Value of: Giroux to MIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
A rental is worth that much if the GM feels that the player pushes them over the top. Now is that the case with the Wild and Giroux? I'm not convinced that they would be better than the Blues, Avs or Golden Knights.
It may not be extremely convincing we are better than those teams, but with a healthy blueline and an upgrade to our 2nd offensive line the wild would have a rather complete 4 lines and there would be almost zero concern of matchups in regard to offense. our defensive pairings may be suspect but they have been adequate which if we have two scoring lines going along with eks line shutting people down its a darn good recipe for success.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
It may not be extremely convincing we are better than those teams, but with a healthy blueline and an upgrade to our 2nd offensive line the wild would have a rather complete 4 lines and there would be almost zero concern of matchups in regard to offense. our defensive pairings may be suspect but they have been adequate which if we have two scoring lines going along with eks line shutting people down its a darn good recipe for success.

Yes, Giroux would be a massive upgrade as far as center depth. He can win faceoffs, is solid in his own zone, would upgrade both the PP and PK. As far as being better....anything can happen in a 7 game series. It's up to your GM if he wants to pay the steep price for....20 regular season games (maybe) plus however many playoff games the Wild play. I'd prefer a prospect be the centerpiece for a Giroux trade even if it means no pick coming back. But I'm sure it'll be something like a 1st plus a A- or B+ prospect.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Do you think giroux won't outproduce hertl and miller over the next few years? Thinking of g exclusively as a rental has you seriously undervaluing him.
Giroux has played center this year and has excelled there previously.
Over the past 3 seasons Giroux has produced 49 goals and 127 points in 160 games (0.31 gpg, 0.79 ppg), Miller has produced 54 goals, 157 points (0.34 gpg, 0.98 ppg) and Hertl has produced 56 goals and 116 points (0.40 gpg, 0.83 ppg). Given Giroux is 34 an age that typically sees a decrease in production and both Hertl and Miller are 28 an age considered to be in a players prime and over the past 3 seasons JT and Hertl have already out produced Giroux (Hertl in ppg not total points). I think it would be very fair to assume that Giroux won't outproduce Miller and Hertl over the next few years.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Over the past 3 seasons Giroux has produced 49 goals and 127 points in 160 games (0.31 gpg, 0.79 ppg), Miller has produced 54 goals, 157 points (0.34 gpg, 0.98 ppg) and Hertl has produced 56 goals and 116 points (0.40 gpg, 0.83 ppg). Given Giroux is 34 an age that typically sees a decrease in production and both Hertl and Miller are 28 an age considered to be in a players prime and over the past 3 seasons JT and Hertl have already out produced Giroux (Hertl in ppg not total points). I think it would be very fair to assume that Giroux won't outproduce Miller and Hertl over the next few years.

So Hertl, you'd have to pay Rossi, a first, and probably something else in order to acquire. Then you'd have to pay him 8+ a year after.

I have no idea where JT Miller's value is....but what I do know is that a ton of other playoff caliber teams are very interested in him. So you'd have to be prepared to beat out their offers.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
So Hertl, you'd have to pay Rossi, a first, and probably something else in order to acquire. Then you'd have to pay him 8+ a year after.

I have no idea where JT Miller's value is....but what I do know is that a ton of other playoff caliber teams are very interested in him. So you'd have to be prepared to beat out their offers.

Hertl is a rental, so you are wrong about paying Rossi. No team is paying a top top prospect for a rental.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Yes, Giroux would be a massive upgrade as far as center depth. He can win faceoffs, is solid in his own zone, would upgrade both the PP and PK. As far as being better....anything can happen in a 7 game series. It's up to your GM if he wants to pay the steep price for....20 regular season games (maybe) plus however many playoff games the Wild play. I'd prefer a prospect be the centerpiece for a Giroux trade even if it means no pick coming back. But I'm sure it'll be something like a 1st plus a A- or B+ prospect.
its a gamble for sure, but if the stars align its a very good gamble. the issue is you need that luck on your side and you never know when it will be there. i am comfortable going for it this year with this current team. many are not and for good reason.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
its a gamble for sure, but if the stars align its a very good gamble. the issue is you need that luck on your side and you never know when it will be there. i am comfortable going for it this year with this current team. many are not and for good reason.

If that's the case, I'd be fine with your proposal on the other page. Maybe add a conditional pick if the Wild resign G in the offseason.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Cost to acquire would be high - I don't think Rossi high, but definitely high. Miller is signed through next season (with retention might be the most interesting for the Wild - a top 6 C making $2.7 would help with next years cap constraints). But Giroux would cost a 1st + too and would require a new contract in the off season. I was answering the "will he outproduce" comment and my thoughts are strongly that he wouldn't.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Nobody is trading for Hertl to be a rental. You have 0 chance to get him if that's your thought process.

Hertl whether you like it or not,,teams are trading for him to be a rental, that's a fact! Tomas is a player whose going to look at free agent to get as much money as possible. So your rational that Minnesota or any team would need to give up player like Rossi is wrong

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This.

Love Giroux, but he’s 34 year old rental. Can’t be worth anything more than one good spec and a 2nd. 3 years ago he’s probably worth that, and more.
Foligno who was 33 on an expiring contract was traded for a 1st and 4th at least season's deadline. He hasn't put up more than 35 points in a season since 2017. He was on pace for 14 goals and 31 points when he was traded. Giroux is one year older and he's on pace for 27 goals and 69 points but his return is going to be less? Really?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
As a Sharks fan I have little to no interest in Rossi. Sharks have enough Lilliputians in the pipeline as it is. Want your new #1 center? Then it starts with Boldy

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Cost to acquire would be high - I don't think Rossi high, but definitely high. Miller is signed through next season (with retention might be the most interesting for the Wild - a top 6 C making $2.7 would help with next years cap constraints). But Giroux would cost a 1st + too and would require a new contract in the off season. I was answering the "will he outproduce" comment and my thoughts are strongly that he wouldn't.

Yeah I think Hertl is a better goal scorer. Giroux is more of a playmaker, better all around than Hertl. JT Miller and Giroux are fairly comparable at this point. I think both would produce similarly in the Wilds system.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You aren't getting a boldy player for rental.
I have no dog in this fight as a Flyers fan but why would you just assume Hertl would be a rental? The Wild have plenty of cap space next season. Wouldn't anyone who trades for Hertl plan on at least trying to resign him before FA hits? He just turned 28 and he fills a pretty big hole for the Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have no dog in this fight as a Flyers fan but why would you just assume Hertl would be a rental? The Wild have plenty of cap space next season. Wouldn't anyone who trades for Hertl plan on at least trying to resign him before FA hits? He just turned 28 and he fills a pretty big hole for the Wild.

That's news to everyone who's actually familiar with the Wild's situation.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021

The wild actually doesn't. They have 16 mil in cap room with 6-8 players to resign. They also have the dead cap hit of suter, and Parise. Teams don't trade for players especially rentals with the thought of, well he will resign. Rentals go to free agency looking for money

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
the wild have almost 15 mill in deadcap next year creating a lot less space along with a good amount of expiring contracts.

Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
Foligno who was 33 on an expiring contract was traded for a 1st and 4th at least season's deadline. He hasn't put up more than 35 points in a season since 2017. He was on pace for 14 goals and 31 points when he was traded. Giroux is one year older and he's on pace for 27 goals and 69 points but his return is going to be less? Really?
Ok? We obviously overpaid on Foligno, and we wouldn’t want to do it again…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad