Gilbert/Schultz trade

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yes...had we re-signed Burns, there is no way we could've signed Suter...and by extension Parise, either, as they were a package item.

So, essentially it was:

Brent Burns
2nd round pick

for

Devon Setoguchi
Charlie Coyle
Zach Phillips
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise

You tell me who won that trade? :sarcasm:

I like the way you think.

Minnesota Gilbert > Edmonton Gilbert

Minnesota Schultz > Edmonton Schultz

we-win.jpg

I like this comparison as well.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
My post on the Eddy board when it was up and going...

Was just killing time reading through various teams' boards. Quick thoughts from a Minnesota perspective.

Nick Schultz is what he is. An average size defender that skates at an above average level. Generally fairly sound positionally. Any physical contact is virtually non-existent and he's among the league worst at moving the puck. If you're looking for a clean breakout from him, forget it. He patented the no-look, panic ring the puck around the boards here in Minnesota. He's a decent solidifying type of player on the bottom pairing but truth be told, there's a lot of organizations that have multiple players that can fill in for his role and not miss a beat. Biggest complaint about his time here is that he'll never give you any more than a decent game.

As far as what I've seen from Gilbert here in Minnesota, I've loved the trade (sorry to say for you guys). With that said, you're going to see a greater swing in terms of consistency. He'll have some clunker of games and decisions here and there but he'll also have moments that back up his position in a top 4 pairing.

So I guess it probably depends on what you're looking for in terms of your defenseman. For Minnesota, Gilbert provides elements in his game that are not readily available. Whereas in this system, Schultz was/is a replacement level player.

In other words, I think the Wild fleeced the Oilers. Badly. Again.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I hated Schultz. He was such a meaningless player to the Wild the last 2 years... Yes he gave us some good years earlier in his career, but it was time to move on. The Wild got a much better puck mover, and all around player.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
the trade made perfect sense, and was basically even at the time.

Still a fair trade imo, no clear winner considering N.Schultz plays for a weaker team.

+ i dont view Gilbert being a top4 dman for us in the future, and doubt we resign him.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I hated Schultz. He was such a meaningless player to the Wild the last 2 years... Yes he gave us some good years earlier in his career, but it was time to move on. The Wild got a much better puck mover, and all around player.

The main thing for me is, he's still the same player today as when he entered the league. Never developed off of that a lick. Which is also important to keep in mind when looking at Brodin; even if he's a markedly better prospect.

Schultz is looking absolutely awful in Eddy, though. I think it's mostly a combination of he's just not that good of a player anyway and that organization is a mess.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I don't know if either team is really better off with the other guy. Honestly, both players just aren't very good. They're leading or nearly leading their teams in the wrong categories. It was a change of scenery move that really didn't change anything for either side.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't know if either team is really better off with the other guy. Honestly, both players just aren't very good. They're leading or nearly leading their teams in the wrong categories. It was a change of scenery move that really didn't change anything for either side.

We needed Gilbert's skillset over Schultz's.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
reading through Edmonton's thread on that i'm reminded that he did play pretty soft with the Oilers. Not so with the Wild--was that coaching?

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
uh, gilbert at least plays stronger than schultz, if nothing else, which we needed. so win.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I don't know about everybody else, but I really like Gilbert in our Top-4. He provides some solid defense, I am rarely scared when the puck goes into our defensive zone and he is out there. Hell, I am not scared if he is 1 on 1 on a breakaway.

He is also a right handed shot, and there are not many quality RHD in this league. He provides a solid option on the 2nd powerplay, and is from Bloomington.

BNTG, what more could you ask for? :)

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

I think it was a necessary move for both parties, much like the Pouliot/Latendresse trade, though with longer tenured players on bloated contracts. I do not miss Nick Schultz, I would not be disappointed to see Tom Gilbert leave as a free agent in 2014. Neither are guys worthy of building a defense around, they're simply overpaid complimentary pieces. I do think the trade has helped us, though not nearly to the extent some others may feel. At the time our left side was significantly stronger than our right, but with Brodin's emergence and Scandella's inability to play consistently at a high level or stay healthy, our left side is much weaker now than the right.

Billy Mays Here*

Can't remember if I actually said much about him on here last season before the trade but I know for a fact that I had greatly soured on Schultz. Can't even count the number of times I saw him watch a pass go right by him (or through him in some cases) and he just stood there watching it instead of doing something about it. Gilbert is a very ideal 2nd pairing d-man and his right handed shot is a bonus.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Schultz was a quality shut-down Dman. And he broke the puck out better than Stoner, Falk, Skoula, Carney, and even Burns a lot of times.

Schultz sucks on the Oilers for the same reason Gilbert sucked on the Oilers. That team is weak and terrible in the Dzone. They run around an get out of position.

Schultz works well in a 5 man system because he will do his job very well and never go outside his job.

Mumbler*

Yes...had we re-signed Burns, there is no way we could've signed Suter...and by extension Parise, either, as they were a package item.

So, essentially it was:

Brent Burns
2nd round pick

for

Devon Setoguchi
Charlie Coyle
Zach Phillips
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise

You tell me who won that trade? :sarcasm:

/streeeeeeetchhhhhing LOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTSSSSS...!>!>!11...

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Schultz was a quality shut-down Dman. And he broke the puck out better than Stoner, Falk, Skoula, Carney, and even Burns a lot of times.

Schultz sucks on the Oilers for the same reason Gilbert sucked on the Oilers. That team is weak and terrible in the Dzone. They run around an get out of position.

Schultz works well in a 5 man system because he will do his job very well and never go outside his job.

I can agree with preety much all of this.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Nah, it was all the All-Star's doing. :sarcasm:

Since Heatley has been named one of the nicest guys in the NHL by his peers in anon polls, i don't think sarcasm is warranted. A well-liked vet supporting the team and organization isn't going to be the be-all end-all of deciding factors but it's not nothing.

i thought it turned out Gilbert and Suter never really hung out that much? He isn't in Gilberts Badger posse is he?

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth

I think this guy is Schultz's cousin or something. Schultz was never a **** down defenseman

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
....nor was he any good at breaking the puck out, his forte was swinging the puck around the boards or chipping it off the glass....to the chagrin of Wild fans everywhere.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I agree. Schultz was a very good shutdown defenseman. Perfect for shutting down any hopes of a transition game and in turn, offense, for his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00