind of hardcore fans who would post on a hockey message board about it, but I don't think it applies to most casual fans or the general public. I couldn't possibly care less ifa Canadian team other than the Leafs win. In fact, the last thing I want to see is Ottawa or Montreal winning. Ugh.

But I think a lot of Canadians who don't follow hockey closely (or who aren't particularly obsessed with their team the way some of us are) really enjoy cheering on whatever Canadian team is left.

I wouldn't know, but maybe you're right.

I figured anyone who isn't already following the sport wouldn't really care one way or the other which team wins, especially if it's a team outside of province.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz

It comes down to this - it’s been 31 years since a Canadian team won.

In years gone by, it was enough to root against whoever the American opposition was.

After three decades, nobody wants to see any other canadian team break the drought except their own.

OWI

Jun 25, 2024
Simple

If you are an Rapid Wien fan and your team gets eliminated from UCL, are you happy to see Austria Wien proceed?
I buy that. But if i am a Austria Klagenfurt fan (which is in carinthia, where I live), I would cheer for both Rapid and Austria Wien, if the would have the chance for an international title. Which is by the way highly improbalbel.

Maybe as improbable, that Montreal or Toronto or Edmonton or Winnipeg or Calgary or Vancouver win Lord Stanleys cup - at least at the moment. In other words: If I were a hardcore Calgary fan, I would not cheer for the. But for all the others...

Reactions: 895

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
It's like rivalries. Would a fan of Liverpool cheer for Manchester United to win UEFA? Probably not , because they could chirp their buddies over the loss.

Since all our teams suck so bad so long, it's like we have some "pride" when our teams are better than the other Canadian teams. I'm a habs fan, but tons of my friends love the Leafs. There is no way in hell I would ever cheer for Toronto vs any other team because I would never hear the end of it. I have lots of friends who like the Nucks, Oilers, sens, flames, etc and we all banter with each other. My quip is always that the habs remain the last Canadian team to win.

It seems like most casual or somewhat neutral Canadians cheer for the last remaining team of Canada every playoffs, but the more die hards cheer against them. Its fandom, let people cheer for or against who they want.

Reactions: swiftwin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2