Give me some explanations, why Canadian hockey fans are reacting so strange

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OWI

Jun 25, 2024
I read the whole thread and I think that you asked your question in a way that is getting some strange responses. A question well posed is a question half answered. I understand that English likely isn't your first language. I'm not blaming your question, just saying that if we re-frame the question, it may help to get better answers.

EDIT: It seems that a few things were addressed by other posters after I left for a few hours before finishing my post.

I think the crux of the issue is that there is a major difference to geography and NHL vs other professional sports leagues that causes this "strangeness" you've identified. This is obvious to most Canadians and Americans because the understand the scale that the NHL operates on, but the scale might not be as obvious for someone in the EU.

I'll start with geography. Many Europeans (not sure if you're counted in that group) do not realize how big Canada and the USA are. Every Province in Canada is large enough to fit several if not half a dozen EU countries into it and also large enough to fit several US states into it. The comments about how you might not cheer for different teams in Austria doesn't fully answer something that might seem obvious to Canadians and Americans... the size disconnect of our countries.

Imagine this (or look at the maps):

Austria's land size - ~84,000 KM2
British Columbia land size (Province Canucks play in) - ~945,000 KM2 (11x Austria)
Alberta land size (Province Flames and Oilers play in) - ~662,000 KM2 (7x Austria)
Ontario's land size (Province Senators and Leafs play in) - ~ 1.076 million KM2

California land size (State that Sharks, Kings and Ducks play in) - ~ 404,000 KM2 (4x Austria)
Florida land size (State that Bolts and Panthers play in) - ~ 170,000 KM2 (2x Austria)
New York State land size ~ 141,000 KM2 (Where Sabres, Isles and Rangers play)
Massachusetts land size ~ 27,340 KM2 (Where Bruins play)
New Jersey land size ~ ~19,050 KM2 (Where Devils play).

Now imagine that between Boston and Philadelphia, with a range of around 550KM, you have the following teams in that range: Bruins, Isles, Rangers, Devils and Flyers. Other than perhaps another small pocket in California, most other teams are 800-several thousand KM away from each other. This is a scale that might surprise many EU residents.

After that, we have the fact that most NHL rosters are made up of many different nationalities.
Breaking down each NHL team's roster by nationality: 2023–24 season opening rosters - The Win Column

Every team has multiple countries, so the fact that Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal etc. are all in Canada doesn't mean nationality wise they're "Canadian". The fact the team is located in Canada means only a physical regional attribute. Add in the differences of how other sports in the EU are organized, the NHL teams do not really have a nation type of attribute that is as possible in a landmass like the European Union. Population densities also vary wildly between NHL cities with significant (lack of) population variances if (arbitrarily) looking at 250KM in all directions from the city.

Winnipeg is maybe a million people total if looking at a 250KM radius around that city. Then there's huge differences in 250KM population between somewhere like Chicago, Toronto/Buffalo, Ottawa, Edmonton, Columbus, LA, New York etc.

Another point I didn't think get touched upon that much in previous posts, individual player investment/rivalries. As mentioned, NHL isn't nation separated like Olympics and international tournaments, so that doesn't work. But this discrepancy also perhaps adds to the segregation of fandom for many of the fanatical or casual fans as well. Think the ultras, but less physical violence and more philosophy/verbal.

You rarely have an NHL fan being a fan of multiple teams, especially rival teams. It's a lot more work to keep track of multiple teams and teams are actively working against each other in a conference system. So Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton for instance, most fans will hope for their team to win, but either ignore the success of their rivals, or cheer for the failure of their rivals in the hopes that their team comes out on top (ie: More points in an 82 game season than rivals to have highest chance of playoffs). It's hard to have a "collective we of a country" if the success of the other teams in the same country often have a negative effect against your own team. This is not unique to Canada for the NHL, the same occurs in the USA as others have mentioned. If you invest in your team (ie: Calgary for me), then the investment of cheering for Vancouver/Edmonton will automatically be lower by default due to the NHL system in place.

Then to further complicate but clarify this process, many NHL fans are fans of specific players. For instance, I as a Calgary fan can be a rival of the Oilers, hate nearly all things Oilers, but be a fan of Connor McDavid. Similarities, but different. Like the squares vs rectangles saying (ie: all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares). Calgary fans can be a fan of a generational talent in McDavid and hopes he wins a ton of accolades and without being contradictory, hope that the Oilers do not perform well to be superior to the Flames (yes, I know it's sorta contradictory and dumb when the Oilers just were in the Finals and the Flames are crappy right now). In general, following more than one team is kinda exhausting and only fanatical fans will do this. Following players no longer on your team is also kinda exhausting, but not the same level as following an entire team. I believe many EU hockey fans would be fans of NHL teams where one of their star players on the world stage played. Some started that way and just stayed (ie: Finnish Kiprusoff fans sticking around as Flames fans after he retired). Others are active (ie: German fans and Oilers because Draisaitl)

What this meant in this years final, was that as a Flames fan there was an added bonus. In other years, I would perhaps just barely follow the highlights. This year, it was more personal and I followed the finals a lot more and watched the games from beginning to end vs barely touching highlights and scores.

The reason for this is that from a Flames perspective, there were several players that grew up in our system and played for us for many years that some Flames fans became attached to. So the fact that Bennett and Tkachuk spent so much time in our system (5+ years for both) and we were invested in seeing them succeed for so long caused us to have attachment to them. Lomberg as well as a feel good story, but he was only here a few years. This might have meant that our investment in seeing these players succeed caused us to also carry forward that success to hoping for the absolute pinnacle success an NHL player could accomplish. That is to win the Stanley cup. This spill over of player investment and then naturally turned to hoping for the Panthers to win from some of us Flames fans. Former Flames on the Oilers roster were like Kulak, Ryan and Stetcher. Most of which only spent a few years here (less than 3-4 seasons for each IIRC and lesser role players/not grew up in our development system with less attachment).

A similar thing happened when it was Vancouver vs Edmonton in the playoffs. Quite a few Flames fans hoped for Vancouver over Edmonton. Again, it was due to rivalry (even though much less of a rivalry emphasis in recent years, Battle of Alberta is still bigger than Calgary/Vancouver rivalry), but the biggest thing that may have trumped that indifference was that Calgary/Vancouver had swapped many players in the last few years and thus we had many crossover players for which many of us had somewhat of an emotional attachment to vs barely any attachment to for other teams. (ie key players like: Lindholm, Zadorov).

Keep also in mind that there are many different fans. Some are combinations of the above. Some are none of the above.

Sorry for all the words. Hopefully it was a little helpful in understanding this attribute of NHL fandom and realizing that it's not strange from a North American perspective, but I can completely understand why it's strange from an EU one.
Thanky you very much for taking the time and give me such a long explanation. It helps me to understand North America a little bit better...

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Most of England who weren't already Manchester United fans would never cheer for them, especially the large fanbases of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool. If the Leafs are the last Canadian team remaining in the playoffs I doubt the rest of Canada would unite behind us, just like I wouldn't unite behind any of them.

Now its Man City.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
When I was even more of a niave idiot, I cheered for the Flames in 2004 even though I was born in oil Oilers fan.

In 2006 all I heard from my little sister city down south was them wishing us a loss. Even celebrating the Roloson injury. Then I became a full blown Calgary hater. I never liked the Leafs because of the pompous asshole Leaf fans I grew up around. 2011 I started to hate the Nucks. I am iffy on the Habs (the fans I have met in person have been both great hockey fans and great people) but their online fans grind my gears and I don't want them to feel success.

Jets and Sens I would cheer for. For now..

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!
The NHL doesn't represent countries, so patriotism doesn't and shouldn't play a part. Also Canadian teams are often rivals with each other. Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal are all rivals.

Would you expect Manchester United fans to cheer for Manchester City just because they're both in Manchester? No, you wouldn't.

This notion about cheering for teams because of where they are from is simply f***ing stupid.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If the World Series was being played between the Mets and the Blue Jays do you think Yankees fans would be cheering for the Mets? Or when the NBA finals featured the Raptors and the Warriors, were Lakers fans cheering on the Warriors because they were an American team? It's all about rivalry.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
In a nutshell, fans of small countries are relatively unified. Fans of large countries routinely feel rivalry with other nearby states especially within division. But often we feel no problem giving a little support to far away states in other divisions…even better if other conference.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

Look, it is now more than 30 years, that the cup is away from Canada. For me that is a shame. So why do Canadian fans give the impression, that they are happy with it? Is there nothing like patriotism? No national pride? And don't tell me, that this is of no importance, because the majority of players in US-based franchises are Canadians!

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

For my part: I prefer Canada...

SO: Can anyone give me some explanations.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz

Canadians are an odd group - myself included. There is lack of confidence that is painful and contagious. Come to the International Forum before a tournament, any tournament, and watch Canadians mercilessly dump on our team. Canadian posters will say, "Our players are slow, unskilled, useless. We suck and we won't win!" Of course, if we win, and we win a LOT, Canadians jump on the bandwagon and talk in glowing terms of the boys (girls) who made them proud... until the next tournament when we go back to saying they suck.

As for no additional teams in Canada...

Gary Bettman takes Canada for granted. He'll take our players and our money but then he turns his back on us. Canadians should return the favour but they don't. Like Bruce Arthur once said (paraphrasing), "Canadians are like the plain girl at the dance, forever hoping the Prom King will look our way". I say screw Bettman and the NHL. They never get my money.

Having said all that, most Canadians I know watched the Cup final and were pulling for Edmonton.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
my folks are Oilers fans to the core, when my Leafs got knocked out I supported the hometown team because I'd like to see them (my folks) see 1 more cup celebration. Sadly didnt happen, but was a fun couple months.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I simply cheer for the more likable team each year.

One team employs Evander Kane, Perry, Draisatl and Nurse. The other team has all likable players.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
I always root for a team whenever i watch a game even if it's not my team playing. When i watch a Canadian team against an American team i'll usually go for the one from Canada because of my slight bias as a Canadian, but nothing deeper than that.

Except the Leafs. I'll actively root for anyone facing them, they make for great heels.

Reactions: jsol

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Well, if it comes to two teams from Alberta like Edmonton and Calgary, I can slightly understand ist. But why couldn't a Toronto fan cheer for - let us say - the Canucks in a final against a US team?

Exactly, those Marchand punches to Sedin might as well been punches to a beaver eating poutine drenched with maple syrup.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
The vast majority of people are cheering for the Canadian team I think. But the bigger hockey fans who post on forums are less likely to do so because there is a genuine rivalry between teams/fans.

It's hard not to get annoyed with the minority loud annoying fans if u spend a ton of time reading forums.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
The best explanation that I heard from a comedian on the radio a few weeks back: Edmonton winning the Stanley Cup is like your neighbour winning the lottery. You personally are really getting nothing out of it if you’re a fan of another team.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Was merely answering your question as to why this happens every year.

It really is like that here, and yes it does happen every single time. :laugh:

I'm sure Canadian restaurant chain Boston Pizza will try again next year, run the same tired commercials ad nauseum, and get laughed at once more.

They should really be rooting for the Bruins, no?

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
I can see Americans rooting for a (non-rival) American team if they enjoy the Canadian 31-year streak and the drama around it and find it being oddly funny.

That would be kinda mean though :devdance:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Canadians are an odd group - myself included. There is lack of confidence that is painful and contagious. Come to the International Forum before a tournament, any tournament, and watch Canadians mercilessly dump on our team. Canadian posters will say, "Our players are slow, unskilled, useless. We suck and we won't win!" Of course, if we win, and we win a LOT, Canadians jump on the bandwagon and talk in glowing terms of the boys (girls) who made them proud... until the next tournament when we go back to saying they suck.

As for no additional teams in Canada...

Gary Bettman takes Canada for granted. He'll take our players and our money but then he turns his back on us. Canadians should return the favour but they don't. Like Bruce Arthur once said (paraphrasing), "Canadians are like the plain girl at the dance, forever hoping the Prom King will look our way". I say screw Bettman and the NHL. They never get my money.

Having said all that, most Canadians I know watched the Cup final and were pulling for Edmonton.

The problem work us protesting by not investing in the NHL is that the point won't get across. All the non-Canadians will just be like "lol I thought Canadians loved hockey what a joke".

In many ways we are in a can't win situation

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The problem work us protesting by not investing in the NHL is that the point won't get across. All the non-Canadians will just be like "lol I thought Canadians loved hockey what a joke".

In many ways we are in a can't win situation
Very true.

The only way it works is when Rogers/TSN makes a deal for the TV Rights, INSIST on another Canadian team - they (we indirectly) pay a TON of money to the NHL, why not say we want something in return besides the TV rights?

The NHL could easily put a team in Quebec City or Toronto. QC would more than hold its own and Toronto would print money.

Last edited:
Reactions: End on a Hinote

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I am a hockey-fan from Austria. And I know, my country is no big deal in hockey. But a t least in this years world cup we could go into overtime against Canada. And beat Finland. An in my part of our land (Carinthia) hockey plays an important role...

I've been following the NHL for about 25 years now. And to be honest: I was always cheering for the Canada based teams. IMHO Canada is ice-hockeys homeland. So I was always sad, when Canadian teams lost in the Stanley-Cup-finals.

What I do not understand: In all these finals - when I was going through the forums afterwards - it was strange to see, that most Canadian fans were happy, that the Canadian team lost, no matter if it was Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Edmonton.

I simply don't understand that inter-Canadian-hate, that self-humilitang attitude. And can anyone tell me, why there are so few Canada based franchises? Is no one in Canada, who has money interested in hockey. Who needs another team in the US? Who needs for example a Utah-hockey-club?

Back in 1987, while travelling through AUstralia, I met a Canadian guy, a huge hockey fan. I remember him telling me: "We hate the Russians, cause the beat us so often." It seems to me, there a change: Now Canadians hate themselves and love the United States.

For my part: I prefer Canada...

SO: Can anyone give me some explanations.

Greetings from Austria!

Karl-Heinz
My rule has always been like this, anyone that beat my own team, I will always cheer against the team that beat us. If my team is not in the playoffs in any given year, I might cheer for them, depend on their sportsmanship on how they treated us in the regular season. So this year, the Oilers beat the Canucks so in the result I cheer against Oilers and wanted the Panthers to win. That is my only rule because I'd be devastated if that team beat us by one goal and went on to win the Cup in any game 7 that could have been us so that is the reason why I made the rule for myself.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Why would I cheer for teams I hate, especially Montreal and Ottawa?

I cheer against Montreal in every sport. If they were playing for the MLS Championship I'd support any team playing them without thinking twice.

Do you think Man United fans cheer for Man City when they're in the Champions league? Same for Rangers and Celtic, Inter and AC Milan, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The fallacy that an entire country will back a team if it's the only one from the country left is the issue.

A Canucks fan doesn't give a shit about the Flames and Oilers and vice versa.

Toronto thinks everyone should love them but is despised by all.

Habs, they still boast about their history because that's all they have left.

Jets are basically wondering why fans don't show up when they're good in a place no one chooses to live in unless they have to.

Ottawa just exists.

Why should either fan base give a rats ass about the other merely because it's in Canada? You'll never catch a Flyers fan cheering the Pens because a Pennsylvania team is in the finals, goes both ways.

It's some idiotic me vs them stupidity that media likes to push. All of these teams are filled with players from various countries. Where they are geographically means absolute jack shit unless it's your hometown and you chose the team based on that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad