Gilbert/Schultz trade

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think this guy is Schultz's cousin or something. Schultz was never a **** down defenseman
Hahaha. No. Definitely not. Just liked what Schultz brought to the table. Never out of position. Always had the stick of his opponent locked up in the Dzone. Blocked a lot of shots. Saved a lot of pucks that were heading into the net. Stuff that is the #1 job of defensemen, yet most don't like doing. He actually liked it.

And you're complete wrong. Schultz was the top match-up Dman for the Wild for years (whether he was with Johnsson or Burns). He was light-years above the rest of the blueline in that regard.

Do I care that he used Johnsson for most of his break-outs? Of course not. That's just playing to a strength.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Article about Zone Exits and Puck Moving Defensemen

Dave Tippett's quote about certain types of defensemen he coached sums up what I have been trying to accomplish by tracking zone exits:

"I'll give you an example. We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shutdown defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck. Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

Worst zone breakout defensemen
Nick Schultz = #10
Cam Barker = #17

Is it any wonder the Wild were so bad defensively with those two, so much better when they were gone, and that the Oilers were so bad with those two?

Schultz was a nice #4/5 defenseman when paired with a good puck mover. But I'll take someone who's maybe a little worse defender 1-on-1 who can break the puck out better AND play more physical.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think the problem i had with schultz was he was over paid. hes a decent 2 mill defensive defenseman. i believe EDM needs alittle more defense w physical element. we won the trade!

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Big win for the Wild in this trade..our system needs guys that can get the puck North and in a hurry. Now we have 4 d that can do it very well. When back in the day we barely had 2. Schultz is still better defensively than Gibby..but the difference in puck moving more than makes up for it and gives us a win on this trade.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Article about Zone Exits and Puck Moving Defensemen

Worst zone breakout defensemen
Nick Schultz = #10
Cam Barker = #17

Is it any wonder the Wild were so bad defensively with those two, so much better when they were gone, and that the Oilers were so bad with those two?

Schultz was a nice #4/5 defenseman when paired with a good puck mover. But I'll take someone who's maybe a little worse defender 1-on-1 who can break the puck out better AND play more physical.
Tippet's quote is clearly about Willie Mitchell, when the Wild traded him to the Stars. He was coaching there at the time, and the Stars bought him for a playoff run thinking they were getting a great shutdown guy...

Mitchell was the inventor of the blind wrap around the boards in a panic instead of looking for a teammate to pass to. He was the sole reason (ok maybe not the only reason) Sakic was the first player to get the Wild Killer label. Sakic knew what Willie would do every time and just dropped back to the point to stop the puck off the boards for a free chance at wrister.

SP0RTSFANATIC98

Feb 11, 2013
Minny
At first I absolutely hated this trade!! Gilbert was an awful fit for last year's team. Clearly Fletcher had a greater perspective in mind and thought that he could not only sign Suter, but bring Brodin up next year!!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At first I absolutely hated this trade!! Gilbert was an awful fit for last year's team. Clearly Fletcher had a greater perspective in mind and thought that he could not only sign Suter, but bring Brodin up next year!!
Not sure why you say that...Schultz was horrid last year, and Gilbert was easily our best defenseman after the trade. Both he and Scandella played very well as our top pair to close the season.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Not sure why you say that...Schultz was horrid last year, and Gilbert was easily our best defenseman after the trade. Both he and Scandella played very well as our top pair to close the season.

Agreed. Makes a guy wonder if Scandella will ever find his game again..Russo certainly doesn't think it will be with this team..thinks he is trade bait.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Tippet's quote is clearly about Willie Mitchell, when the Wild traded him to the Stars. He was coaching there at the time, and the Stars bought him for a playoff run thinking they were getting a great shutdown guy...

Mitchell was the inventor of the blind wrap around the boards in a panic instead of looking for a teammate to pass to. He was the sole reason (ok maybe not the only reason) Sakic was the first player to get the Wild Killer label. Sakic knew what Willie would do every time and just dropped back to the point to stop the puck off the boards for a free chance at wrister.

I thought about who he was referring to. I suppose that makes sense. This is the mindset we had for a while though, players like Mitchell and Schultz, great at blocking shots and pure defending, but they can't transition to offense, and if you put them against the other team's top players, they end up killing your team because the other team has the puck all the time.

Looking at Schultz's Corsi the last few years...it's pretty damn dreadful. Always negative, typically double digits, often the bottom of the heap.

What's a Gibby?

I'm assuming he was talking about a Gibson guitar?

Agreed. Makes a guy wonder if Scandella will ever find his game again..Russo certainly doesn't think it will be with this team..thinks he is trade bait.

I still haven't heard anything about this. Was it in an article, or Twitter?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I thought about who he was referring to. I suppose that makes sense. This is the mindset we had for a while though, players like Mitchell and Schultz, great at blocking shots and pure defending, but they can't transition to offense, and if you put them against the other team's top players, they end up killing your team because the other team has the puck all the time.

Looking at Schultz's Corsi the last few years...it's pretty damn dreadful. Always negative, typically double digits, often the bottom of the heap.

I'm assuming he was talking about a Gibson guitar?

I still haven't heard anything about this. Was it in an article, or Twitter?

Closest thing I could find

Signing Clark also tells you right now where Marco Scandella is on the totem pole. He doesn't have a lot of experience, has been hurt a lot and is trying to beat the inconsistency demon. My guess is the Wild would be willing to trade Scandella at this point in his career. The second-round pick is the type of defenseman that may be a valuable asset.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/197776831.html

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
You guys are all being sarcastic right?? Gibby is Gilberts nickname in the room..even Yeo calls him Gibby anytime he comes up.

Also thanks TGF I was just trying to find that..

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
schultz might be one of those guys who fits specifically in one system and looks out of place everywhere else...he was very solid for Lemaire. Some guys are like that to an extreme while most guys can play decent hockey outside their best "fit" or rapidly adapt.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ok, you know you'll never get Edmonton to buy that one. According to them we still play they same system we did under Lemaire. Schultz started sucking the moment Lemaire left here.

THEALLKNOWING*

HA. Saw Willie Mitchell's name, and read the comment. Right on. My son and I used to joke how his ring the boards pass would set-up the opponent's d-man inside the blueline at the point. Back in the Sakic-era, he must have had about 30 assists for the opposing team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad