Value of: Giroux to MIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I have no dog in this fight as a Flyers fan but why would you just assume Hertl would be a rental? The Wild have plenty of cap space next season. Wouldn't anyone who trades for Hertl plan on at least trying to resign him before FA hits? He just turned 28 and he fills a pretty big hole for the Wild.
As per CapFriendly the Wild have $15 million in cap space next season. Assuming there will be a slight raise in the cap lets call it $16million. $16 million and 12 players under contract. Teams carry between 21-23 players, so assume a roster of 22 players this means the Wild have $16 million to sign 10 players. This would probably be 6 forwards, 3 defenders and 1 goalie.
1 - Rossi and Boldy will be on the roster - total cap $1.9
2 - Kahkonen will re-sign - total cap $1
3 - Addison will be on the roster - total cap hit $900k
4 - Re-sign Fiala - total cap $6.5?

This leaves $5.7 million to sign 3 forwards and 2 D - that is an average of $1.14 per remaining contract. The Wild could not sign Fiala and potentially sign a Hertl to a $7.5 contract (just me spit-balling), but that would reduce their ability to fill out the rest of the roster with even less cap. So it wouldn't be impossible to re-sign a trade deadline rental but it would be difficult to build out the rest of a team and it would require the Wild to lose other good quality players such as Fiala and Greenway.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As per CapFriendly the Wild have $15 million in cap space next season. Assuming there will be a slight raise in the cap lets call it $16million. $16 million and 12 players under contract. Teams carry between 21-23 players, so assume a roster of 22 players this means the Wild have $16 million to sign 10 players. This would probably be 6 forwards, 3 defenders and 1 goalie.
1 - Rossi and Boldy will be on the roster - total cap $1.9
2 - Kahkonen will re-sign - total cap $1
3 - Addison will be on the roster - total cap hit $900k
4 - Re-sign Fiala - total cap $6.5?

This leaves $5.7 million to sign 3 forwards and 2 D - that is an average of $1.14 per remaining contract. The Wild could not sign Fiala and potentially sign a Hertl to a $7.5 contract (just me spit-balling), but that would reduce their ability to fill out the rest of the roster with even less cap. So it wouldn't be impossible to re-sign a trade deadline rental but it would be difficult to build out the rest of a team and it would require the Wild to lose other good quality players such as Fiala and Greenway.

Not to detract from the rest of your post, which is pretty spot on, but Greenway should be gone regardless of cap implications. He's pretty much worn out his welcome here.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not to detract from the rest of your post, which is pretty spot on, but Greenway should be gone regardless of cap implications. He's pretty much worn out his welcome here.
That's too bad to hear. I liked the way he skates for a big body and always thought he looked better than his stats showed, but maybe he is what he is at this point - a good 3rd line winger without the offense to be a real option for top 6 wing?

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You do know the guy you are talking to, responding to is a leafs fan right? You commented leafs traded a 1st and more for nick foligno, so he responded
I didn't really know what team he was a fan of. His location says Minneapolis so I thought maybe he thought I was talking about Marcus Foligno or something. Obviously Foligno was traded to the Leafs but this thread is about Giroux being traded to Minnesota so I don't really know why he even responded other than Leafs fans trying to take over every thread.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Chance at a deep run? Isn’t minny in line to play Vegas or The Avs?

The Wild took VGK to 7 games last year and we've all seen how the Avs play below expectations in the postseason....and they have to rely on Kuemper in net.

Minnesota can compete with both those teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have no dog in this fight as a Flyers fan but why would you just assume Hertl would be a rental? The Wild have plenty of cap space next season. Wouldn't anyone who trades for Hertl plan on at least trying to resign him before FA hits? He just turned 28 and he fills a pretty big hole for the Wild.
:huh:
Anyway, would love Giroux on MN, but MN can't afford to re-sign him. I would doubt that PHI would be thrilled with a 1st + Dameon Hunt offer, but that's all I got. They shouldn't be doing a 1st + Marat/Lambos deal for a couple of months of Giroux, IMO, but I totally get that some other team(who has cap space to try and re-up him) might be willing to pay that for him.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The Wild took VGK to 7 games last year and we've all seen how the Avs play below expectations in the postseason....and they have to rely on Kuemper in net.

Minnesota can compete with both those teams.

Cant say I know enough about all 3 teams, but it seems like a stretch for G to prefer to go to Minny unless he thinks it the best return for the team and he plans on coming back to Philly next year. I could see one of the Fla teams or the Avs. He should be thought of as an emergency C but more so a wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad