Confirmed with Link: Giroux, Bunnaman, Rubtsov, 2024 5th traded to Florida for 2024 1st, 2023 3rd, Owen Tippett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm a big OT fan, ever since he was drafted by the Panthers.
I've watched most of the Flyers games since the trade, and he looks better and happier than I've seen him in a long, long time. He just needed a chance and for someone to believe in him. I see he had the third-highest ice time among F last night.
Whatever you're hearing from the Panthers, or I've seen before, throw it out the window. He looks like a new man! Very happy for him!

Reactions: TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Friedman on 32 Thoughts podcast, Re: Giroux and Ottawa, nothing groundbreaking here.

"It's not an option that's off the table."

"Expectation that's where he's going to retire to." He is building a house there.

"I don't think it's a guarantee but I think it's on the radar."

"The idea of Giroux is very exciting for them [Ottawa]."

Spent half the time alloted talking about Colin White.
Giroux on the Senators would be interesting. Could be the perfect veteran leader for that team.

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Time to move on.
Team needs youth, not nostalgia.
G will be 35, even if they turn it around in 2-3 years, he'd be 37-38 at that point.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Time to move on.
Team needs youth, not nostalgia.
G will be 35, even if they turn it around in 2-3 years, he'd be 37-38 at that point.

Does that mean it’s time for us to move on from other things that aren’t youth related?

Giroux is still better then every single player on this team and in this organization.

The team needs good vets around, not trash bag scrubs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Does that mean it’s time for us to move on from other things that aren’t youth related?

Giroux is still better then every single player on this team and in this organization.

The team needs good vets around, not trash bag scrubs.
Couts is a better player than G.
Farabee by next year will be better.
G will be worse, he'll be 35, he's not going to defy the age curve forever.
If the Flyers were contenders, he'd have value, but in that case, he'd still be here.

Either you rebuild or you don't, and if they're going to rebuild/reload, they need to move out JVR and Atkinson.
Unless G is going to give a substantial hometown discount, there's not much point bringing him back.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Couts is a better player than G.
Farabee by next year will be better.
G will be worse, he'll be 35, he's not going to defy the age curve forever.
If the Flyers were contenders, he'd have value, but in that case, he'd still be here.

Either you rebuild or you don't, and if they're going to rebuild/reload, they need to move out JVR and Atkinson.
Unless G is going to give a substantial hometown discount, there's not much point bringing him back.

Neither of those first two statements are true in any fashion. So I won’t bother to continue debating that with you.

Speaking of Youth movement, who’s on deck to replace you?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That team isn't sniffing the Playoffs for another 2-3 years. Not ideal for Giroux.

I think where he goes depends a lot on if Florida wins the Cup. If they don't, which is very likely, he might have to take less money to go somewhere with a real chance of winning. Maybe even take a one year deal in Tampa.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Neither of those first two statements are true in any fashion. So I won’t bother to continue debating that with you.

Speaking of Youth movement, who’s on deck to replace you?

Couturier was better than Giroux in 18-19, 19-20 and 20-21. Only this year when he got hurt did Giroux play better.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Obviously I would love to see Giroux win the Stanley Cup, but then I realize that Joe Thornton is on the same team... I can already picture Barkov handing the Cup to Thornton first. And now I'm conflicted.
That would be a slap in the face to guys like Ekblad and Huberdeau that have been with the Panthers for their whole careers and will actually contribute something if they do win the Cup.

If Florida already bagged a Cup, then maybe Thornton would get the Cup after Barkov, but it's not happening under current circumstances.

Thornton still may get the Cup before G, though. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see who does get it first.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
That would be a slap in the face to guys like Ekblad and Huberdeau that have been with the Panthers for their whole careers and will actually contribute something if they do win the Cup.

If Florida already bagged a Cup, then maybe Thornton would get the Cup after Barkov, but it's not happening under current circumstances.

Thornton still may get the Cup before G, though. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see who does get it first.
Thornton, I would say in my opinion would nearly certainly get the Cup directly from Barkov.

When the Kings won in 2012, Brown gave it to Willie Mitchell first and then Gagne got it. Gagne played a whopping four games those playoffs and Thornton is head and shoulders above him in terms of the paying his dues in this league.

The better example would be the Avs in 2001. Thornton is more on the Bourque level of respect in the league. Yes, Sakic and a good portion of the Avs had already won the Cup a few years earlier but still that moment isn't going to be missed. Now Barkov will lift it and celebrate with it so it won't be exactly like Sakic and Bourque (who just turned around and handed it to Bourque).

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
So if Owen Tippett succeeds and becomes the player he could be will people be praising Fletcher? Even though it's clear that he didn't like the offer?

I could easily see that revisionist history going down. "Fletcher did his due diligence and knew OT just needed the right environment to thrive.... blah blah blah"

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So if Owen Tippett succeeds and becomes the player he could be will people be praising Fletcher? Even though it's clear that he didn't like the offer?

I could easily see that revisionist history going down. "Fletcher did his due diligence and knew OT just needed the right environment to thrive.... blah blah blah"

Tippett is never going to more than a decent 3rd liner on an actual good team, so I wouldn't worry about this scenario playing out.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

If Tippett becomes a Superstar i view Cucky the same way as of now! Stupid bad!

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You judge trades and the people who made them based on what was known at the time of the trade, not how they end up.

As of that moment, there was no reason to believe Tippett will ever be anything of value. If by some miracle he ends up being a legit player, then that’s just fluke good luck, not a good trade by a guy who exclusively loses them and has proven beyond all argument to be incapable of evaluating players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"There was no reason to believe Tippett will ever be anything of value."

I love blanket statements, #10 pick who's already got 28 ES points in 87 games at 21-22 years old has zero upside.
He may never become a top 6 forward, but there's a good chance Tippett may turn out to be a solid 3RW.
And yes, that has value.
Given his size/speed/skill package, it's not zero probability that the light will go on at some point.

Maybe, we might wait a year and see what he turns out to be?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tippett has been more productive in the NHL and AHL than Frost and is the same age(3 months older).

Why are we so definitive that OT will be a bottom 6 guy but Frost can be a top 6 guy? I have not watched OT at all, so honest question. Seems like both have the same chance of being something based on results. I know some dislike results, but at some point, results matter.

Hopefully they both end up meshing well together and both become something worthwhile.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How many people are confident Frost will be a top 6 guy? He has that potential, but that is a high bar for any young player to clear. To me, nothing Tippett does looks easy. His hands aren't very soft. He has no touch on his passes. They are often a tick late and/or in a tough spot for his teammate to handle. Nothing about his passing is natural. That's kind of a non-negotiable for a top 6 player. Yeah he ripped a puck off the post last night, but it was from a relatively poor angle/distance and he didn't even sell the pass for a split second. There was no doubt he was shooting that puck.

I don't think you can say the same about Frost. There have been times this year where he doesn't look sure of himself, no doubt, and he's been inconsistent, but I think given how he has looked at other levels in the past, this is a case of adjusting to the highest level of hockey (on a bad team).

Tippet didn't miss all of last season and has ~40 more NHL games under his belt.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
How many people are confident Frost will be a top 6 guy? He has that potential, but that is a high bar for any young player to clear. To me, nothing Tippett does looks easy. His hands aren't very soft. He has no touch on his passes. They are often a tick late and/or in a tough spot for his teammate to handle. Nothing about his passing is natural. That's kind of a non-negotiable for a top 6 player. Yeah he ripped a puck off the post last night, but it was from a relatively poor angle/distance and he didn't even sell the pass for a split second. There was no doubt he was shooting that puck.

I don't think you can say the same about Frost. There have been times this year where he doesn't look sure of himself, no doubt, and he's been inconsistent, but I think given how he has looked at other levels in the past, this is a case of adjusting to the highest level of hockey (on a bad team).

Tippet didn't miss all of last season and has ~40 more NHL games under his belt.
shooting from all over the ice is something Cevin normaly does! So he is in the perfect franchise!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad